Why Do You Choose to Live in Thailand, Rather than Hawaii? You must have a good reason!

On 6/6/2022 at 3:44 AM, jastheace said:

image.thumb.jpeg.a0fb2ce0a805d1047029a49820e252b2.jpeg

<deleted>, i wasted tooooo much time in boyzzzzztown, Hawaiiii here i come...come and come..... wait for me guys !!!!

Wow, he's a hunk! I'd do him... if I were gay as sh**

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With the house prices there, I wonder what the average salary is in Hawaii? I will have a house built up country this year for about Baht 3 million, but in Hawaii the same sized house would cost about Baht 30 million or more. I read stuff like this and I feel poor as eff, despite having a decent salary, no debt and enough savings to retire on at the end of the year. No way I could do that in Europe or the US, let alone that state in the middle of the ocean.  

With a Mango & Papaya comparison, a tropical country vs one of the most expensive states in the USA to live, the obvious answer would be cost.

Why Thailand and not a comparatively priced tropical country would be more appropriate.

Threads of which, we already have done to death, for SEA; TH vs Nam vs Cambo vs PH vs SG vs Laos vs Myanmar.

For myself, comparison of TH vs places I've considered, West coast & Yucatan, MX, Caribbean Is & S. FL, USA, it's always been the hurricanes (typhoons) or earthquakes making the decision for me.   TH basically lacking both.

If it ever hits the fan, then TH is one of a few countries that can actually feed itself.  If considering a life long change, then good to consider a 'what if / worst happens' scenario.

Ease of everyday living, infrastructure and cost, visas, and TH still at top of my list.  Well, 20+ yrs ago. and TBH, not much has changed.

If not for a fluke, last minute, spur of the moment holiday to TH, which I knew nothing about at the time, I'd probably would have went with S. FL, USA, and simply been a bit nomadic around the USA during hurricane season.  Hindsight, no regrets ... thankfully.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

With a Mango & Papaya comparison, a tropical country vs one of the most expensive states in the USA to live, the obvious answer would be cost.

Why Thailand and not a comparatively priced tropical country would be more appropriate.

Threads of which, we already have done to death, for SEA; TH vs Nam vs Cambo vs PH vs SG vs Laos vs Myanmar.

For myself, comparison of TH vs places I've considered, West coast & Yucatan, MX, Caribbean Is & S. FL, USA, it's always been the hurricanes (typhoons) or earthquakes making the decision for me.   TH basically lacking both.

If it ever hits the fan, then TH is one of a few countries that can actually feed itself.  If considering a life long change, then good to consider a 'what if / worst happens' scenario.

Ease of everyday living, infrastructure and cost, visas, and TH still at top of my list.  Well, 20+ yrs ago. and TBH, not much has changed.

If not for a fluke, last minute, spur of the moment holiday to TH, which I knew nothing about at the time, I'd probably would have went with S. FL, USA, and simply been a bit nomadic around the USA during hurricane season.  Hindsight, no regrets ... thankfully.

Panama has tropical areas, has affordable areas outside of Panama City, and is out of the storm belt.

• Like 1

Guest truthman

I love Hawaii. But it's the most expensive state in the United States. That's why I live in Thailand rather than Hawaii. On the other hand, when I lived in Japan, Hawaii seemed cheap in comparison. It's all relative.

food, women, low crime, reduced stress are the first 4 things that come to mind when i think of why i chose to move from San Francisco to Thailand.  I've been to Hawaii 3 times. twice for work. once for a friend's wedding.   I think that finding a low crime and low stress environment can be achieved in Hawaii.  About food and women: Thailand is the clear winner for my preferences.

10 minutes ago, captainjackS said:

food, women, low crime, reduced stress are the first 4 things that come to mind when i think of why i chose to move from San Francisco to Thailand.  I've been to Hawaii 3 times. twice for work. once for a friend's wedding.   I think that finding a low crime and low stress environment can be achieved in Hawaii.  About food and women: Thailand is the clear winner for my preferences.

Food is good anywhere these days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Food is good anywhere these days.

I suppose you can find good food anywhere in the world if you have some time and money.  I remember trying to find convenient lunches outside the city of Honolulu on the way to work.  Found lots of <deleted>ty burgers with eggs and rice.   Also found some good poke (poki?) fish places.   On average not as good as random village food I find in Thailand.  This was also 20 years ago, so I don't know the current situation now.

I live in Thailand because it's sanook. I don't get hung up on all the "bad" stuff that happens here like "duel pricing". heck I'm even starting to accept the dour-faced "ferrlung" that infest the place ????

you can laugh and joke and have a good time here unless you're a total grump or a pauper. and unlike certain other countries in the region there's no (hardly any) green and white noise factories to wake you up at 3:45 in the morning. 

40 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Supermarkets sell good stuff. Pies and burgers way better in west.

I'm currently in love with the Aussie Wagyu cheeseburger at the Roadhouse BBQ, cnr Surawong & Rama IV. Bangkok of course, this is the place to be ????

I'd have one every day if it wouldn't put me into an early grave. after eating Wagyu beef I can't go back to the normal stuff.

