Japan most considered overseas holiday destination among Thais, with over half saying they would consider it for their next trip

ASEAN NOW

Residents who consider the destination are significantly more likely to say that travel advertising on social media, travel websites and free-to-view TV channels grabs their attention

Japan is reopening its borders to travellers from 98 countries and regions next month, after being closed to foreign tourists since 2020. Latest data from YouGov DestinationIndex shows that Japan is by far the top overseas travel destination on the minds of consumers in Thailand: over half say they would consider visiting Japan for their next vacation (49%). Meanwhile, almost three in five are considering a domestic holiday trip within Thailand (59%), and one in three are thinking of visiting South Korea (33%).

image001.png

More than half of consumers aged 25-54 are considering Japan for their next vacation, especially those aged 45-54 (56%). In comparison, just under half of the youngest consumers aged 16-24 (49%) and the oldest consumers aged 55 and older (48%) would consider travelling to Japan for their next holiday.

image002.png

Where then are travel advertisements most effective in targeting Thais considering Japan for their next trip?

Latest data from YouGov Global Travel Profiles also reveals that Thais who are considering visiting Japan are significantly more likely than the average Thai consumer to say that travel advertising on social media, travel websites and free-to-view TV channels grabs their attention.

image003.png

Methodology:

YouGov DestinationIndex collects data on hundreds of destinations around the world every day. All data are collected over a 52-week period and rounded to the nearest whole number. Learn more about YouGov DestinationIndex

YouGov Global Travel Profiles tracks consumer demand and attitudes worldwide towards travel across 25 markets, which is collected daily and updated bi-weekly. It offers a holistic view of the global travel market, including granular insights on brand consideration, preferred locations, booking methods, accommodation and transportation preferences. Learn more about YouGov Global Travel Profiles.

Understandably so.... 

After Singapore its one of the few developed nations which Thai’s can go to without the hassle of silly, time consuming and irritating visa submissions and awaiting for approvals... 

Numerous inexpensive flights per-day..  reasonably priced accommodation... excellent food... 

Its a great destination.

Pre-Covid we went there once or twice per year and always bumped into others Thai’s in and around Tokyo and at the ski resorts.

I was hoping Japan would open up by Feb this year, but that didn’t happen...  so next year it is then !

18 minutes ago, Maha Sarakham said:

My wife and I found Japan very sterile and uninteresting.  People in Tokyo riding the train looked burnt out and unhappy.  Not sure what the fuss is about.

Exactly my thoughts. Like a hospital. Most interesting thing were the Gheisha girls.

Bangkok far more fun.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Bangkok far more fun.

Yeah, I guess when you've seen Bangkok electric and alive til' 4 AM pre-pandemic and the luxuries of Singapore, Tokyo is really nothing special.  I found Japanese food to be very mediocre compared to Thai/Vietnamese/Chinese food.  I'm glad people like Japan, but it's just not for us, we wouldn't go back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

My wife and I found Japan very sterile and uninteresting.  People in Tokyo riding the train looked burnt out and unhappy.  Not sure what the fuss is about.

Japan has the 2nd highest suicide rate in the world (they average 70 per day,  mostly men).

South Korea has the dubious distinction as the #1 in the world. 

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

No Cambodia? Maybe cause they find it too similar or dont like them.

IMO, Viet Nam would be a better choice for Thais. Good and cheap food, affordable vacation, a long beach coastline, historical sites, traditional and developed towns and cities, visa free hassle, and a short flight would be some of the reasons to visit. 

• Like 1

It my be their intention to go to Japan, but once they have seen the costs involved and prices, I can't imagine many 'ordinary' Thais could afford it.

I stayed in the Akasaka Prince back in 1988 and paid £17 for a small beer and a whisky chaser.........I dread to think what they would cost now!!!!!

• Like 1

Yet the rules for Japan are fairly strict for entry

Effective June 1, 2022 (00:00 am, Japan time), the Japanese government has announced updated border measures for eligible* travelers who are currently allowed to enter. All foreign nationals who do not fall within the eligible categories are not allowed to enter Japan at this time.

