Jump to content

High Quality UPS Required - Suggestions Please!


Recommended Posts

I have 5 UPSs at the moment - 4 in the computer room and 1 in the bedroom.

 

One in the computer room has just failed so I need to replace it. 

I won't say which brand of UPS I currently use as I don't want to influence what people might suggest.

 

So I'd really like some pointers as to which UPS manufacturer you use and consider of good quality and reliability.

 

Thanks.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you brought this up, I need to invest in a UPS as we suffer power spikes, on the Darkside of Pattaya, and it's not really good for the TV or TV box, so if respondents could indicate price as well that would be nice, TIA. 😎

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I have only APC Ups.

 

These for my TV's/Fridge/Router

 

http://i.nvade.it/exg

 

and these for my PC's / NAS

 

http://i.nvade.it/bx8

 

These last ones are a bit expensive because they are "smart" that means they will shutdown the PC when there is a power cut and there is only so much Power Left in the Battery. (You can adjust the limit)

 

Edit: Link goes to Invadeit (https://www.invadeit.co.th/

 

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Backup generator, just battery or simple surge protector?

Link to post
Share on other sites

In Australia I was using "Eaton" UPS backups that were quite reliable. Always used good quality batteries. My wife tried some of the local products here and generally issues with reliability after 18 months or so the incidence of Gel Cell battery failure here was also a bit of an issue as problems only became apparent when the UPS was in use. I think you can purchase "Eaton" products here  hope this helps    

http://powerquality.eaton.com/thailand/products-services/legacy/th-legacy-products.asp?cx=45

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Please excuse my ignorance, I take it that you just plug one of these into the power outlet and plug your devices into the UPS, I only have 4 devices that need protection, TV, TV box, and the 2 boxes for the internet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Please excuse my ignorance, I take it that you just plug one of these into the power outlet and plug your devices into the UPS, I only have 4 devices that need protection, TV, TV box, and the 2 boxes for the internet.

Yep.

 

But you have to see how much power your devices use so you can buy the appropriate UPS for all 4 devices. Or just buy 2. 1 for the TV and the TV Box and 1 for the Routers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Yep.

 

But you have to see how much power your devices use so you can buy the appropriate UPS for all 4 devices. Or just buy 2. 1 for the TV and the TV Box and 1 for the Routers.

Thanks for the info, only 1 device has a standard plug, that's the 55" TV, the other 3 have a plug with built in step down transformer, so I wouldn't think the power drain is that big.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Golden Triangle said:

Thanks for the info, only 1 device has a standard plug, that's the 55" TV, the other 3 have a plug with built in step down transformer, so I wouldn't think the power drain is that big.

If you plug them all in and the UPS starts Beeping like mad you know you are draining too much power.

 

Please also note, that a UPS (for your TV, Router) will not turn off your devices, but will keep them running when the power cuts out for a couple of minutes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

MJCM, very many thanks, I know diddly squat UPS's you have made me very much more equipped to be able to make an educated choice on what I need, the router boxes belong to the internet company but I have heard of people being charged for them if they suffer damage. Best I go shopping soon.👍🏻😉

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, mahtin said:

Backup generator, just battery or simple surge protector?

I actually did consider getting a backup generator - like my neighbour has. Every time the electric authority work on the power lines or transformers, they let us know but it's still a day without power. 

 

But that happens so infrequently that I dismissed the idea. I now use just big UPSs with batteries that last at least enough time to finish what I'm working on, on the computer(s), or safely power off the smart TV(s).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

I have only APC Ups.

 

These for my TV's/Fridge/Router

 

http://i.nvade.it/exg

 

and these for my PC's / NAS

 

http://i.nvade.it/bx8

 

These last ones are a bit expensive because they are "smart" that means they will shutdown the PC when there is a power cut and there is only so much Power Left in the Battery. (You can adjust the limit)

 

Edit: Link goes to Invadeit (https://www.invadeit.co.th/

 

Hi MJCM - have you had any problems with your APC 700's and 750's?

 

My UPS model is the "APC Back-UPS Pro 1500" (model BR1500GI). Here is a link to that model at APC.com:  https://bit.ly/38k49w0  

So I have 5 of those - 3 are for the computers and 2 are for the 2 smart TVs. 

 

I have used this model for about 18 years. But, over the years I have collected 2 - correction, 3 - duds.

Today's failure makes it 3.

The one that failed to start today displayed the exact same fault on its screen as the other two - "F02".

It came with a 3 year warranty in 2018. 

 

This error is not fixable by changing the batteries as some unhelpful posters on other internet sites have suggested.

