Thailand prevails! Country named as "Biohub" by impressed WHO - Anutin praised

webfact

3 minutes ago, internationalism said:

from what can be gathered from reading forum at that time...

And herein lies the problem? What was being reported on a foreigners forum (from touristy areas) is not the same as what was happening on the ground in Thailand. I personally wrote on 2 different occasions about the availability of all the vaccines to ANY nationality as a walk-in. No appt. was necessary from anywhere in Thailand. The Surin Elephant festival even had an outdoor vaccine unit set up at the admission gate (Nov 2021?) The local hospital also did an outreach program to the villagers who had transport problems (offering Moderna full or booster options as well as AZ /Sinovac). If you were amongst the locals as opposed to touristy areas the options were there.

14 minutes ago, internationalism said:

Problem with vax (as well as with immigration), it's not consistent across the country.

Agreed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I think reading forum is the best source for what is happening in across thailand in expat community (much less of tourists, who rather congregate on fb and the other social media in discussion groups in many different languages). 

there is really no any other info about covid and vax program for foreigners, with ministry of foreign affairs and consulates issuing only random communications and never disclosing data. Often official data is distorted on purpose, like this one from dr Anutin, who even is able to fool WHO

10 minutes ago, Guderian said:

And not one of them wearing a face mask indoors! Clearly, there's one set of rules for the bigwigs and another set for the peons like us.

The photo is in Geneva, Switzerland, where as with most other countries the wearing of masks is no longer compulsory.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, vivananahuahin said:

No mask there in 2 weeks we will read some important news about incubation, about all these people shaking hands and drinking together, funny world...

Last time he couldn't get a visa for Switzerland. This time let's hope he doesn't bring back any MonkeyPox with him. The Thai foreign minister recently returned to Thailand with covid-19 acquired on his travels. 

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40015751

Edited by onthedarkside
corrected weblink

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Anutin said that Thailand's Covid response had employed "soft power using Thainess - smile first, wai first and that will make a hard task appear much easier".

????

6 hours ago, webfact said:

This showed how far the country had come from the early days of the pandemic when Anutin got embroiled in a spat with a non-mask wearing foreigner, had his own mask wearing issues and presided over delays in the procurement of imported and locally produced vaccine, notes ASEAN NOW.

All that was in the past as Anutin said that Thailand had been lauded for its Covid-19 response after a WHO team was sent to the country to discover how they did it. 

Swept under the carpet, forgotten about, in the mist of time... etc etc etc

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, micmichd said:

I'm a foreigner, and I got my vaccinations (incl. booster) for free in Thailand. 

a very large part of expats have received their first vax from donated vials from the usa, UK and others starting from end of August.

Later on boosters thai contracted , when there was already surplus. 

Thai medics, who were vaxed with donated pfizer, had to pose for photos with portrait of dr Anutin with caption "Thank you Anutin for vaccination". That was exposed and ridiculed with photoshoped picture of Biden.

Thai authorities were not telling their citizens and to foreigners from where their vax come. Opposite, they tried to mislead this info.

Also I think that there was not a large booster intake, as omicron danger was low and many considered their 2 initial once good enough.

I had my booster in europe and my health application is not allowing me for the second booster, not offering any date to chose.  Personally I would prefer the second generation booster, they yet to be imported to thailand

Edited by internationalism

7 hours ago, webfact said:

there was much consternation among Thai watchers that the country would not treat everyone equally. 

This proved unfounded as foreigners in the kingdom lined up alongside Thais for their jabs

The consternation was actually quite well founded; for the first several months of the chaotic vaccination program, they did not treat everyone equally, and it was extremely difficult for most foreigners to get inoculated.

As noted by others here, foreigners only began to be vaccinated in large numbers once vaccines had been donated by the US and other countries. Boosters are now indeed being given on a completely equal basis without regard to nationality, but that doesn't change what happened earlier on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, michaelgoulden said:

And would you beleive it,

No masks nessasary for that meeting.

When you think it's over that's when it bites you in the ass. Most of my friends have or had covid and most have long covid. Going to a funnel later today for a nice old guy who died from long covid.

17 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I was the only foreigner there and upon showing my UK passport I was turned away...

At that time the way to get the door open was /is with a Thai ID number. Issued to those with a Yellow House Book/ Pink Card which shows a closer connection with Thailand.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1