Is there light at the end of the tunnel for Thailand?

webfact

I don't think 8 million has a high degree of probability, but I do think 5 million is possible.

In the last few weeks I've noticed a change in the demographics. What was once primarily single Western males (one gets only one guess as to why they would visit), has become more Western couples, families, and many Indians.

With China seemingly giving up the ghost on Covid, and Chinese likely full of pent up demand to get out of their own country, there could be a major inflow of tourists from the 'middle kingdom'. Also, used to being ordered around, the mask mandate won't bother the Chinese the way it does Westerners. Similarly, the mask mandate won't bother Japanese nor Koreans, lands where wearing masks has always been quite common.

So I think the mix of tourists will change, but the numbers might be pretty good. Fewer Westerners, perhaps, but lots more Asians. The question that remains is will the Chinese spend in ways that benefit the local economy?

It may only be a 15w bulb, but there does seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Come December we'll see who was right.

2 hours ago, Willy Wombat said:

So many tourists can’t wait to go from not wearing  masks in their home countries to having to wear a mask on holiday in hot and sweaty Thailand.

Surrounded by rabid dogs and predatory police.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

What do tourists from india do in Pattaya? Where do they go when they are not walking or standing around?

I see them standing in front of 7-11's and walking on beach road and walking st and kind of just hanging around in small groups, but never at bars or restaurants or established places off the street.

Do they only goto the restaurants in the little india area just behind walking st?

Edited by JimTripper

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

What do tourists from india do in Pattaya? Where do they go when they are not walking or standing around?

In an hour or so on Soi Honey the other day, I saw probably 100 total in groups walking in the afternoon many going into the shops.  A couple of the shops seem to have a set up with their hotels 4 or 5 puling up in taxis picking girls and entering the shop.  

They love Thai girls so much.

From Canada, I'm in pattaya and went also to phuket. You dont have to wear masks outside. Tourist is slowly coming back, prices are very low, which was already if you ever been in Thailand before. Waterpark (no waiting for slides), renting motorbike, hotels half price. Personal at airport didn't ask any questions except for hotel stay. Took 15 minutes. Really glad to be here at the moment and live a Thailand experience that will never happen again :)

Little bit off topic and I also think it should be scrapped but the Thai pass is ridiculously easy to get now. I just applied for my 5th one this year (yes I come and go a lot) it took me literally 3 minutes to apply and I got my approval in under 15 minutes.

They also seem to have pushed out the window a bit. As in you can arrive anytime up to 3 days after your stated date of entry. It wasn't like that when I applied last month.

I would say as someone who has been through the process a lot, even though I don't necessarily agree with it, I would say like most things in life, the people complaining the most about the Thai pass have zero experience in applying for or obtaining one.

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I see them standing in front of 7-11's and walking on beach road and walking st and kind of just hanging around in small groups, but never at bars or restaurants or established places off the street.

Do they only goto the restaurants in the little india area just behind walking st?

Agree, maybe they are waiting to get their "gold chain necklaces" stolen by ladyboys?

Unfortunately with the Muppets in charge it's rather like trying to stop a mega oil tanker from crashing into the pier when it's a mile offshore because because they don't give a fig, the inertia in Thai government is plain for all to see.

Vision and speed are not things they are renowned for, except when behind the wheel of a vehicle.

Judging by the investment in new bars and restaurants opening in Pattaya the business people are hoping for an upturn. My opinion, pre Covid there already was an over supply of bars in Pattaya, do the business people know some thing I don’t ?

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Not sure about this year, but 11 million Chinese visited in 2019.  Just wait until they are released I guarantee they will be flooding in here in numbers greater then ever.  

Will they ever be "released?" Could be Xi is locking them all up permanently, going full Mao.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starky said:

I would say like most things in life, the people complaining the most about the Thai pass have zero experience in applying for or obtaining one.

Which is the point, isn't it? Most tourists coming to Thailand will never have applied for a pass five or six times like you have. They'll probably just see Thailand flagged as needing additional requirements for entry and pass on to the next country that doesn't. Unlike you, they would need to look into just what  insurance, how much, which companies, how long and then search around for instructions for the pass and the uploads, and wondering if it will all work out okay. Why not just avoid all that? Go down on the list to Mexico and Malaysia and they can avoid it.

Edited by John Drake
  • Like 1