11 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I'm currently in love with the Aussie Wagyu cheeseburger at the Roadhouse BBQ, cnr Surawong & Rama IV. Bangkok of course, this is the place to be ????

I'd have one every day if it wouldn't put me into an early grave. after eating Wagyu beef I can't go back to the normal stuff.

Beef and cheese wont shorten your life. Sugar kills people not fat.

21 hours ago, GarryP said:

With the house prices there, I wonder what the average salary is in Hawaii? I will have a house built up country this year for about Baht 3 million, but in Hawaii the same sized house would cost about Baht 30 million or more. I read stuff like this and I feel poor as eff, despite having a decent salary, no debt and enough savings to retire on at the end of the year. No way I could do that in Europe or the US, let alone that state in the middle of the ocean.  

Nah not even close

Folks see news & believe Hawaii is Maui or Honolulu...I assure it is not

You can live on an outer island like Hawaii the Big Island for as cheap as you live in Thailand

The big Island can fit all the other islands on it & still have room for more

Folks do not know this basic truth

Population of the Big island is like 200k people

Compare that to the tiny Oahu(Honolulu)  Over 1 million

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

In the 80s it was cheaper and easier to fly to Thailand 

Met a Thai girl  married have family 

Now retired Love the Thai food. People great ???? 

Cheap as to what you want to afford or spend  your life style on 

Could go on more positives then negatives ????

2 hours ago, mania said:

Nah not even close

Folks see news & believe Hawaii is Maui or Honolulu...I assure it is not

You can live on an outer island like Hawaii the Big Island for as cheap as you live in Thailand

The big Island can fit all the other islands on it & still have room for more

Folks do not know this basic truth

Population of the Big island is like 200k people

Compare that to the tiny Oahu(Honolulu)  Over 1 million

Come on man.  Firstly, I love Hawaii.  And yeah, even on Oahu, it's cheaper in west Oahu than east Oahu.  But who wants to live out in the ghetto?  Besides, locals in west Oahu aren't real fond of haoles.  As for the Big Island, yeah it's cheaper in Hilo than Kona.  But there's NOTHING to do in Hilo.  Pretty dead.  And these "cheap" places in Hawaii that you speak of are still far more expensive than Thailand. 

19 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Come on man.  Firstly, I love Hawaii.  And yeah, even on Oahu, it's cheaper in west Oahu than east Oahu.  But who wants to live out in the ghetto?  Besides, locals in west Oahu aren't real fond of haoles.  As for the Big Island, yeah it's cheaper in Hilo than Kona.  But there's NOTHING to do in Hilo.  Pretty dead.  And these "cheap" places in Hawaii that you speak of are still far more expensive than Thailand. 

So what? Beauty & lovely weather is not enough unless you have a 19 year old sex toy? Is that what you  mean by NOTHING to do? Because I have tons to do daily infresh clean air or swim in clean water etc etc

And no it is not more expensive than Thailand in fact as I said it is cheaper

A few things a cheaper in Thailand like electricity that is about it..

I own homes outright in both places I should know.Plus I have free medical here in Medicare...not that it matter much as a long time triathlete I rarely use it.

The rest that is cheaper in Thailand some plastic <deleted> is in fact cheaper as in quality only

As for Haoles sorry your a Falang still ????

Edited by mania

5 minutes ago, mania said:

So what? Beauty & lovely weather is not enough unless you have a 19 year old sex toy? Is that what you  mean but NOTHING to do? And no they are not more than Thailand in fact as I said they are cheaper

A few things a cheaper in Thailand like electricity that is about it...The rest that is cheaper is in fact cheaper as in quality only

As for Haoles sorry your a Falang still ????

Have you even been to Hawaii?  It's not just real estate that's expensive, everything is.  Just about all consumer goods have to be shipped in.  As for Hilo, I actually found myself thinking about retiring there....when I'm 90!  When I say there's nothing to do, it's not just about the availability of young hotties (where your mind appears to be at).  It's that....there's nothing to do!  But hey, whatever.  One can love a place (as I love Hawaii) and still be honest about the downsides.  You seem to want to paint a picture that's quite inaccurate.

8 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Have you even been to Hawaii?  

Dude read the Note! I live here all my life and "also" own a home in Thailand & lived there from 2007 till 2016. Still visit 3+ months a year except during covid thanks

Im not just talking Im telling you from actual experience

Nothing to do? Hahaha you poor thing...probably the only person to say nothing to do in Hawaii

Edited by mania

1 minute ago, mania said:

Dude read the Note! I live here all my life and own a home in Thailand & lived there from 2007 till 2016. Still visit 3+ months a year except during covid thanks

Im not just talking Im telling you from actual experience

Nothing to do? Hahaha you poor thing...probably the only person to say nothing to do in Hawaii

Fair enough.  I lived in Honolulu for a lot of years.  Visited all of the outer islands.  It's been awhile, but it was expensive back then.  Can't imagine what it's like now.  But be honest:  Would a single expat in his 60's with a $3,000/month pension enjoy Hawaii?  My point is that amount would do nicely in Thailand, not so much Hawaii.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Fair enough.  I lived in Honolulu for a lot of years.  Visited all of the outer islands.  It's been awhile, but it was expensive back then.  Can't imagine what it's like now.  But be honest:  Would a single expat in his 60's with a $3,000/month pension enjoy Hawaii?  My point is that amount would do nicely in Thailand, not so much Hawaii.

