A Realy Great One

highdiver

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1920's, 30's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a Ute on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or Red Rooster.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy fruit tingles and some crackers to blow up frogs with.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and cubby houses and played in creek beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, nosurround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no

Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross buns at Easter time.......no really!

We were given BB guns and sling shots for our 10th birthdays,

We drank milk laced with Strontium 90 from cows that had eaten grass covered in nuclear fallout from the atomic testing at Maralinga in 1956.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!

Footy had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

Our teachers used to belt us with big sticks and leather staps and bully's always ruled the playground at school.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

Our parents got married before they had children and didn't invent stupid names for their kids like "Kiora" and "Blade" (Ed. Nothing wrong with Blade (named in honour of champion ruckman Brendan Lade))

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 70 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And if YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good. :o:D

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or Red Rooster.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy fruit tingles and some crackers to blow up frogs with.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and cubby houses and played in creek beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, nosurround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross buns at Easter time.......no really!

We drank milk laced with Strontium 90 from cows that had eaten grass covered in nuclear fallout from the atomic testing at Maralinga in 1956.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Footy had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

Our teachers used to belt us with big sticks and leather staps and bully's always ruled the playground at school.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

Our parents got married before they had children and didn't invent stupid names for their kids like "Kiora" and "Blade" (Ed. Nothing wrong with Blade (named in honour of champion ruckman Brendan Lade))

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good. :o:D

highdiver, Excellent! I have been wanting to say this for years. Gonna send this link to a frew friends. Well done indeed.

:D

My childhood in the filthy environment of post war Manchester left me naturally immune to diphtheria and hepatitis B (confirmed by doctors) and possibly typhus too.

But dysentery nearly killed me, as did a cerebral haemorrhage and cancer in later life.

But I'll be back in LOS in September, without zimmer frame or wheelchair.

We're 'ard, us survivors.

Edited by qwertz

Highdiver a truly brilliant post, one that bought back many sweet memories many thanks for reminding how the good life really was. pehaps in your post somewhere is the reminder that when the going gets tough,the tough get going, wouldnt happen to the mambied fairies of today !!

As a child of the 70's (born in 66), growing up in the countryside in southern UK, a lot of these vignettes ring true, especially the playing outside all day and not having to worry about anyone abducting you or ASBO's. We had true freedom of movement, when I were a kid, even to the point of hitching into the local town at the age of ten, and not getting a/ arrested; b/ nicked to our parents or c/ abducted. Coming back covered in mud or soaking wet in wellies after playing for 5 hours building dams in the local stream in the pouring rain, meant we never yearned after telly, apart from on Saturday mornings when the Banana Splits and Forest Rangers were on. :D

Aye, them were the days. Kids growing up in Thailand, especially upcountry still have those same freedoms, but its rapidly disappearing I notice as TV, Internet and fast food culture takes over from catapults, tree climbing and frog hunting expeditions to the fields.

As Ned's Atomic Dustbin asked: "Why don't you........KILL YOUR TV?!" :o

It ain't difficult...........I put a fishtank in mine and it's always on and always live pictures. :D

Yeah, we weren't wrapped in cotton wool. We didn't have to learn to eat with rubber fork & knife. No trainer wheels for us lot. If we fell down the stairs - tough titties - get back on your bike son & try again!!! :o

Cheers,

Soundman.

HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

Eh, and try telling that to kids these days, nope never listen, theyd rather be at home feet up on coffe table playing one of them computor thinggys or that tinternet with mam and dad running around and feeding em pies and drinks! i dont know where they get it from!

Doesn't it make you wonder how we ever survived with all the things we didn't have back then?

Short list:

Colour TV (didn't even have a black and white one till I was 15, radio ran off bloody big accumulator)

Juvenile labour laws (started work at 14)

Computer

Microwave

Electric toaster

Automatic washing machine

Dishwasher

Electric lights (gas lights till I was 10)

Supermarkets

Indian takeaways

Indoor toilet (ever tried sitting on a wooden seat in winter)

Bathroom (big zinc bath in front of the fire, boys and girls on alternate days)

Double glazing

Anyone remember Derbac soap and nit combs?

No bloody wonder I'm bald now.

Eh, we had fun though.

Rings pretty true overall. Fun post from highdiver who can sometimes be a strenuous guy to read. When watching news and internetish stuff, I often think about now v. then for what better time to be a kid. Gotta go with when I was a kid (YOB '66) v. now, for most of the reasons listed.

One thing, if you're American, you've had McD's and KFC, pizza, and sub shops since at least as far back as '71 (as far back as I can remember) and probably far longer, 'spose one could google it, but I'm too lazy.

