Thai Moto2 Rider Hailed As A National Hero

webfact

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

They have three Female Thai golfers who are in the top 50 of the LPGA, with one ranked 5th in the world and 8 ranked in the top 100 including two sisters.

The problem with that is that they are female, and males are losing face as they are not as good as the women.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The problem with that is that they are female, and males are losing face as they are not as good as the women.

They could always claim Tiger Woods as a National Hero since he is of Thai heritage....but then most Thais do not like Luk Krueng

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

A real national hero. 

Chit.jpg

No doubt. But how does his story play with 18-20 yr old boys in 2022? National heros in widely different endeavours is a good thing. Being seen on the international stage whether sports, politics, science or entertainment spurs on the next generation. Degradation of accomplishments in any field is a strange mindset. 

• Like 1

Really folks, cummon... the fact is that "national hero" is as subjective as it gets. In the USA 1/2 the population would say Ronald Reagan is a "national hero" - the other 1/2 would not. Is Greta Thunburg a "national hero"? Is Muhammed Ali a "national hero"? 

Its all subjective, and debating whether or not a particular person IS a "national hero" is an exercise in futility and hardly worth the effort of the debate.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Really folks, cummon... the fact is that "national hero" is as subjective as it gets. In the USA 1/2 the population would say Ronald Reagan is a "national hero" - the other 1/2 would not. Is Greta Thunburg a "national hero"? Is Muhammed Ali a "national hero"? 

Its all subjective, and debating whether or not a particular person IS a "national hero" is an exercise in futility and hardly worth the effort of the debate.

It obviously bothers you that some of us make a distinction between a National Hero and then someone who won an event.  Time to go on your way

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 5/21/2022 at 6:22 PM, JonnyF said:

Just shows how low the bar is set. God help us if they ever produce a Valentino Rossi, a Lionel Messi, a Roger Federer or a Tyson Fury.

The "soft power" would be rock hard.

That 'low bar' you mention is a class of riders who rate as the best upcomers in the world, competing in one of the most closely fought categories of motor racing globally. Show a little respect.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mikebike said:

USA national heroes are usually as dumb as the rest of Americans so not really a good example.

4 hours ago, SmartyMarty said:

That 'low bar' you mention is a class of riders who rate as the best upcomers in the world, competing in one of the most closely fought categories of motor racing globally. Show a little respect.

Couple of wins in Moto 2 and currently 7th in the Championship. Not to be sniffed at but it's not exactly Valentino Rossi either, it's basically the kids class. If he moves up to MotoGP and secures a Championship or two I think he might be worthy of the title "National Hero", although even then I have reservations about making 'heroes' out of sportsmen, I'd rather apply the tag to people who do good, selfless work for the community, breakthroughs in medicine etc.

But like I said, when you very rarely win anything on the international stage I guess you have to take what you can get. Also, politicians love to try and bask in the achievements of others and stoke up a bit of nationalism, especially when a gullible audience is waiting to lap it up as you have done.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Couple of wins in Moto 2 and currently 7th in the Championship. Not to be sniffed at but it's not exactly Valentino Rossi either, it's basically the kids class. If he moves up to MotoGP and secures a Championship or two I think he might be worthy of the title "National Hero", although even then I have reservations about making 'heroes' out of sportsmen, I'd rather apply the tag to people who do good, selfless work for the community, breakthroughs in medicine etc.

But like I said, when you very rarely win anything on the international stage I guess you have to take what you can get. Also, politicians love to try and bask in the achievements of others and stoke up a bit of nationalism, especially when a gullible audience is waiting to lap it up as you have done.

Hop on a bike and show us what you can do Jonny.

• Haha 1