Thai Moto2 Rider Hailed As A National Hero

webfact

16 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

OK, let me make it simple for you as it appears that your username is not intended to be taken literally. The point is whether being a second tier sportsman with some limited success makes you a national hero.

Allow me to use an analogy. It would be like if I claimed that Ohara Davies is a national hero. Who is Ohara Davies, you might ask? He’s a pretty average boxer from the UK, not bad, but nothing special. Then when you question whether a second tier boxer from the UK is really a national hero, I retort “Well, he could beat YOU up”.

It’s an inane argument. Real low brow stuff. The type of "comeback" I’d expect from my 10 year old Nephew ????

Lets just say he is a National Champion for his class, that settles this whole BS as far as the OP goes

• Sad 1

On 5/21/2022 at 7:07 PM, ThailandRyan said:

They could always claim Tiger Woods as a National Hero since he is of Thai heritage....but then most Thais do not like Luk Krueng

Yes…. what about their woman Olympic badminton champion last year……

20 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

OK, let me make it simple for you as it appears that your username is not intended to be taken literally. The point is whether being a second tier sportsman with some limited success makes you a national hero.

Allow me to use an analogy. It would be like if I claimed that Ohara Davies is a national hero. Who is Ohara Davies, you might ask? He’s a pretty average boxer from the UK, not bad, but nothing special. Then when you question whether a second tier boxer from the UK is really a national hero, I retort “Well, he could beat YOU up”.

It’s an inane argument. Real low brow stuff. The type of "comeback" I’d expect from my 10 year old Nephew ????

I'm sure your 10 yo nephew is brighter than you but let me make it as simple as possible so perhaps, just maybe, a light will go on in your brain. The Moto 2 category has world class riders some of whom have raced in over 50 races and never stood on the podium. For the Thai rider to achieve the success he has to date, he well warrants being classed as a hero for Thai people. Thailand is not regarded as a well of great racing drivers or bike riders. This is very big stuff for the kingdom. Your belittling of his status shows either a complete lack of respect and/or complete ignorance of what he has achieved.

Thailand desperately needs heroes of any sort, at this time. And the government has nothing whatsoever to brag about, especially on the world stage. They are obviously grasping for straws, as they accomplish next to nothing on their own.

So, kudos to Somkiat. Moto GP is a very big deal, it is a very prestigious level of racing, and the top platform for motorcycles. Winning a Moto GP event is very difficult and running a team is very expensive. This guy would have to be a truly excellent rider to be selected to ride for one of these teams, and win. Hopefully he will be able to move up to Moto GP 1. That is the biking equivalent of Formula 1. 

46 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The UK had some second rate ski jumper that got hailed a hero, yeah ?

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

. Hopefully he will be able to move up to Moto GP 1. That is the biking equivalent of Formula 1. 

I thought MotoGP was the 2 wheel equivalent of F1.

What is Moto GP 1, Ive not heard of that class.

23 minutes ago, SmartyMarty said:

I'm sure your 10 yo nephew is brighter than you but let me make it as simple as possible so perhaps, just maybe, a light will go on in your brain. The Moto 2 category has world class riders some of whom have raced in over 50 races and never stood on the podium. For the Thai rider to achieve the success he has to date, he well warrants being classed as a hero for Thai people. Thailand is not regarded as a well of great racing drivers or bike riders. This is very big stuff for the kingdom. Your belittling of his status shows either a complete lack of respect and/or complete ignorance of what he has achieved.

Not at all. Once again the point has gone right over your head, or maybe you are simply deliberately creating a straw man? My criticism is not of the rider (as you imply in your post) but of the politician trying to bask in the glory. Like I said, national hero should be a label reserved for people who have achieved great things, and not necessarily in sport. Throwing around such a label simply devalues the term.

Winning a couple of motorbike races in the second tier of the sport is a good achievement and commendable, well done to the rider and let's hope he can progress to the top tier and do well there. However, labeling him a national hero is clutching at straws for a politician looking to bask in the glow of someone else's success, get his name in the news and whip up some nationalism at a time that the government is woefully failing the Thai people.

