10 kw solar system with batteries for reserve power .

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

A very "finger in the air" guesstimate:-

Assuming off-grid (no mains power) you would need batteries to even out the solar energy.

If you say a fan of 120W or so then you should be able to run that all day from one 330W panel with around 500Wh of battery to handle the peaks and troughs in the solar.

So something like:-

• 330W poly panel.
  • 50A MPPT solar charge controller.
  • 300W inverter (or a 12V fan).
  • 12V 100Ah deep-cycle lead acid or 12V 60Ah LiFePO4 battery pack.

Of course if you are going to want your PC, phone charger, power tools etc. etc. then that's more panels and more batteries.

If you want A/C, say a minimal 9,000 BTU (in a small room of course), that's going to use about 0.3kWh per hour of use, about 3-4 times what the fan would. So multiply the above by 3-4 ???? BUT you would want an inverter type A/C due to regular A/C units having a large start-up surge which would need an over-sized inverter.

To do it properly you need to do an energy budget calculation taking into account everything you want to run and how long without sun you want to run for.

Wow thanks for that......certainly food for thought.

I think will go down the avenue of the fan/battery first off and see how comfortable life is with that set up........looks like a big step up to consider aircon. Cheers.

Edited by Will B Good

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Wow thanks for that......certainly food for thought.

I think will go down the avenue of the fan/battery first off and see how comfortable life is with that set up........looks like a big step up to consider aircon. Cheers.

Do add up any other stuff too, you may want lights etc.

A proper energy budget calculation would avoid disappointment ???? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Do add up any other stuff too, you may want lights etc.

A proper energy budget calculation would avoid disappointment ???? 

Yes......the notion, for the moment at least, is just a bolt hole to escape the morons with sound systems in the village*....but it could eventually develop into a second home.....555

* Why do people tolerate it???

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

Re:  Solar Cell run fan.... you might like to take a look at the link below to Roove Solar who have such a beastie.

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/products/พัดลมโซล่าเซลล์-แบบตั้งพื้น-16นิ้ว-25w-5ใบพัด-ช่องเสียบ-usb-แบตเตอรี่ในตัว/5222693214407344/?ref=mini_shop_storefront&referral_code=mini_shop_page_header_cta

FYI... The shop is based on the Western outskirts of BKK and they have a presence on Shopee.   I've used them to purchase my solar panels - good service.

Hope this helps.

For a couple of grand investment you can't go far wrong.

It even has a phone charger built in.

49 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

Re:  Solar Cell run fan.... you might like to take a look at the link below to Roove Solar who have such a beastie.

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/products/พัดลมโซล่าเซลล์-แบบตั้งพื้น-16นิ้ว-25w-5ใบพัด-ช่องเสียบ-usb-แบตเตอรี่ในตัว/5222693214407344/?ref=mini_shop_storefront&referral_code=mini_shop_page_header_cta

FYI... The shop is based on the Western outskirts of BKK and they have a presence on Shopee.   I've used them to purchase my solar panels - good service.

Hope this helps.

That looks the biz....cheers

I am gradually understanding about the three methods for solar energy . 

My needs are the most expensive due to the cost of a hybrid invertor and a battery .

Also some batteries can only be charged once a

day while others can be charged twice 

Lithium batteries allow you 80 percent of the power before recharging . 

Only 50 percent for the lead batteries .

4 hours ago, Will B Good said:

That looks the biz....cheers

For a couple of k Baht you have to understand what you are getting.

There are actually some specs. on the FaceBook page.

It has:-

• 7.4V x 5,000mAh battery
  • 35cm x 35cm - 35W solar panel
  • 10hr run time (assume that's on "low")

A few observations:-

• 7.4V x 5Ah is about 37Wh. For a 10 hour run that means the motor is around 3.7W (our Hatari mains fan is closer to 100W). We are not looking at a hurricane but it could be enough.
  • A 35x35cm panel is going to be nearer 18W than 35W ???? 
  • An 18W panel will generate about 50Wh per day, so if it's very sunny it should charge the battery and run the fan ????  If it were really a 35W panel the battery is well under size.

Give it a go, just don't expect miracles ???? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

For a couple of k Baht you have to understand what you are getting.

