Highway police get award for work on road accidents - but reality of carnage on Thai roads continues

webfact

22 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think this story is best summed up by the photo that is included, where they can't even affix the car number the correct way up. I suppose it makes it easier to read when the vehicle is upside down in the fast lane somewhere.

The car pictured was involved in an accident and finished up on its roof. The driver died.

• Like 2

To impress me he should have stated unequivocally and without any misunderstanding, the following:

"On the 365 dangerous days, we will be vigoursly enforcing ALL the traffic laws in all parts of Thailand from today" 

"Secondly, we will also be vigorously enforcing the payments of fines and pursuing all unpaid fines from the last two years" 

"Thank you ladies and gentleman, that is all" 

• Like 1

In my entire 7 years of living in Thailand, I have never once seen an officer pull over an offender for any moving violation.
Not. One. Time.
Yes ... there are helmet and license checks at designated road blocks, but that's it. 

I've been through the process of getting a Thai license for motorbike and car, and that was an absolute joke too!

I see what looks to be 8 year olds riding motorbikes and being reckless, with no consequences ever. None of this would never ever fly in Western countries. I would love to see this amazing "plan" translated in English. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think this story is best summed up by the photo that is included, where they can't even affix the car number the correct way up. I suppose it makes it easier to read when the vehicle is upside down in the fast lane somewhere.

looks to be affixed in the correct orientation to me, what am I missing ?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, apetryxx said:

In all of my long life, I’ve never heard such nonsense. Delusional comes to mind.

You need to get out more, as these characteristics have been most commonplace throughout the world for ages. 

Perspectives and observations might vary.

It might be a good safety idea to turn the traffic lights back on into operation as on the railway bypass & Nongprue area. Because the give way to oncoming traffic from the right rule seems to be to confusing too for 99% of the drivers who believe see gap go for it seems to work.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, johnbarpic said:

It might be a good safety idea to turn the traffic lights back on into operation as on the railway bypass & Nongprue area. Because the give way to oncoming traffic from the right rule seems to be to confusing too for 99% of the drivers who believe see gap go for it seems to work.  

No thanks, I can do without the hellish gridlocked mess... it kinda flows ok without them, leave it as it is.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Highways chief Ekkarat Limsangkat said that law enforcement on the Thai roads was resulting in a reduction of accidents and ever improving safety

I thought Cannabis plants weren't legal until later this year... what's he smoking?

Joke of the day.

How about making potential drivers do 30 plus hours of actual driving with a fully qualified instructor using dual controls to learn road craft.

And then sit in a classroom to learn a highway code before taking a proper test and driving test.

They can issue as many tickets as they want, clearly a tick the box exercise, as there is no follow up regarding payment, a futile attempt at road safety if there ever was.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bstafford214 said:

This is so true and my wife gets annoyed at me because I am always pointing out to her, "Do you see what he/she is doing wrong?", she knows and agrees it is bad, she is just tired of me complaining about it. I tell her when they learn how to drive, I will stop complaining about them. So I guess I will never stop complaining then. 555555

You may age like me and realize the futility of it, reacting only in extreme cases.