Could someone tell me what the actual law is on “cannabis”

I just saw this Facebook page for a place called “Candyland”.  https://www.facebook.com/Candyland-Pattaya-1614740182149856/

Ostensibly, some of the products contain THC unless they are lying. What exactly is the LAW????  I know that recreational use of pot

is still illegal. I can’t see where anything has really changed except to allow medicinal use of pot. Someone here MUST know what’s going on.

Thailand is not going to have “Happy Pizza” places all over the country like Cambodia. Why are they creating such confusion?

CBD cannabis is legal to grow/consume etc. THC cannabis is illegal..

The CBD cannabis contains trace amounts of THC, way below the amount that makes it considered actual THC cannabis. They are not lying, its just a billionth of a milligram. 

A piece of rope also contains THC at an atomic level.

Its just playing with labeling.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

It's quite confusing indeed. There is also a physical shop in a mall in Bangkok called "Cannabis shop" that sells high-potency THC oil. I went there years ago and there was supposed to be a doctor who can give a certificate, but the doctor was never there and they still sold it without issues. 

To my understanding, edibles containing cannabis are now legal but smoking is (and will remain) prohibited. 

My recommendation would be to obtain a doctor's certificate from a clinic, so you've got something to show if caught with cannabis products or testing positive in a random drug test. 

Under current Thai law, the recreational use of highly potent marijuana is still forbidden, and tourists convicted of possessing the drug can face up to 15 years in prison.

Thailand’s campaign started with a 2019 law that allowed the use of marijuana for medical purposes, a first for Southeast Asia. The rules now allow for the sale of cannabis with a low percentage of tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, weed’s main psychoactive compound.

The mass plant-distribution project is scheduled to take place starting next month and will allow residents to grow medical-grade (that is, low-THC) marijuana without government permission. Large-scale businesses will need a permit.

• Thanks 1

Wait for June 9 th. They also mentioned, you need to register in a special app.

At this moment it is absurd, as people are arrested (this week in Asean now) and later the four involved police officers were put out of action for arresting, also this week in Asean now.

Some months ago, Anutin said, they would be gentle on people growing marihuana, but somehow police didnt hear. Saw 2 cases in Asean now about police arresting people for a marihuana plant and they were both older. 

According to the current status of the law in effect from June 9 every natural plant part from Hemp or Cannabis, no matter how much CBD or THC it contains, will be removed from the drug list category 5 and becoming a commodity.

However, this is only for personal growing and consumption. 

If you want to sell it 100% official and legal you need a relevant permit.

For example, selling leaves as tea, you have to request a permission from Thai FDA to sell food products. 

It's been going up and down in Thai media that only extracts (Sakkat in Thai language) with more than 0.2 % THC will be illegal. 

The idea behind this is to protect medical users from poisonous mixtures with wrong done extracts with naphtha, wrong alcohol, etc...

Creating some kind of monopoly and regulated market for this pharmaceutical grade product. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CLW said:

It's been going up and down in Thai media that only extracts (Sakkat in Thai language) with more than 0.2 % THC will be illegal. 

The idea behind this is to protect medical users from poisonous mixtures with wrong done extracts with naphtha, wrong alcohol, etc...

Creating some kind of monopoly and regulated market for this pharmaceutical grade product. 

This is what I have been trying to emphasize also, the latest Thai media has come round to the wording that the THC limit is for extracts and only extracts.. 

How this pans out in the real world we will have to see, the draft law has not even been debated let alone drafted, 5 full days from the deadline. 

• Like 2

A post with a derogatory trolling reference to the Thai police has been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

22 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The situation is fluid- be cautious- assume it can still get  you into trouble but you can get various  THC preparations and a certificate to pass police  tests from medical  cannabis  clinics. 

I stay as far away from illegal substances as I can, but it would be nice to know what these new “Cannabis Bars” are purportedly doing in the mix. Any marijuana user would know what they’re getting. They seem to be trying to suggest that these cannibis drinks will have the same effect as “Happy Pizza” and other edibles.  I thought the law was strictly aimed at providing MEDICAL MARIJUANA . I have heard of it being used in terminal cancer cases and in other medical applications, but these new sales pitches seem bogus.

42 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

My understanding also going off the wording of the latest info is there is no guidelines regarding what plants you grow, THC or otherwise and the media are using the term "extracts" when discussing what is illegal. I have also seen it stated that they advice you register to grow on the app but it's not mandatory. As far as smoking it I have seen it quoted it will be illegal to smoke in "public". In any case, as usual, one hand doesn't seem to know what the other is doing so I wouldn't be painting a target on my back, particularly as a foreigner. I understand Thailand has agreements in place with the US to combat drugs and maybe a full legalization would put foreign aid at risk? Maybe one of those mystical things here that will be tolerated but officially doesn't happen. 

