Anti-Monkeypox measures introduced at Thai airports

webfact

How boring; I am getting ready for the next stint already. I hear that the mice cough, the flea flu and the elephant rash is on its fast way to Thailand - beware of the next pandemic with compliments of the system ???? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Please, you are scaring away the 1 million tourist coming. They say monkey pox can be pass on threw rats as well I'll bet there are a few in Bangkok.

Scary... the rat variety is endless.

• Like 1

As a Brit who’ll be flying to Thailand next week I’m pretty nervous about how this is going. I can envisage a ban on new arrivals from the UK if our numbers continue to rise as they have been over the past few days.

All of this caused by some absolute plonker deciding to visit some s-hole in Africa. 

3 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

The vast majority of monkeypox cases are not sexually transmitted and it's only this (so far) very small outbreak of only around 100 cases that seems to involve mostly gay or bisexual men. This is almost certainly due to the "founder effect" whereby the small current outbreak seems to have started at a couple of "super spreader" events in Spain and Belgium involving MSM (men who have sex with men).

In areas of Africa where it's endemic and there are thousands of cases per year (largely ignored by the Western media) it spreads from person to person via close, non-sexual contact so sexual orientation plays little or no part in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thisisrascal said:

All of this caused by some absolute plonker deciding to visit some s-hole in Africa. 

What evidence do you have for such a claim?

Nobody knows how this latest outbreak in Western countries started.

The 2003 outbreak in the US for instance, came from rodents imported from Ghana to the US and then spread further, via pet prairie dogs that got infected, to their owners.

How Did the U.S. Handle the 2003 Monkeypox Outbreak?

For all we know this could have started in a similar manner.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The vast majority of monkeypox cases are not sexually transmitted and it's only this (so far) very small outbreak of only around 100 cases that seems to involve mostly gay or bisexual men. This is almost certainly due to the "founder effect" whereby the small current outbreak seems to have started at a couple of "super spreader" events in Spain and Belgium involving MSM (men who have sex with men).

In areas of Africa where it's endemic and there are thousands of cases per year (largely ignored by the Western media) it spreads from person to person via close, non-sexual contact so sexual orientation plays little or no part in it.

Monkeypox is largely transmitted through close, skin-to-skin contact with people who have lesions as a result of the virus. You can also catch the virus through respiratory droplets if you're around an infected person with lesions in their mouth for an extended period.

Just now, simon43 said:

From reading about how it has been spreading, I guess your comment is meant to be taken literally! ????

Well the trip really did turn into a bit of bummer for him ????

On 5/25/2022 at 12:42 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

According to WHO....

Can I stop you right there? The WHO have a vested interest in keeping the general populace in a constant state of alarm due to them wanting every country in the world to sign-up to their Global Pandemic Treaty... And don't let the WaPo or any other mealy mouthed publication tell you otherwise.

There's plenty of expert virologists that will give you the straight facts about the monkey pox without the fear factor.

Edited by onthedarkside
unsourced / unsubstantiated comment removed

I should add that for Britons aged 50 and over, they should already have enough robust protection against this virus as the vast majority would have had the smallpox jab as a child or as a teen. Britons were routinely offered smallpox jabs until the 1970s, when the scheme was deemed no longer necessary because the virus had been beaten into submission. Similar programmes were wound down across the world at the same time. There's plenty of articles available online about this, so don't let the WHO panic you into yet another Chicken Little scenario.

Edited by Senior Player