I hope that wasn't too complicated for you.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 11:52 AM, Geoffggi said:

Somkiat Chantra is a good rider but to place a label of "National Hero" is taking it a little too far

In a country that doesn't win much in the sporting world, I would have thought his country folk would look at him as a hero....????

Have you earned any accolade in the sporting world....????

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It obviously bothers you that some of us make a distinction between a National Hero and then someone who won an event.  Time to go on your way

.....and there are always people knocking a Thai's achievements, shame really, but expected... ????

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

The UK had some second rate ski jumper that got hailed a hero, yeah ?

If you're referring to "Eddie the Eagle", I can assure you he was far from second rate. He was at least fifth rate ????. He wasn't so much a national hero as he was an endearing figure who was famous for his lack of success, but yes he was thought of fondly, if somewhat a figure of fun.

If you're talking about serious competitors in motorsport, the UK has produced some all time greats like Lewis Hamilton, Carl Fogarty, Joey Dunlop, Jonathan Rea etc. and currently have 2 drivers in the top 6 of F1. We also have the most F1 championship titles of any country, ever.

4 minutes ago, transam said:

.....and there are always people knocking a Thai's achievements, shame really, but expected... ????

There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding on this thread of the difference between criticizing the Thai rider (which I don't think anyone is doing but simply putting his achievements so far in perspective) and criticizing the Thai Politician who is exaggerating the rider's achievements for his own benefit.

Same as Milli the Mango Muncher, I thought she was great fun and very entertaining actually, but I thought the Politicians attempts to claim that Thai 'soft power' was now being spread around the Globe were laughable.

Anyway I've explained it 3 times already, can't be bothered to do it again ????.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding on this thread of the difference between criticizing the Thai rider (which I don't think anyone is doing but simply putting his achievements so far in perspective) and criticizing the Thai Politician who is exaggerating the rider's achievements for his own benefit.

Same as Milli the Mango Muncher, I thought she was great fun and very entertaining actually, but I thought the Politicians attempts to claim that Thai 'soft power' was now being spread around the Globe were laughable.

Anyway I've explained it 3 times already, can't be bothered to do it again ????.

But I am looking at it with my perceived thoughts of Thai folk and their hero, not my farangy hero stuff.....???? 

40 minutes ago, transam said:

But I am looking at it with my perceived thoughts of Thai folk and their hero, not my farangy hero stuff.....???? 

So he is hailed as a National Hero in Mrs. Trans eyes then is what your saying.  Does she have his posters now dotting the walls and he and his bike as her screen saver.  I Have said before in my postings here that he is a National Champion, but a Hero is a little to much praise to be heaped upon the young man.  Not looking at it as a foreigner either.  I did ask my Thai friends about his being called a hero and they just shook their head and stated that anyone who wins anything is seen as a National Hero here in Thailand, but it is just a word to them and nothing more.  To them a National Hero would be someone who has given back to the community and done things to enhance the countries Image, very few of whom come to their minds.  One sport that has been repeated as producing National Heroes is Muay Thai, and how those Champions have integrated the sport into MMA and created other champions.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So he is hailed as a National Hero in Mrs. Trans eyes then is what your saying.  Does she have his posters now dotting the walls and he and his bike as her screen saver.  I Have said before in my postings here that he is a National Champion, but a Hero is a little to much praise to be heaped upon the young man.  Not looking at it as a foreigner either.  I did ask my Thai friends about his being called a hero and they just shook their head and stated that anyone who wins anything is seen as a National Hero here in Thailand, but it is just a word to them and nothing more.  To them a National Hero would be someone who has given back to the community and done things to enhance the countries Image, very few of whom come to their minds.  One sport that has been repeated as producing National Heroes is Muay Thai, and how those Champions have integrated the sport into MMA and created other champions.

