How to get a certificate from the US Embassy when renewing passport

I am about to renew my visa. Immigration told me in order to transfer my visa from my old passport to my new one I would need a certificate from the US Embassy (along with a few other documents that are pretty straightforward).

The problem is I don't see any mention of this certificate on the US Embassy website and when I emailed them they had no clue what I was referring to.

Can anyone explain how to get this?

I believe they just give you a letter addressed to immigration,

asking them to transfer from old passport to new ,at least the

UK Embassy does. it's just a standard letter.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

I just renewed my passport.

I did the entire process online, including payment.

The embassy (at the time I did mine, one month ago) only processed new passports by mail.

The only annoying part was that for return postage you need to get a bank check from a Thai bank.

When the new passport was returned to me, the letter you reference was included.

Now the real problem: It took forever to find the correct page to start the process.

If you start on one of (what appears to be several) the outdated pages, you will hit a dead end.

I believe this is the link to the proper page:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/instructions-for-ds-82-processing-by-mail-and-online-fee-payment-for-u-s-citizens-residing-in-thailand/

That resulted in a generated PDF with all of the required information that I only needed to sign.

Also note that you will need to setup an account on Pay.gov to make payment for the passport.

The process is full of little gotchas, so carefully read everything and follow the steps exactly.

If you do this properly, the process goes smoothly. I got my new passport back in 10 days.

Edited by timendres
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2022 at 4:49 PM, ricequeen said:

how many baht is the return envelope for your new passport?

I recently renewed my son's passport with the US Embassy in BKK, part of the process was to go to the Thai Post kiosk there in the US Embassy grounds and buy a return envelope, I pretty sure it was 100b.

• Thanks 1