Like I said for myself & my wife cheaper here (but we own outright too)

As to a single expat with 3k a month...I imagine doable because rents here still hover in the 1k-1200 a month range. But I have long since owned my home & live for a whole lot less than 3k a month often less than 1k a month to be honest

Also as mentioned no health insurance to purchase

I can imagine some folks like you mentioned say nothing to do but for folks like my wife & I that is simply not the case

First off we can be outside 365 days a year as there is no sweltering heat nor pollution

I guess it just depends on what a person wants/does with their time

If they are the type that need to be entertained by something/someone then I guess it could seem lonely

But we are sports folks & even today rode 50 miles in the mountains & the possibilities are endless

I only mentioned sex toys as that is the Thailand stigma & it seems if not sex drinking is the most popular of hobbies but yes if one gets past that Thailand is also a great place most of the time. (Don't get me wrong I cycle with a lot of Thai clubs when there)

We left as we saw in 2016 the Junta was not leaving. We loved living there those years & did almost as much outside but of course many days too hot or bad air to really push it.

But here? Everyday we say how lucky we are. We do what we want eat better (home cooked) Even a beer or wine is better & cheaper

Can you buy craft beer there for 100 baht per pint? Good Wine for $13 a bottle? We couldn't & not that it was a deciding factor.

We have a greenhouse & grow more than we can eat giving away more than half

Someday we may move back to Thailand again when not supporting a junta but till then happy to visit as soon as this Thai Pass BS is over

Edited by mania

24 minutes ago, mania said:

Like I said for myself & my wife cheaper here (but we own outright too)

As to a single expat with 3k a month...I imagine doable because rents here still hover in the 1k-1200 a month range. But I have long since owned my home & live for a whole lot less than 3k a month often less than 1k a month to be honest

Also as mentioned no health insurance to purchase

I can imagine some folks like you mentioned say nothing to do but for folks like my wife & I that is simply not the case

First off we can be outside 365 days a year as there is no sweltering heat nor pollution

I guess it just depends on what a person wants/does with their time

If they are the type that need to be entertained by something/someone then I guess it could seem lonely

But we are sports folks & even today rode 50 miles in the mountains & the possibilities are endless

I only mentioned sex toys as that is the Thailand stigma & it seems if not sex drinking is the most popular of hobbies but yes if one gets past that Thailand is also a great place most of the time. (Don't get me wrong I cycle with a lot of Thai clubs when there)

We left as we saw in 2016 the Junta was not leaving. We loved living there those years & did almost as much outside but of course many days too hot or bad air to really push it.

But here? Everyday we say how lucky we are. We do what we want eat better (home cooked) Even a beer or wine is better & cheaper

Can you buy craft beer there for 100 baht per pint? Good Wine for $13 a bottle? We couldn't & not that it was a deciding factor.

We have a greenhouse & grow more than we can eat giving away more than half

Someday we may move back to Thailand again when not supporting a junta but till then happy to visit as soon as this Thai Pass BS is over

I hear you.  If you already own a home, things are a lot different than someone choosing to build a new life in Hawaii.  I love the beaches and the outdoors as much as the next guy.  Hawaii has the most pristine beaches I'd ever seen.  And the air is clean year-round.  Sometimes I wish I'd never left (I owned a condo).  And I may well go back....someday. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2022 at 2:50 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

keeps you here in one of the longest countries, north to south, on Earth?

Yes, for me it was a choice between, Thailand, Argentina and Chile... 

They just happen to have more Thai people here... and so for that reason... 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I hear you.  If you already own a home, things are a lot different than someone choosing to build a new life in Hawaii.  I love the beaches and the outdoors as much as the next guy.  Hawaii has the most pristine beaches I'd ever seen.  And the air is clean year-round.  Sometimes I wish I'd never left (I owned a condo).  And I may well go back....someday. 

I owned my home in USA, and my issue was with the RE Taxes,

shy of $4000 a year / $333 a month = ฿11,300.  That's about the 

same as our monthly food bill here, possibly more.

That wasn't even a high price house with a good school district.

Suburbia Philadelphia, PA.  Add a few months of heating oil & AC

and moving to Thailand puts quite a bit of extra jingle in your pocket.

Money that actually goes toward your real living expenses, and not just

for the privilege of living in the nanny PC world of the west.

Present mandatory bills;

฿6000 rent (2 bdrm townhouse)

฿3000 electric (AC abuser)

฿632   internet at house

฿350  phone & internet

฿110   city water (7k L month, rarely use more)

฿10,092 total monthly bills = less than the 'privilege tax' to live in USA ????

Now all we need to do is feed ourselves & stay healthy.

Next month we move into house, and get rid of rent and most of electric bill,

since will be going solar.    Really don't need a car, as MB would be sufficient.

TH vs USA ... nuff said

• Like 1