Visa Extension for Retirement

You can apply for a non-o visa for retirement that will allows a 90 day stay with a visa exempt entry or tourist visa that is the first step

Requirements are here: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

The during the last 30 days of the 90 days you can apply for a one year extension of stay. You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Is it best enter on a tourist visa and what steps are then necessary?

Ubonjoe has outlined pathway to your non O and subsequent annual extension.

A small (catch 22) is having a Thai bank account.

Not straight forward.

An agent is a good option.

I mean agent just for bank account..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Not straight forward.

Ubonjoe included advice that you can get a 90 day non-imm O in your home country. That visa allows the opening of a bank account so no need to get an agent to do so (visit bank, show passport with visa, account granted)

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Ubonjoe included advice that you can get a 90 day non-imm O in your home country. That visa allows the opening of a bank account so no need to get an agent to do so (visit bank, show passport with visa, account granted)

Ubonjoe stated....

"You can apply for a non-o visa for retirement that will allows a 90 day stay with a visa exempt entry or tourist visa that is the first step"

The OP stated....

"Is it best enter on a tourist visa and what steps are then necessary?"...

The answer to OP is yes enter visa exempt or TV a good option.

I pointed out that slight hitch is opening Bank account. 

Agent can do that. 

Yes non O retirement can be obtained at many Thai consulates or in some instances eVisa. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a non-o visa for retirement that will allows a 90 day stay with a visa exempt entry or tourist visa that is the first step

Requirements are here: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

The during the last 30 days of the 90 days you can apply for a one year extension of stay. You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

Is it possible to to get multi entry/reentry permit on the 90 day extension? I am looking to get non O retirement on this method but with work committments i need to leave frequently TIA

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If the OP decides to enter visa exempt (which he specifically asked about) then I have pointed out the issue with opening Bank account.

How have you actually assisted the OP. 

Rhetorical question. 

OP didn't even mention visa exempt, they asked what is the best way. I pointed out non-imm O from home country was a good option as allowed easy bank account. Any opinion different to yours invokes a reaction I guess

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sidgy said:

Is it possible to to get multi entry/reentry permit on the 90 day extension? I am looking to get non O retirement on this method but with work committments i need to leave frequently TIA

You mean your 90 day permission of stay from your non O.

Yes you can obtain a reentry permit to protect that POS..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

OP didn't even mention visa exempt, they asked what is the best way. I pointed out non-imm O from home country was a good option as allowed easy bank account. Any opinion different to yours invokes a reaction I guess

True he mentioned enter with Tourist Visa and obtain non O in Thailand.

This has been reoccurring question and Many are finding visa exempt or tourist visa entry the best option..

Insurance requirement another consideration.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, aussiexpat said:
11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Not straight forward.

9 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Thank you, that's exactly what I did. It took three attempts until I found one that said yes and I've been a loyal customer of Krungsri ever since.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

you apply for the initial 90 day Non-O visa for 2000baht, it goes under review for between 14 and 20 days

I remember this was the case for my Non O based on marriage, but isn't the Non O based on retirement approved same day or am i mistaken? TIA

1 minute ago, sidgy said:

I remember this was the case for my Non O based on marriage, but isn't the Non O based on retirement approved same day or am i mistaken?

You are confusing non-o visa applications with extensions of stay.

All non immigrant visa application have have to be approved at the district level of immigration and that is why the minimum of 15 days remaining on your stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You are confusing non-o visa applications with extensions of stay.

All non immigrant visa application have have to be approved at the district level of immigration and that is why the minimum of 15 days remaining on your stay.

So i will be entering on visa exempt for only 18 days, so in reality, i will need to apply in the first day or two to enable to get approval in time.  Is it allowed to do this?

15 minutes ago, DezLez said:

I do not know why DRJack tries to force people to use an agent to open a bank account, he seems to have shares in them.

It is straightforward process.

Here is an abridged version of the requirements to open a bank account with Bangkok Bank;

2. Foreigner without work permit

Passport

A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document

Embassy located  in Thailand 

An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 

Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand 
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank

• https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

Just get either a Thai friend with a BKK bank account to go with you or a letter from your home bank saying you are a customer and include your bank's SWIFT code in the letter.

Lots of banks, especially smaller branches outside of expat areas, are completely unaware of the official criteria. You can show/quote the official criteria from the websites only to be met with the standard "must have a work permit" response.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sidgy said:

So i will be entering on visa exempt for only 18 days, so in reality, i will need to apply in the first day or two to enable to get approval in time.  Is it allowed to do this?

