How Much To Tip Traditional Masseuses ?

Trevor

Meemiathai asked a simple question if Neeranam would do the job. You end up telling me the only difficult part is surviving the heat.

And yes, surviving the heat is the only part difficult. And the only difficult is surviving the heat. So what is it that makes you think since surviving the heat is the only part that is difficult thus making it not difficult? You think fighting war in Iraq is difficult for a soldier? Well the only part that is ..blah blah

Wow you got me there. Armed conflict and caddying - really like twin occupations wouldn’t you say.

Perhaps I should have said. When caddying in tropical climes, one finds the heat to be the biggest concern. This and the numerous roadside bombs can combine to make a very long day indeed.

Well ok I can delete the soldier part. So?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give my caddies 200-300 baht a time. And I don't give a ###### what you, they, or Neeranam thinks of that.

The day I take advice on how to spend money I work hard(ly) to earn is the day hel_l freezes over.

People like to think how they are not enjoying their lives whilst they think it is easy for others.

And Caddy is not easy job!!! They get heat strokes once in a while! They get soaked when it rains!

No. its EZ, in some places it is a job done by 12 year olds. Many people have outside jobs in Thailand. The caddies dress for it, they drink lots of fluids, they have umbrellas, and they always duck into the shade. They get wet? is that life threatining in some way?

Would I caddy? Absolutely - if I was incapable of finding a better paying job. But I have a good education and I work hard. So it would be very strange if couldn’t find better money. If wages were not to be considered, it would be a great job for someone with some people skills. I'll bet they like their jobs as much as any average random person likes their job.

Edited by canuckamuck

I think nationalities play a part in tipping too. When I went with my friend to New York (she's from there), she told me to tip all service suppliers, e.g. taxi drivers, waiters, bar staff, shop service staff, etc. That was cool, as I knew it was expected and seen as part of the wages. I'm English and tipping is not the norm in England. My friend was shocked when I didn't tip the taxi driver in London ... why would I? It's not the done thing. If I've had good service in a restaurant, I'll tip 10% (the norm). My friend and I once received bad service in a London restaurant, the manager wasn't very helpful, and we received a discount. She still wanted to leave a tip. I explained to her that she shouldn't leave a tip, as it would be like saying bad service is ok. She understood, but said that in the States they always tip. Throughout University, I worked in bars, and tips were not common. In the States, you tip a dollar for every time you go to the bar, even if you're collecting a free drink! It's just different.

Back to massages, I have often just paid the advertised price, as I didn't realise that tipping was expected. Other times I have tipped, but it was because I had received exceptional service. I admit that it was only 20 Baht, but at the time I thought it was about right. Now, I'm completely confused of what to do next time I have a massage. I did not mean to seem 'tight' when I did not tip, like I said, I didn't know it was the norm. If I receive good service, I'll give 50 Baht ... that seems to be what others have stated as an average tip. Does that sound about right?

Thanks Jdinasia. Nah, never a spa, just an average side street place.

you gotta try the whole spa package day once ... there are some nice ones out there that are NOT too expensive!

and trust me ... I have been living here 4 years .. tipping has never offended anyone I have met (other than cheap charlies!)

People like to think how they are not enjoying their lives whilst they think it is easy for others.

And Caddy is not easy job!!! They get heat strokes once in a while! They get soaked when it rains!

I tip the caddies 500 baht a game because when you think of maybe 5 to 6 hours work depending on whether you are following japanese players its donkey work.

How much do forum members earn in 5 to 6 hours.

?????

I tip the caddies 500 baht a game because when you think of maybe 5 to 6 hours work depending on whether you are following japanese players its donkey work.

?????

In my case, although I work bloomin' hard, in sun & rain, just the same as caddies & I get far dirtier than them (I thought we were talking about masseuses???), not a single brass satang - and no tips!! :o But, that's my choice...

?????

In my case, although I work bloomin' hard, in sun & rain, just the same as caddies & I get far dirtier than them (I thought we were talking about masseuses???), not a single brass satang - and no tips!! :o But, that's my choice...

Glad your happy November money isn't everything. But i do believe in being fair and i think that this is a fair price.

Cheers Rick

The last time I played golf with a caddy- we finished the round and I gave the caddy 70 baht tip. She looked at me and smiled and said she wanted more. I said well "give me back the 70 baht and now ###### off'. She answered her telephone whilst I was putting. She slagged farang off all the way round. She didn't even want to take the ball out the hole. She didn't deserve any tip at all.

Why is she like this? I suppose due to the farang that give 200 + baht tip every round and then wai the caddy. For 18 holes, it's only 350 Baht for everthing. Now when I play I carry my own clubs. Bloody farang, piss me off sometimes. :o

Honestly, will you do her job?

I wish I could afford to. Actually, I was a caddy once and thoroughly enjoyed it but back in Scotland.

It finally dawned on me that some posters that say tip "big", are the one's that have a gf /wife in the biz. and want her to come home with more baht! You know who you are.

:o Whoever these posters are, they must be in a pretty poor state if their g/f's tips are important to their finances! :D

It finally dawned on me that some posters that say tip "big", are the one's that have a gf /wife in the biz. and want her to come home with more baht! You know who you are.

:o Whoever these posters are, they must be in a pretty poor state if their g/f's tips are important to their finances! :D

Ya, they are, since the islands got few customers, as I've heard! :D