God how many treehouses did we build on whoever's land at any given time! My mother wouldn't even bother to look for me unless I was gone for more than a couple of days! "Always out playing", how true! Biggest punishment for us (outside of a decent, uh, whupping) was "you go to your room!" Man, stuck in your room in Spring Summer, Fall, even WINTER! Closest I got to hel_l as a kid, except for some of my father's "projects" on his hunting lodge land in Maine, I now consider them "concentration camp" excercises along the lines of B.F. Skinner or Milgram's experiments on a juvenile mind. Weeding ponds, chopping wood, pulling out tree roots, all in the middle of NOWHERE at age 6-14! Okay, digression over.

Edited by calibanjr.

My dad grew up in Chicago in the 1930s. He remembers he and his friends carrying around .22 rifles to target shoot in undeveloped areas where he lived. The local SWAT team and the Homeland Security people would be all over that now. Funny though , I don't think there was much in the way of school massacres back then, but there was no shortage of guns.

Doesn't it make you wonder how we ever survived with all the things we didn't have back then?

Short list:

Colour TV (didn't even have a black and white one till I was 15, radio ran off bloody big accumulator)

Computer

Microwave

Electric toaster

Dishwasher

Supermarkets

Indian takeaways

Double glazing

Eh, we had fun though.

God , it's a tribute to medical science you're still alive.

You must be like REALLY OLD.

I remember London in the 50's.

We did have indoor plumbing (toilet , bath stuff like that)

I remember when the first (B/W) TV arrived.

I was 5 , kid brother was 3 and we were watching a "western" (Cisco Kid) until they started firing off the guns and I was OUTTA THERE until lil bro came out and told me it was OK it had stopped and I could come back in.

There used to be these areas in the neighbourhood called "bomb sites" which were just overgrown areas with a large hole in the ground where the basement of a building used to be. They were fun playgrounds.

When I was about 6 or so in Palo Alto, California circa 1957, there was lots of old orchard/undeveloped land. Used to climb into this old abandoned house, littered with broken glass, go to second floor, and JUMP UP AND DOWN with my mates; whole house on verge of collapsing around us. Used to ride a bicycle to far side of town (same age- 6 or 7), spend entire summer day at municipal pool, come home around 6 PM- no problem. Go exploring in creeks all day, catching frogs, pollywogs and myriad other creepy-crawlies...come home covered in mud head to toe, again no big deal.

Now this pestilence called lawyers has stopped all this perfectly good fun.... :o

Great post....I remember Guy Fawkes night in NZ when I was a kid everyone letting off fireworks in the evening sure every year some one lost their hand or got burnt.That just made it more fun :o

Guess they banned it not too sure long time since I been back there.

Short list:

Computer

Microwave

Electric toaster

Dishwasher

Supermarkets

Indian takeaways

Double glazing

Eh, we had fun though.

God , it's a tribute to medical science you're still alive.

You must be like REALLY OLD.

I remember London in the 50's.

We did have indoor plumbing (toilet , bath stuff like that)

I remember when the first (B/W) TV arrived.

I was 5 , kid brother was 3 and we were watching a "western" (Cisco Kid) until they started firing off the guns and I was OUTTA THERE until lil bro came out and told me it was OK it had stopped and I could come back in.

There used to be these areas in the neighbourhood called "bomb sites" which were just overgrown areas with a large hole in the ground where the basement of a building used to be. They were fun playgrounds.

Only original sin and Nignoy are older than I am, my son.

Should've been put down years ago but no bugger wanted to pay for the service.

HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

highdiver, Excellent! I have been wanting to say this for years. Gonna send this link to a frew friends. Well done indeed.

:D

Its neither original or new - been doing the rounds for years actully and do not know how anyone who has an internet connection and at least one friend could have missed it ;-)

In fact I am pretty sure Guesthouse posted it here (or another site) eons ago

Edited by Prakanong

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!

Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!

Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

I have never used it before but I'll make an exception this time. In the time honoured phrase of half the posters on this forum - "IF YOU DIDN'T LIKE IT WHY DIDN'T YOU PACK UP AND GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM?"

I received an identical email as the O.P. I think it was one of the first "FWD's" I received, quite a few years ago.

Just as, if not MORE poignantly valid today.

Nice to read it again.

hi guys...

yes all true.. and thats what made me search for a decent place to live and bring up my kids.... and for obvious reasons its not thailand.....lol

yes there are places that exist like the U.K in the 60's.... not too many laws and police that drink and drive as well.....

we have all the mod cons here - but apart from that its like when i was young, kids go out playing by themsleves and women still wear dresses and men the pants!!...

such places still do exist...

but not in the U.K or anywhere esle in the westonised/Mcdonalised world....

amarka -

It was pointed out to me not too long ago that I always always refer to the refrigerator as the 'icebox' which is of course a carryover from the 40's when we used ice for cooling food before the electrical refrigerator became common. As of late, I have tried to break myself of the habit with little success . Everyone seems to know what I am refering to when I use that term however I am not sure if other people also still use that term since it sounds so natural to me that I would not even notice if they did ??