High Quality UPS Required - Suggestions Please!

JetsetBkk

17 hours ago, fdsa said:

Why not?

I use Zircon, Thailand brand but made in China. My unit got broken within 3 months after the purchase lol (seems to be some problem with the controller firmware). Got it repaired for free even without registering the unit online, despite it has like a million stickers saying "please register within 7 days after purchase for warranty" on the UPS itself, on the brochure, the box, and everywhere else.

Given the 3x cheaper price than the three letter brand I'm very satisfied with it.

I've used Zircon in the past. I think the amount of equipment I had increased and exceeded what the Zircon UPS could handle. I don't recall having any problem with it.

11 minutes ago, RedBackman said:

There is just a fundamental misunderstanding of what most of these UPS are designed to do. They aren't really meant to be extended backup power but more of a device protection measure. During normal run they can protect from surges, swells, sags, line noise, brown outs, etc and during a blackout they allow you to gracefully transition to something else. For larger more critical systems that's normally a backup generator bu if you don't have a backup power system that means save your work, shut down, and turn the UPS off as soon as possible to prevent damaging the battery.

Exactly!  ????

13 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Over priced at 1,500 baht or less?  Which is all most users require - even if you do not change battery and replace unit every year or two seems cost effective to me.  Computers can have issues with sudden power loss or voltage spikes.  If using battery laptop probably not so important.

At 1500 they break down all the time. At 4500 baht they break down only once a year. My desktop computer has shut down many times due to this junk not working. Never had an issue with the computer. Only with the UPS junk. Nah. I see a scam. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

At 1500 they break down all the time. At 4500 baht they break down only once a year. Nah. I see a scam. 

Suspect use may be backup power rather than short term turn off?  I have had no issues here in Bangkok with cheapest units as shut down and turn off within a few minutes.  Higher cost unit with programmed shutdown would likely be useful for some locations or if not at home most of time.  As work life required UPS/voltage regulators since 1966 really find current cheap units amazing and well worth the cost.  I do not see a scam.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

So I'd really like some pointers as to which UPS manufacturer you use and consider of good quality and reliability.

SYNDOME is the best by far. Don't be cheap and spend the extra money and get the syndome extreme that comes with 2 batteries. I have 2 and all I need to do is change the batteries every year to year and a half. Reliable and works well. Don't go for the 1 battery unit. It is worth spending the 7 000 bht to get  a good one.

https://www.syndome.com/product/ups/innovative-group/extreme-series/ups-extreme-1000/

check on this page they also have a 1200 w version. I ordered online and been well served.

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

At 1500 they break down all the time. At 4500 baht they break down only once a year. My desktop computer has shut down many times due to this junk not working. Never had an issue with the computer. Only with the UPS junk. Nah. I see a scam. 

What do you mean by shutdown here? Like shutdown instantly when the UPS kicks in?  Maybe if you have a really sensitive PSU that doesn't like modified sine wave? Or it could be that you have an undersized UPS for your setup. If you mean a power outage happens when you aren't around and you come back to find the computer off, then that's just the expected result for longer power outages...

1 hour ago, Pouatchee said:

SYNDOME is the best by far. Don't be cheap and spend the extra money and get the syndome extreme that comes with 2 batteries. I have 2 and all I need to do is change the batteries every year to year and a half. Reliable and works well. Don't go for the 1 battery unit. It is worth spending the 7 000 bht to get  a good one.

https://www.syndome.com/product/ups/innovative-group/extreme-series/ups-extreme-1000/

check on this page they also have a 1200 w version. I ordered online and been well served.

The number of batteries isn't really a determining factor of quality or what will be best for your use-case. Sometimes more batteries just means more problems as it's another potential point of failure. Get an appropriate sized UPS for your load with the features you want.

Also switching batteries every 1 - 1.5 years is a little frequent unless your power situation is really messed up...as I mentioned before you should try to avoid deep cycling regular lead-acid batteries which greatly reduces life span. Also keep them away from heat and humidity (Thailand????) as much as possible. Maybe a scheduled cleaning of the UPS if dust is a problem, the vents/fans aren't for style.

3 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

I've used a Syndome UPS in the past, but not a big one as in your link. I had no problems with it that I can recall, but I just needed a bigger one so went with APC brand.

I used many brands including cheap and expensive.

I had one expensive APC fail after 13 months - just out of warranty.

I had others fail and others were good for years.

One easy principle is: Buy cheap with 3 years warranty including warranty on the battery.

42 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

One easy principle is: Buy cheap with 3 years warranty including warranty on the battery.

Nice principle! ????   Impossible to find, though. My 3 years warranty APC died after 4 years.

I just ordered another APC BR1600 for 15,100 baht. If it lasts 3 years, I'll be happy.

On 5/25/2022 at 12:19 PM, MJCM said:

I have only APC Ups.

These for my TV's/Fridge/Router

http://i.nvade.it/exg

and these for my PC's / NAS

http://i.nvade.it/bx8

These last ones are a bit expensive because they are "smart" that means they will shutdown the PC when there is a power cut and there is only so much Power Left in the Battery. (You can adjust the limit)

Edit: Link goes to Invadeit (https://www.invadeit.co.th/

APC (Schneider Electric) used to be the brand to go to but since they moved manufacturing to Philippines, their quality is no longer quite the same. I still use their stuff but it's no longer any better than Syndome, Cleanline, and other much cheaper brands.

More or less all of them will have batteries fail after a year or 2, and many have onsite maintenance where the box is opened, battery replaced and it works another few years.

On 5/26/2022 at 7:07 PM, tomazbodner said:

APC (Schneider Electric) used to be the brand to go to but since they moved manufacturing to Philippines, their quality is no longer quite the same. I still use their stuff but it's no longer any better than Syndome, Cleanline, and other much cheaper brands.

You may have something here. And many thanks to "OneMoreFarang" for mentioning the years they last. I just checked the "Quality Assurance Test" certificates that are still stuck to the sides of all my APC UPSs:

Use    Bought

TV1:   02/2013 

WiFi:  03/2014 

02/2015 - bad

PC 1:  01/2016 

TV2:  03/2017 

11/2018 - bad :: I wonder if that one was made in the Philippines.

But the good news is... I just checked the 3rd "Bad" UPS, and discovered that it was bought in May last year!

And it wasn't "Bad" at all - it was a spare!  ???? 

So I'd put it in the wrong pile of junk in the computer room! 

I've been using it for the last couple of days without problems. In fact, today the power glitched three times just before a howling wind and heavy rain came. The room lights flickered but the UPSs did their job.

And I just got a call from Advice Computers to tell me the new UPS has arrived, so I'll go get that now and put a sticker on it that says "Spare"!  ???? 

My last Philippines made UPS would not give power anymore, but wasn't beeping either... When picking it up I noticed a rattling sound. Unscrewed the plate and the speaker fell out... well "speaker" is too strong of a word. A half a cm black cylinder with 2 legs and a small hole at the top that makes noise when there's current running through it... beeper or whatever would be more appropriate word. Looked at it each time I was tempted to buy another APC product...

• Haha 1