I don't understand why you are only staying for 18 days and wanting to apply for non immigrant visa that allows a 90 days stay. After getting the visa you would need a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the 90 days when your enter again.

I don't think you would have time to do the application when only entering for 18 days. Sometimes it takes more than 15 days to have the visa issued.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't understand why you are only staying for 18 days and wanting to apply for non immigrant visa that allows a 90 days stay. After getting the visa you would need a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the 90 days when your enter again.

I don't think you would have time to do the application when only entering for 18 days. Sometimes it takes more than 15 days to have the visa issued.

i work offshore, working 21days on/off but after travelling this equates to 18 full days in LOS. I have a Thai wife and children and have been living in Thailand for 14 years. I had Non O, first on marriage then on retirement but it expired whilst i was out of country, unable to return during covid. Since return allowed, i have been coming in using visa exempt. I would prefer to do the right thing and have my permission to stay

14 minutes ago, sidgy said:

i work offshore, working 21days on/off but after travelling this equates to 18 full days in LOS. I have a Thai wife and children and have been living in Thailand for 14 years. I had Non O, first on marriage then on retirement but it expired whilst i was out of country, unable to return during covid. Since return allowed, i have been coming in using visa exempt. I would prefer to do the right thing and have my permission to stay

Even if you were able to get the non-o visa I don't think you would ever be here long enough to apply for a one year extension of stay. Your best option now would be to apply for a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage at Thai embassy or official consulate.

Now that you can easily enter Laos you could apply for the multiple entry non-o visa at the consulate in Savannakhet Laos.

The multiple entry visa allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the day it is issued.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DezLez said:

I do not know why DRJack tries to force people to use an agent to open a bank account, he seems to have shares in them.

I don't think Dr Jack is trying to force anybody to use an agent to open a bank, by saying "an agent is a good option, I mean agent just for bank account" is just suggesting a viable option when bank staff are not aware of the actual critera, or just just can't be bothered to open an account.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DezLez said:

This topic of opening a bank account on a Tourist Visa or visa exempt entry has been kicked to death.

The cut and paste from Bangkok Bank you posted has been posted many times previously and is not complete.

BB (in Bangkok) will require a residence certificate. In Bangkok that requires you to have made a 90 day report (not possible). Even if it was possible the RC takes between 1-2 weeks to obtain.

Your alternative is obtain equivalent from embassy. Problem is not all embassies provide them. Oz embassy being one. 

My suggestion of using an agent is specifically directed at situation where someone has entered visa exempt or TV and is looking to obtain a non-O asap. 

You stated ....

"Just get either a Thai friend with a BKK bank account to go with you or a letter from your home bank saying you are a customer and include your bank's SWIFT code in the letter"

Been there done that personally and with others.

Didn't work. 

Edited by DrJack54

16 minutes ago, Bounchan Vong said:

I have an extended stay visa (retirement) and want to go to Laos for 3 days.  I am 78 years old.  I understand farang's need the Thai Pass but will I be required to get covid insurance upon my return?

Yes you need 10k covid insurance cover for 30 days. 

Don't forget your reentry permit.

Single reentry 1000baht.

Edited by DrJack54

16 minutes ago, Bounchan Vong said:

I have an extended stay visa (retirement) and want to go to Laos for 3 days.  I am 78 years old.  I understand farang's need the Thai Pass but will I be required to get covid insurance upon my return?

You will need 30 days of covid 19 insurance. Around 650 baht cost for it is shown here. https://tqm-app.com/static/thailandpass/index.html

Be sure you get a re-entry permit if on a extension of stay issued by immigration.

2 hours ago, DezLez said:

It is straightforward process.

Here is an abridged version of the requirements to open a bank account with Bangkok Bank;

Passport

A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document

Embassy located  in Thailand 

An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 

Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand 
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank

• https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

Just get either a Thai friend with a BKK bank account to go with you or a letter from your home bank saying you are a customer and include your bank's SWIFT code in the letter.

"...or a letter from your home bank saying you are a customer and include your bank's SWIFT code in the letter."

It states "...sent via SWIFT...",

not "...include your bank's SWIFT code in the letter."

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, proton said:

I always go into open a bank account with the mrs, let her do it all. Was still turned down once at Bangkok Bank with the WP nonsense, got sorted by sister in law who works there. Some people just give up too easily, try another bank and be nice to the staff.

So basically you achieved opening Bank account at a bank that your sister in law works at! 

Best add that criteria to the "list of requirements"  for future advice.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 2