You're right about smoking. From recent news it's very similar to tobacco smoking. Authorities said they're concerned about second hand smoke. So as long as you do it at home or far away from other people, it should be fine.

I guess even if smoking weed becomes acceptable / legal, most people could end up with large fines for DUI if riding there motorbike. The police routinely test for cannabis at bike traffic stops. Since it can be detected days after use, so you may not no longer be under the influence, but any positive test as there is a zero limit, you would still be guilty of a DUI. 

On 6/2/2022 at 5:23 PM, Nickelbeer said:

I just saw this Facebook page for a place called “Candyland”.  https://www.facebook.com/Candyland-Pattaya-1614740182149856/

A friend of mine got some 6% THC oil and buds from this site telling me it's all legal, I tried to tell him NO It's NOT legal ! his reply "it must be it's on Facebook'' :post-4641-1156694572:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, andygrr said:

I guess even if smoking weed becomes acceptable / legal, most people could end up with large fines for DUI if riding there motorbike. The police routinely test for cannabis at bike traffic stops. Since it can be detected days after use, so you may not no longer be under the influence, but any positive test as there is a zero limit, you would still be guilty of a DUI. 

Driving tests are usually salvia testing (followed up by blood testing) which as generally 12 plus hours going out to max 36 on heavy users.. The problem with these tests they are binary yes / no and dont indicate level of intoxication. This is why follow up blood testing is needed. 

It will be interesting to see what they manage to handle in this. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Driving tests are usually salvia testing (followed up by blood testing) which as generally 12 plus hours going out to max 36 on heavy users.. The problem with these tests they are binary yes / no and dont indicate level of intoxication. This is why follow up blood testing is needed. 

It will be interesting to see what they manage to handle in this. 

I'm six years here, average driver for car and motorcycle. Very rare drug checks by police, unless you are on the road at night on certain locations. I was never DUI, always polite with them. They want to see your license and registration documents. Wearing a helmet is a big plus ????. So I doubt unless you're totally high behind the wheel, they won't test you for any kind of drugs. 

Besides that, I'm not sure about Thai law. But elsewhere the cops must have a reason to conduct a drug test, such as red or dilated eyes, strange behaviour etc. Tests without suspicion are against the law and don't count as evidence for a court. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CLW said:

You're right about smoking. From recent news it's very similar to tobacco smoking. Authorities said they're concerned about second hand smoke. So as long as you do it at home or far away from other people, it should be fine.

My reading of the various press releases and statements is that no form of smoking any kind of cannabis product will be legal, regardless of CBD or THC content. In fact, a new regulation is being considered to enable anyone to inform the police if they think they detect cannabis smoke, even on private property.  There was a story about this in the news forum a few days ago. 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 5:23 PM, Nickelbeer said:

Thailand is not going to have “Happy Pizza” places all over the country like Cambodia. Why are they creating such confusion?

Because they are themselves tragically confused, possibly inept and incompetent as well.

Or, most likely, they believe that they can profit by it in some obscure way.

The bottom line, at least for me:

If it gets you high it's illegal.

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2022 at 2:07 PM, SS1 said:

It's quite confusing indeed. There is also a physical shop in a mall in Bangkok called "Cannabis shop" that sells high-potency THC oil. I went there years ago and there was supposed to be a doctor who can give a certificate, but the doctor was never there and they still sold it without issues. 

To my understanding, edibles containing cannabis are now legal but smoking is (and will remain) prohibited. 

My recommendation would be to obtain a doctor's certificate from a clinic, so you've got something to show if caught with cannabis products or testing positive in a random drug test. 

The clinic is still there. The product they sell is demonstrably quite potent as well. The high visibility of the shop and signage, as well as the reputation of the owner point to some agreement with the authorities.

Purchasing it is safe, but as you say, possessing it requires some careful consideration.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 2:53 PM, Puwa said:

My reading of the various press releases and statements is that no form of smoking any kind of cannabis product will be legal, regardless of CBD or THC content. In fact, a new regulation is being considered to enable anyone to inform the police if they think they detect cannabis smoke, even on private property.  There was a story about this in the news forum a few days ago. 

Lol, I'm terrified already. 

• Haha 1

From the other thread stating nearly all cannabis crimes will be pardoned/freed this month, it appears there will no longer be much in the way of enforcement for cannabis smokers, no matter what the stated official rules.

Obviously best not to be caught holding a 1Kg brick of the stuff.

Edited by BritManToo

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

From the other thread stating nearly all cannabis crimes will be pardoned/freed this month, it appears there will no longer be much in the way of enforcement for cannabis smokers, no matter what the stated official rules.

Obviously best not to be caught holding a 1Kg brick of the stuff.

Yes you are right.

I think the only way we will find out is when a few people get charged with

having illegal weed and then we will have to wait what the courts decide.

I totally agree with letting the people out of jail who are there for just simple possession.

There should be a lot more room to sleep for any one that stays inside imo.

• Thanks 1