The next U.S. abortion battle is over pills, and it's already begun

onthedarkside

1604763003_Screenshot2.jpg.4572d0e8708f86ec502b91801df8f80b.jpg

WASHINGTON, May 26 (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court has not yet released its decision that looks set to dramatically scale back abortion rights, but one of the next legal battles has already begun in a Mississippi court.

That is where the manufacturer of a pill used to carry out medication abortions, Las Vegas-based GenBioPro Inc, has filed a federal lawsuit challenging the conservative state's restrictions on the pill, used in more than half of all U.S. abortions.

Litigation over medication abortion, approved for use at up to 10 weeks of pregnancy, is likely to take center stage should the Supreme Court gut or overturn the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion nationwide.

(more)

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/next-us-abortion-battle-is-over-pills-its-already-begun-2022-05-26/

Always a very hotly debated subject. I am not religious but I am pro-life with conditions. That is, a woman should be able to choose in case of rape or a medical diagnosis that something is wrong. However, if after consensual intercourse...that is knowledge of the possible consequences...then I would support a denial. If the child was still unwanted at birth there is the option of adoption. I do not agree with religion imposing a ban on precautions so IMHO this is where the choice is...take precaution or accept a possible pregnancy.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RocketDog said:

So the battle for control of other people's bodies continues as it has for millenia.

It almost always has its roots in religion.

Sad.

I've never understood why any man's opinion has any bearing on abortion.

Before Trump the US had rule OF law. Now it may be rule BY Law of the Bible!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

My body, my choice ... seems to be selective application to some.

Where was 'my body, my choice' when it came to mandatory vaccination.

Where is 'my home, my choice, I'll defend it with a firearm' from those that have.

Freedoms don't seem to exist.  You can't even express an opinion or thought anymore in some places, or show a symbol (ex: swastika), as illegal.  

The sad part is that the religious people who are against abortion (kill a human being) have no problem buying guns and using them while one of their 10 commandments says, thou shall not kill.

• Like 2

women are the gatekeepers to society. if she doesn't want her baby to be born, chances are it's better for the society that the baby isn't born. the earth is peopled already with mindless spacefillers, abortion should be available for anyone that wants it, unless you want an overpopulation of spawning idiots

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

women are the gatekeepers to society. if she doesn't want her baby to be born, chances are it's better for the society that the baby isn't born. the earth is peopled already with mindless spacefillers, abortion should be available for anyone that wants it, unless you want an overpopulation of spawning idiots

Is pregnancy prevention not a better choice?

2 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Is pregnancy prevention not a better choice?

Well, the same people who oppose abortion have managed to defund Planned Parenthood in several states because of its support of abortion. Planned Parenthood is the leading provider of contraceptive services in the USA. It's especially focused on providing services to women on low income.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Probably because we're expected to pay for the children.

wouldn't that be an argument that men might favour abortion rights?

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Agree!

as explained previously, pregnancy isn't contagious and can't kill people who are not pregnant.

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

wouldn't that be an argument that men might favour abortion rights?

Personally, I like having kids and would never enter into a relationship with a woman who was known to have previously killed her own children. IMHO people who don't want children should refrain from having sex.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Personally, I like having kids and would never enter into a relationship with a woman who was known to have previously killed her own children. IMHO people who don't want children should refrain from having sex.

well tat would be 99% of the profiles on TF for a start. Should sex lead to procreation or be reserved for those who wish to procreate. There are plenty of bible bashers who think so.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Now if only there were a way to have sex and not have children. What about some devices? Or maybe a pill? Who knows? Maybe one day such things will actually exist? But until then, your sentiments make perfect sense.

On 5/26/2022 at 5:47 PM, KhunLA said:

My body, my choice ... seems to be selective application to some.

Where was 'my body, my choice' when it came to mandatory vaccination.

There were no mandatory vaccinations.  Nobody was forced to get vaccinated.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scott said:

Many businesses, USA & TH made vaccination mandatory, to be employed there.  Along with healthcare & military.  Gov't instituted mandates, in the USA (military for one), as the appeals make their way through the court system, and the mandates are voided, but didn't help those that lost their jobs, or now discharged from the military for refusing vaccinations.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/feb/02/us-army-covid-vaccine-discharge-soldiers

My daughter needed to be vaccinated here/TH to work where she's working.