*Eligible foreign national travelers who can newly enter Japan:

(1) short-term stay (three months or less) for business and employment purposes (currently in effect)
(2) short-term stay for tourism purposes only when travel agencies serve as the receiving organization (new category starting June 10, 2022)
(3) long-term stay (currently in effect)

16 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Japanese hotels small and expensive. A Thai bungalow is half price. 1000 baht for a deluxe bungalow on Chang vs 2000 baht for a tiny room in Osaka.

Yes, but the small room in Japan will have many more things in it than a Thai bungalow. I think Japan is great a little expensive for me. But every time I go there I really enjoy myself.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

The real Japan lays outside of Tokyo, Osaka, etc etc.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Yeah, I guess when you've seen Bangkok electric and alive til' 4 AM pre-pandemic and the luxuries of Singapore, Tokyo is really nothing special.  I found Japanese food to be very mediocre compared to Thai/Vietnamese/Chinese food.  I'm glad people like Japan, but it's just not for us, we wouldn't go back.

Many Thais I know prefer Korea to Japan.

The sterile Robotic Tokyo, Osaka or Kyoto tour bus service with a promise of snow has had it's day.

Venture outside of the cities to find the real Japan. 

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet the rules for Japan are fairly strict for entry

Effective June 1, 2022 (00:00 am, Japan time), the Japanese government has announced updated border measures for eligible* travelers who are currently allowed to enter. All foreign nationals who do not fall within the eligible categories are not allowed to enter Japan at this time.

*Eligible foreign national travelers who can newly enter Japan:

(1) short-term stay (three months or less) for business and employment purposes (currently in effect)
(2) short-term stay for tourism purposes only when travel agencies serve as the receiving organization (new category starting June 10, 2022)
(3) long-term stay (currently in effect)

At the moment...  

Its clear that they are referring to ‘once Japan opens up’ to allow conventional visitors and tourists etc (not just ‘organised tours’).

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

The ‘real Japan’....        comical stuff... 

Its like those who say ‘the real Thailand’ is outside of Bangkok.....

Its ALL Japan... all of it is real, one part of Japan is as real as the other part... the same goes for Thailand....  Just because one area is more modern and developed it does not make it any less real..

Would it be argued that the ‘real England’ is not London or the Real France is not Paris ???

When Tokyo consists of 1/10th of Japans population it could be argued that it is ‘more Japan’ than any other area !!...    But then that would be silly, as ALL of Japan is the real Japan and different area’s have different cultural facets. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

We went to the countryside to attend a wedding, hot springs, etc. in addition to Tokyo.  Don't get me wrong, the people of Japan are incredibly honest but the country itself just doesn't seem to be set up for tourists or general convenience, the infrastructure just isn't there and the level of English spoken outside of Tokyo is minimal and sometimes a headache to deal with.  Even for basic things like airport transportation, bus routes, general directions, taxis, etc. it was a headache trying to get around anywhere without our local friends.  I'm not knocking the place, just giving our honest perspective on it.  I'm glad people are excited about Japan but the food alone was uninteresting enough to deter my Thai wife from ever wanting to visit again.  She struggled to find anything remotely spicy or bold in flavor, it was all very bland compared to a lot of other Asian cuisines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

We went to the countryside to attend a wedding, hot springs, etc. in addition to Tokyo.  Don't get me wrong, the people of Japan are incredibly honest but the country itself just doesn't seem to be set up for tourists or general convenience, the infrastructure just isn't there and the level of English spoken outside of Tokyo is minimal and sometimes a headache to deal with.  Even for basic things like airport transportation, bus routes, general directions, taxis, etc. it was a headache trying to get around anywhere without our local friends.  I'm not knocking the place, just giving our honest perspective on it.  I'm glad people are excited about Japan but the food alone was uninteresting enough to deter my Thai wife from ever wanting to visit again.  She struggled to find anything remotely spicy or bold in flavor, it was all very bland compared to a lot of other Asian cuisines.

I like Japanese cuisine because it is actually possible to taste the flavors instead of being overwhelmed by excessive spicyness. In contrast I am not a huge fan of Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese etc. cuisines although they have their merits.

Never been to Japan itself and seems that they really want to keep all the foreigners away for as long as possible. Pre Covid I had wanted to visit it but their sluggish opening gives me a bad impression so I probably will stay away at least for five more years. Besides they will probably wear masks religiously for years.

Edited by rabang