Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Why Do You Choose to Live in Thailand, Rather than Hawaii? You must have a good reason!

On 6/13/2022 at 3:28 PM, KarenBravo said:

Well, good for you.

I've lived in Thailand under army control and under democratic control. For the person in the street, there is no noticeable difference.

If everyone wanted to live in Hawaii more than where they live now....imagine the hell-hole Hawaii would become.

555 well I guess that is true about if everyone wanted to live in Hawaii but thankfully not everyone can ????

About Thailand under Army control or not well yes so did we not directly "feel" the diff & we still own a home there

But for us the difference is not whether we feel it or not because the Thai citizens sure do & we will not support the Junta which any falang living there does thru VAT & other government trough taxes which prolongs their stay at that trough

So yes I agree the Falang in the street feels no difference like yourself but trust me the Thai people sure do...but hey your ok & that is what matters

Edited by mania

I like telling people I own property in three countries - Vietnam, Thailand, and Hawaii - Hawaii is as close to the US of A I wanted to live, so bought a townhome here in 2006 for a tax deduction, but never lived in it until 2020 Pandemic - always leased it out.   It has always been more expensive to live here, comparable to Wash DC,  gas is now $5.50+++ a gallon, good thing everything is close by here ????  ????..................  I am soon to relocate to Asia again............never to return.

• 1 year later...

If ever a reminder why, last night reassured me, the decision to live in TH, is perfect for me.

Why do I live in Thailand ?  OK, not Hawaii, but Philly area, as couldn't find the other 'why do you' thread for TH.

Top few reasons, all financial:

... don't have to pay 1000's of $$$ of yearly RE tax to live in a house I already own.

... can have a custom built house, 5 kms / 3 miles from the surf for less than $56,000 USD / ฿2 million THB

... 8kWh solar system w/20kWh back up battery (off grid) costing only $12,500 instead of $35,000-$50,000 in Philly area.

... Can buy an excellent EV for $25,000, instead of $35,000, which gets charged with solar, so no petrol/energy cost at all.

... and last by not least, Healthcare is accessible & inexpensive

Last night, went to after hours clinic at local Gov't Hospital. Talk to doc, and we decided to get a CT Scan of whole abdomen. Which was done within the hour, and cost $481 USD - ฿17,300 THB vs cost for same in Philly area. Without paying any yearly premium for health insurance. Cheaper to self insure, unless you have major health issues.

IF ... I still lived in Philly area ... Medicare Plan B (2023 cost) is more than I can spend over here for excellent care and procedures, exams, and with not deductibles, after paying the silly premiums.

Meds here cost less than the deductibles for Doc visit to get script and the deductible for the overpriced meds you have to pay.

10-20 yrs of Plan B, I can't get that sick here, and I've been here 23+ years.

No RE Taxes, no silly healthcare cost, big ticket items cheaper, all leaves a lot of extra pocket money at the end of the month.

Spend on ME ME ME, instead of giving to Gov't & Insurance companies & Big Pharma.

Same CT SCAN cost back in (Philly area), Philadelphia, PA, USA 

TH vs USA MED COST.jpg

Nurse called this AM to inform me, no immediate action needed, no issues concerning CT Scan, with exception of my prostate, which I knew (enlarged), they didn't know, since never in their records.  Ultrasound of prostate was done elsewhere during yearly check ups.  Aside from being a bit large, no problems in the past, except those nightly P breaks while trying to sleep.

Appointment for the 6 March to discuss CT Scan results & prostate.  Must not be too important, or I'd be back in today or tomorrow. 

Actually surprised I'm that healthy.   Just nursing a pulled muscle in my back that is taking too long to behave itself.

GET THOSE YEARLY CHECK UPS ... CATCH SH!T EARLY ..

... OR, get warm & fussy feeling, knowing you're fairly healthy.

Edited by KhunLA

It only takes a few visits there to imagine island fever.....

It is pretty the first few times.....

Admittedly, I grew up just a short drive from the NORCAL coast so the beaches might not hold the same allure for me as it might for someone that's never experienced an ocean....

17 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

It only takes a few visits there to imagine island fever.....

It is pretty the first few times.....

Admittedly, I grew up just a short drive from the NORCAL coast so the beaches might not hold the same allure for me as it might for someone that's never experienced an ocean....

I couldn't imagine living too far from the ocean. I'm a minute on MB away from a beach here.