I don't believe for one minute you contacted your Thai friends to ask if this bike rider was their hero.

Mrs.T doesn't follow motor sports, but the Thai lady Olympic weight lifting medal winner was her hero.....???? 

PS. You are looking at a word through farangy eyes, take off the farangy blinkers.........????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

So why don't you bother to read the post qouted as well as previous... or are your eyes painted on ?

What has the Brit "Eddie the Eagle" the ski jumper got to do with this thread, was he your hero then.....?

22 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It obviously bothers you that some of us make a distinction between a National Hero and then someone who won an event.  Time to go on your way

No. What bothers me is you think because you quote a dictionary you think you can judge the intent and meaning of a non-academic statement.  Absurd. The FACT remains that Chantra IS a national hero to some and not to others despite your personal feelings.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I thought MotoGP was the 2 wheel equivalent of F1.

What is Moto GP 1, Ive not heard of that class.

Within MotoGP, there are three classes which luckily, follow along roughly with the classes from the other series. MotoGP, the top level series, uses 1,000 cc bikes that are limited to four cylinders and a maximum bore of 81 mm.

Instead of each manufacturer making their own Moto 2 engine, those bikes all feature the same 600 cc four stroke, which is a Honda CBR600RR motor tuned by a company named ExternPro.

The Moto 3 bikes are all 250 cc, single cylinder machines. And while extremely close in performance, this “baby class” is a hotly contested engineering competition for the manufacturers. Oddly, the cost of Moto3 is reportedly 2-3 times as expensive as running in the Moto2 class.

MotoGP is the premiere form of motorcycle road racing in the world, and it carries two main distinctions. First, it attracts the best riders in the entire world. It's the main stage. The big show. To pilot a MotoGP bike is to be regarded among the best who've ever graced two wheels, even if you're a backmarker

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

What has the Brit "Eddie the Eagle" the ski jumper got to do with this thread, was he your hero then.....?

If you are not going to bother reading my post in context of the post I qouted.

Please take you ignorance elsewhere instead of attempting to bait me into a reply that will not be favoured by the moderators.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Within MotoGP, there are three classes which luckily, follow along roughly with the classes from the other series. MotoGP, the top level series, uses 1,000 cc bikes that are limited to four cylinders and a maximum bore of 81 mm.

Instead of each manufacturer making their own Moto 2 engine, those bikes all feature the same 600 cc four stroke, which is a Honda CBR600RR motor tuned by a company named ExternPro.

The Moto 3 bikes are all 250 cc, single cylinder machines. And while extremely close in performance, this “baby class” is a hotly contested engineering competition for the manufacturers. Oddly, the cost of Moto3 is reportedly 2-3 times as expensive as running in the Moto2 class.

MotoGP is the premiere form of motorcycle road racing in the world, and it carries two main distinctions. First, it attracts the best riders in the entire world. It's the main stage. The big show. To pilot a MotoGP bike is to be regarded among the best who've ever graced two wheels, even if you're a backmarker

Yeah 3 classes.

Moto 3

Moto 2

MotoGP.

No such class as Moto GP 1.

1 hour ago, mikebike said:

No. What bothers me is you think because you quote a dictionary you think you can judge the intent and meaning of a non-academic statement.  Absurd. The FACT remains that Chantra IS a national hero to some and not to others despite your personal feelings.

Please control your emotions, your leaking all over the internet with your crying....

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Please control your emotions, your leaking all over the internet with your crying....

Yes, logical responses = crying to those who are welded to their own internal biases. The world is a much less scary place if you take the time to understand nuance.

46 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

If you are not going to bother reading my post in context of the post I qouted.

Please take you ignorance elsewhere instead of attempting to bait me into a reply that will not be favoured by the moderators.

You missed one important thing, the wording, "National Hero", that means a THAI National hero, not yours or anybody else's country National hero meaning...

Some of you are probably the word "Farang" haters too, a THAI National word.....????