Hello,

I hope someone can advise?

The last time my wife and I were in Thailand was in 2019, my Thai wife opened a bank account at TMB, Central Plaza, Korat. This was aligned to her mobile / sim card.

It was a pain free process, and she was given a bank book and card; we thought it would be a good idea to invest a little spare money there for when we returned for our holidays and eventually move permanently. We were able to view all transactions via the mobile app.

However, since Covid we have not been abroad, but we have still been investing small sums into the account via Wise. Recently my wife changed her mobile and was no longer able to view her account via the TMB app.

We have tried re-setting / re-installing the app, phoning both TMBs central and international numbers but we are still unable to resolve the issue, although we and TMB customer services know it is because she has changed her phone. My wife’s other mobile is no longer, as this was sent back to Samsung as a part exchange deal.

Does anyone have any ideas how best to resolve this, or have a possible solution; should we just wait until we are there in person next year, and cease any money transfers until then?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

31 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

You know TMB has now also merged with another bank ?

Merged with Thanchart Bank to become ttb - TMBThanachart Bank

and they were a real pain to transfer my kids balances into new accounts and I cannot deposit money in their accounts without producing my Passport (Pink Thai ID no good)

10 hours ago, proton said:

Tanachart took over Siam City bank, every merger only results in confusion and worse service.

Problems not just in Thailand. NAB have just taken over the CITI credit card business in Australia and we cannot receive an OTP to access the account.

13 hours ago, CharlieH said:

If you have already tried Customer Services to no avail, then yes, I would say don't do anymore until you are on the ground here and resolve it IN THE BRANCH in person

Well, I would be inclined to put small amounts of money in there periodically to keep the account active.

• Like 1

All the banks in Thailand are now very security conscious, which is good, but can be pain in the neck.

I have an account with TMB, now TTB and my visa debit card was due to expire.

So I went in to my local branch, with my passbook, smartphone, visa debit card and passport as instructed.

The bank was fairly empty, but is still took well over one hour, because i had a new passport which the bank had no record of. They had to sens a copy of my new passport to head office and wait for approval. Then they need the smartphone to receive the OTP, this is done about 4 times, then I had to sign my signature in 2 different books.

So as others have said, your only way is going to be to go to your local bank when you get here. They will need to verify your wife's ID and phone number, I am guessing.

Usually in the app there is a process to transfer the account to a new phone before putting the sim on a new phone. In krungsri app it is like this.

Looks like you will have to come back to Thailand to resolve this.

Just be careful the account does not go dormant, usually after 1 year of no deposit or withdrawal transactions.

Edited by userabcd

13 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Merged with Thanchart Bank to become ttb - TMBThanachart Bank

and they were a real pain to transfer my kids balances into new accounts and I cannot deposit money in their accounts without producing my Passport (Pink Thai ID no good)

Passport is the appropiate ID for temporary foreigners residing in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Passport is the appropiate ID for temporary foreigners residing in Thailand.

You need ID to deposit money????

Are they going to start asking for a copy of your passport to allow you to use the ATM or to use your Debit Card?

6 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

You need ID to deposit money????

Yes in branch, it has been known for some time now. As usual in some branches they ask, others do not.

If you dont want to deposit showing ID in Branch then insert the bank card in a machine and make a deposit.

All of this is really not a big ordeal.

Edited by userabcd

Just now, userabcd said:

Yes in branch, it has been known for some time now.

If you dont want to deposit showing ID in Branch then insert the bank card in a machine and make a deposit.

The accounts did not come with cards due to the ages of my children.

I've never encountered prove who you are before you can give us money, even counter withdrawals of up to 100,000 have been achieved without passport production (at other banks admittedly)

Great advice folks and thank you.

I will advice my wife to make some small deposits to ensure the account doesn't go dormant which I amagine would be a whole new problem: but we will resolve the issue fully when we return next year sometime.

On 6/3/2022 at 1:50 PM, Bloggi said:

Great advice folks and thank you.

I will advice my wife to make some small deposits to ensure the account doesn't go dormant which I amagine would be a whole new problem: but we will resolve the issue fully when we return next year sometime.

Regarding TTB's requirements to avoid account dormancy please refer to item (4) Fees / Service Charge in the following link:-

https://media.ttbbank.com/1/document/SA_SS_ttb-all-free-en.pdf

• Like 1

Hi Ojas, thank you for sharing.

This has allevaited our concerns as there is more than 2000 bht in the account, and we are topping it up every quarter with a small deposit.

Kind regards