Certainly not just in USA:

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/vaccine/Pages/healthcare-workers-mandatory-vaccination.aspx#:~:text=Yes.,the Private Health Facilities Act).

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Many businesses, USA & TH made vaccination mandatory, to be employed there.  Along with healthcare & military.  Gov't instituted mandates, in the USA (military for one), as the appeals make their way through the court system, and the mandates are voided, but didn't help those that lost their jobs, or now discharged from the military for refusing vaccinations.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/feb/02/us-army-covid-vaccine-discharge-soldiers

My daughter needed to be vaccinated here/TH to work where she's working.

Certainly not just in USA:

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/vaccine/Pages/healthcare-workers-mandatory-vaccination.aspx#:~:text=Yes.,the Private Health Facilities Act).

Pretty much wrong.  Nobody was forced to take a vaccine.  You always had a choice.  No one had a needle stuck in their arm without permission.  Most employers had this as a part of their 'mandate':

Employees may be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or be tested on a weekly basis and to have a negative test before coming to work.

Military personnel who did not want to get vaccinated were discharged.  

So no, you were not forced to get vaccinated.  The choice is yours, if you don't you won't go to jail, you won't be fined.  Any consequence you face is of your own choosing.   You are exempt for a whole host or reasons including vague 'religious' exemptions.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scott said:

Pretty much wrong.  Nobody was forced to take a vaccine.  You always had a choice.  No one had a needle stuck in their arm without permission.  Most employers had this as a part of their 'mandate':

Employees may be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or be tested on a weekly basis and to have a negative test before coming to work.

Military personnel who did not want to get vaccinated were discharged.  

So no, you were not forced to get vaccinated.  The choice is yours, if you don't you won't go to jail, you won't be fined.  Any consequence you face is of your own choosing.   You are exempt for a whole host or reasons including vague 'religious' exemptions.  

Not much of a choice, vax or lose your livelihood.  Or ability to attend school for some.  

Just now, KhunLA said:

Not much of a choice, vax or lose your livelihood.  Or ability to attend school for some.  

But you still have a choice and it's your choice. 

1 hour ago, Scott said:

1 hour ago, Scott said:

1 hour ago, Scott said:

So, in a world where woman are pressured to carry to term via mandates, the correct hypothetical analogy would be

- "There are no mandatory vaccinations"
- "No pregnant woman is forced to carry to term."
- "They are have a choice"
- "No one made you birth to your child without permission."
- "Most employers had this as part of their 'mandate'"
- "The choice is hers, if you don't, you won't go to jail, you won't be fined"
- "Any consequences of terminating the pregnancy is of her own choosing."
- "The pregnant woman is exempt for a whole host of reasons, including various exemptions."

That still isn't a good look is it?

12 hours ago, placeholder said:

Do you understand that pregnancy is not contagious?  That whether or not a woman has an abortion is not going to have an potential effect on the community at large? Which is not the case with not getting vaccinated.

I think everyone understands pregnancy is not contagious.

However, when it comes to second and even third trimester abortions, the human being you are killing is, in my humble opinion, at least as important that the 'community' at large.

Besides, your response is to a post debunking the flimsy 'my body my choice' slogan, when it is the body of another human being decimated that is at the heart of the opposition to abortion. But you knew that already.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2022 at 7:32 AM, RocketDog said:

So the battle for control of other people's bodies continues as it has for millenia.

It almost always has its roots in religion.

Sad.

I've never understood why any man's opinion has any bearing on abortion.

Why the dishonest sound-bite. You should well know that the obvious riposte from the religious right would be: what about the body of the unborn child.

"I've never understood why any man's opinion has any bearing on abortion"
Perhaps try widening your exposure to other points of view...or even sit and reflect for a while, and do the Socrates thing, and maybe ask...should I, as a man, have an opinion on vaginal rape, or is that a silly question that focuses on the sex of the questioner, rather than the morality of the act.

It's quite easy really. You could do it like this: should I, as a non-black person, have an opinion on the morality of chattel slavery etc etc etc.