Thai Edible Insect Products More Popular among Americans

webfact

34 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s edible insect products and insect-based protein are gaining popularity in the United States, according to the Department of International Trade Promotion.

I know my now Thai Ex wife brought them back for all her Thai friends every return trip back to the states.....

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You tell 'em.

There are plenty of American insects to eat.

With the crop Americans swallow from their politicians they will have no problems 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

They don’t do much for me and we may laugh but we should probably be eating more insects. Loaded with protein, easy on environment and almost limitless supply. 

Eaten in an original condition as possible I'd say the are protein rich and healthy.

Deep fried in boiling oil until crispy then doused in Soi sauce, doubtful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've tried some a few times.  They don't taste bad but they don't taste good either.  Kind of an earthy taste.  Some of them like crickets and such leave hard little pieces in your mouth.  I could definitely eat them if I was starving.

Edited by rwill

I don't like eating these insects.  They taste like you are eating.. well... insects!!  But they are full of protein and I'm sure the insects can be finely chopped up (or whatever), and made into protein bars (with some added flavouring maybe).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, simon43 said:

I don't like eating these insects.  They taste like you are eating.. well... insects!!  But they are full of protein and I'm sure the insects can be finely chopped up (or whatever), and made into protein bars (with some added flavouring maybe).

Yeah, they certainly should not look like bugs at time of consumption. My burger of KFC does not look like a cow or chicken and that is how I prefer it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How are they collect them? Growing crops and  than wait for the bugs & grubs to come . 

Than Spray the crops and pick up the bugs .

No thanks , I wouldn't trust the people who collect them .One doesn't know where the insects come from.

They may well be full off poison or /and any Diseases

On 6/1/2022 at 8:33 AM, George Bowman said:

I would recommend the California or Oregon markets. Both of these states already seem to favor nuts and fried free-range, organic, gluten free, humanely killed grasshopper snacks would fit right in. 

I admit there was plenty of high protein meat on David Carradine built up with all that KungFu stuff but he is already dead and i am not sure he was humanely killed.

Edited by RobU
The site deleted the word <deleted> as in Kung <deleted>
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, digger70 said:

How are they collect them? Growing crops and  than wait for the bugs & grubs to come . 

Than Spray the crops and pick up the bugs .

No thanks , I wouldn't trust the people who collect them .One doesn't know where the insects come from.

They may well be full off poison or /and any Diseases

That's my concern.  I'd want them tested by a credible lab for insecticides and other chemicals.

I've tried crickets in Mexico and Thailand.  When fried up crispy and seasoned with chili powder they're not bad.  When lightly fried they're just a bland mush with a slightly crispy outer shell.  Not great but better than going hungry.

• Like 1