There are actually some specs. on the FaceBook page.

It has:-

• 7.4V x 5,000mAh battery
  • 35cm x 35cm - 35W solar panel
  • 10hr run time (assume that's on "low")

A few observations:-

• 7.4V x 5Ah is about 37Wh. For a 10 hour run that means the motor is around 3.7W (our Hatari mains fan is closer to 100W). We are not looking at a hurricane but it could be enough.
  • A 35x35cm panel is going to be nearer 18W than 35W ???? 
  • An 18W panel will generate about 50Wh per day, so if it's very sunny it should charge the battery and run the fan ????  If it were really a 35W panel the battery is well under size.

Give it a go, just don't expect miracles ???? 

Thanks for that.....I may well lash out......if the worst comes to worst the dog can have it in his kennel....55

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Thanks for that.....I may well lash out......if the worst comes to worst the dog can have it in his kennel....55

You mean the barkers don't have aircon?? How cruel is that? :whistling:

Do let us know how well it works of course (in a new thread).

EDIT I just checked our 18" Hatari on "low" (nice breeze) with my Kill-A-Watt - 47W.

• Haha 1

On 6/7/2022 at 9:39 AM, BritManToo said:

Then I tell them not to watch TV as we don't have enough battery left.

Hmmm, so increased consumption of rumpy-pumpy too ???? 

Madam insists on the A/C for any horizontal-jogging thus negating the non-use of the TV ???? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

You mean the barkers don't have aircon?? How cruel is that? :whistling:

Do let us know how well it works of course (in a new thread).

EDIT I just checked our 18" Hatari on "low" (nice breeze) with my Kill-A-Watt - 47W.

Wife insists he can sleep in our bedroom so the little cherub shares our aircon.....555

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 21.28.34.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/5/2022 at 10:16 AM, Crossy said:

Even the old "weatherproof" meters do have limits :whistling:

image.thumb.jpeg.537f2dd15924b72521b552d2ea4e994d.jpeg

Hehehehe...yeah, high tide....but to be fair, that's not the "old" ones I meant. (black bakolite mothers) where they always loose the bottoom connections cover.....

Noob questions which I would appreciate if those of you that know may answer. 

I recently installed a 3Kwh system (Huawei Inverter, yes I know…) which I’m delighted with. Allows me to abuse the aircons  during the day when the sun is shining. However, at best, I get about 2.6 KWh, because my panels are installed on a south facing and a west facing roof; 3 and 4 panels respectively. 

I’m now thinking of adding a 10Kwh battery bank to store excess energy when available. My question as follows;

- if my battery is full, will it also power my house during the day if solar is insufficient? That is, does it take priority over energy from the grid?

I’m also considering EV / PHEV which my current 3Kwh solar panel system on its own will not be sufficient (meaning I would be drawing from the grid)

Appreciate your opinions. 

41 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Noob questions which I would appreciate if those of you that know may answer. 

I recently installed a 3Kwh system (Huawei Inverter, yes I know…) which I’m delighted with. Allows me to abuse the aircons  during the day when the sun is shining. However, at best, I get about 2.6 KWh, because my panels are installed on a south facing and a west facing roof; 3 and 4 panels respectively. 

I’m now thinking of adding a 10Kwh battery bank to store excess energy when available. My question as follows;

- if my battery is full, will it also power my house during the day if solar is insufficient? That is, does it take priority over energy from the grid?

I’m also considering EV / PHEV which my current 3Kwh solar panel system on its own will not be sufficient (meaning I would be drawing from the grid)

Appreciate your opinions. 

Adding battery will depend on the inverter.  Is it the SUN2000-3KTL-L1 model ? Which case it will accept  Huawei compatible battery.  Though not sure about any other.

"- Support to connect Huawei Battery without changing to Hybrid - Support 2 MPPT"

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Adding battery will depend on the inverter.  Is it the SUN2000-3KTL-L1 model ? Which case it will accept  Huawei compatible battery.  Though not sure about any other.

"- Support to connect Huawei Battery without changing to Hybrid - Support 2 MPPT"

Yes. I had  the vendor do my installation and the battery (Huawei Luna) will also be installed by them if I decide to do so. 

• Like 1