The fault is probably more likely an internal relay welded or a component fault.

 

So I'm now thinking of changing from the big UPSs to two smaller ones or even change to a similar big one from a different manufacturer such as "CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD" - another 1500VA UPS. 

Here's a link to that model at their site:  https://bit.ly/3Ny0pFX 

 

Any thoughts?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have never owned one that lasted more than 2 years. Name brands. All junk.

 

Any suggestions? 

Change the battery - they normally only last about 2 years before needing replacement.  On many cheaper units very easy to change.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I have a APC UPS (BX1400U-MS)

Once the power button failed (was working, but not reliable), contacted the manufacturer, had a replacement unit 2 days later, the courier took the defective unit with him, problem solved. Other than that no problem. I think I've never had such an easy and fast warranty claim, so I would recommend them.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

I have a APC UPS (BX1400U-MS)

Once the power button failed (was working, but not reliable), contacted the manufacturer, had a replacement unit 2 days later, the courier took the defective unit with him, problem solved. Other than that no problem. I think I've never had such an easy and fast warranty claim, so I would recommend them.

My 3 year warranty ran out a year ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Change the battery - they normally only last about 2 years before needing replacement.  On many cheaper units very easy to change.

Already did. That doesn't fix it and didn't fix the previous one that failed with the same error displayed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

My 3 year warranty ran out a year ago.

Did you ever change the battery? Same as batteries in motorbikes etc., in my experience the average life span of those batteries is about 3 years.

 

Edit: Nevermind, just saw your post above.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a larger APC. Not sure of model but has 4 batteries. Bought second hand and replaced batteries on purchase and I think one other time. You can also buy an APC battery pack that plugs directly into the UPS and extends run time. I think it has 4 batteries as well.

 

I run my 27" iMac, Raspberry pie, router, 49" TV, large sound bar, Apple TV and many smaller electronics.

 

Has worked well for me and would buy APC again.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

I won't say which brand of UPS I currently use as I don't want to influence what people might suggest.

Why not?

4 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

So I'd really like some pointers as to which UPS manufacturer you use and consider of good quality and reliability.

I use Zircon, Thailand brand but made in China. My unit got broken within 3 months after the purchase lol (seems to be some problem with the controller firmware). Got it repaired for free even without registering the unit online, despite it has like a million stickers saying "please register within 7 days after purchase for warranty" on the UPS itself, on the brochure, the box, and everywhere else.

Given the 3x cheaper price than the three letter brand I'm very satisfied with it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a brand called Cleanline supplied by a local company called Powermatic but probably produced in China. It's been about 8 years and I've only had 1 of about 20 outright fail. Batteries need to be replaced every few years though as with most UPS. I can't speak to the company's warranty process or support because I didn't have to use it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

To me the definition of a high-quality product is one that completes the job which it's supposed to do. 

 

I'm using a Thai brand, Chuphotic MOON-i, and for so far now (one year) I'm satisfied with its performance.

Edited by somchaismith
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have never owned one that lasted more than 2 years. Name brands. All junk.

 

Any suggestions? 

Agree with you and you were lucky to have one that lasted even 2 years before either the battery needed replacement at a ridiculous cost or else the software/wiring decided to screw itself, and for one of those it was for a UPS that initially cost over 40k. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have never owned one that lasted more than 2 years. Name brands. All junk.

 

Any suggestions? 

Same ....

Then I purchased a Suoer 1kW inverter and a 100AH 12v battery (10kbht) which worked perfectly and provided backup for 1-2 hours.

Now I've moved on to a 5k5 whole house inverter and a 300AH 48v battery which provides backup for 20hrs to the whole house (cost 65kbht) and enough solar panels to completely recharge the batteries nearly every day (30kbht).

 

The UPS problems are due to the low power batteries inside them.

When they operate for more than a few minutes they kill the battery.

Edited by BritManToo
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Excel said:

Agree with you and you were lucky to have one that lasted even 2 years before either the battery needed replacement at a ridiculous cost or else the software/wiring decided to screw itself, and for one of those it was for a UPS that initially cost over 40k. 

I am finished with the UPS mafia. Would rather have my system shut down every once in a blue moon, than cater to their low quality, over priced products. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I am finished with the UPS mafia. Would rather have my system shut down every once in a blue moon, than cater to their low quality, over priced products. 

Over priced at 1,500 baht or less?  Which is all most users require - even if you do not change battery and replace unit every year or two seems cost effective to me.  Computers can have issues with sudden power loss or voltage spikes.  If using battery laptop probably not so important.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...