Why Do You Choose to Live in Thailand, Rather than Hawaii? You must have a good reason!

Just got back from updating our Tetanus shots, damn expensive.

฿600 / 300 each, expensive, since last time was ฿50, before that, free ????

If in USA, ฿600 / 300 wouldn't even cover your deductible for GP visit,

IF you had insurance & IF GP visits were even covered by said insurance.

No need to ask why we prefer TH over USA.  Get to live < 5 kms from surf.

image.png.5509cf388bb90451656d69c554383738.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

It's not just real estate that's expensive, everything is.  Just about all consumer goods have to be shipped in. 

I remember on my first visit to Hawaii, many many years ago, being disappointed that a pineapple, bought out in the fields, was the same price as buying one in NY... 

On 6/8/2022 at 12:50 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

On the plus-side, your country cares about you if you're abroad and in need of help. Mine gives a rat's a**, but cares only about the world's refugees, rather than their own citizens.

I'm going out on a limb here, are you referring to the UK, by any chance?? If so totally agree!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I remember on my first visit to Hawaii, many many years ago, being disappointed that a pineapple, bought out in the fields, was the same price as buying one in NY... 

Damn, you got 'faranged' in the USA, hit with tourist price ... ????

I used to buy crabmeat in Memphis area, nicely picked over, mostly lump from Thailand

$15 USD, that 22 yrs ago.  Last time I bought at Central Plaza (bkk) think it was ฿600 ????

Quality lump & claw meat, not frozen bits.  Some things just ain't right.

Actually ballpark price for quality fresh lump crabmeat everywhere here.

I like reading tourist reports about:

"OMG, we drank fresh coconut juice from coconuts, and only ฿50" ????

I've never paid more than ฿15 for a coconut.  Probably 20 now.  Though found 

for ฿10 recently at canal side market in Krung Thep.  Even the wife was surprised.

17 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Just got back from updating our Tetanus shots, damn expensive.

฿600 / 300 each, expensive, since last time was ฿50, before that, free ????

If in USA, ฿600 / 300 wouldn't even cover your deductible for GP visit,

IF you had insurance & IF GP visits were even covered by said insurance.

Here in the USA I pay absolutely zero (but I am 65) for such things all visits covered as well as surgery

which I just had on my knee to remove a longtime tumor my Orthopedic surgeon thought was a fatty tumor

turned out to be something else which thankfully turned out to be benign

17 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

You probably bought from the Dole Pineapple shack which would be the most touristy price you could pay.

If instead like Thailand you went to a farmers market it would of course be very low

Or heck even a Target dept store like this

https://www.target.com/p/pineapple-each/-/A-15013634#lnk=sametab

Would have TODAY gotten you a fresh whole pineapple for 76 baht/$2.19 USD

Edited by mania

8 minutes ago, mania said:

Here in the USA I pay absolutely zero (but I am 65) for such things all visits covered as well as surgery

which I just had on my knee to remove a longtime tumor my Orthopedic surgeon thought was a fatty tumor

turned out to be something else which thankfully turned out to be benign

Is that insurance (HMO ? ) supplied by your employer ?

On 6/8/2022 at 8:48 AM, Jingthing said:

Panama has tropical areas, has affordable areas outside of Panama City, and is out of the storm belt.

I have this image that Panama is pretty dangerous (crime), is that not the case?

If I was in the USA, Medicare Plan B cost about $170

Does not cover Tetanus shot, unless required due to an injury.

Add on Plan D, may cover it, that $10 more a month

So to cover a < $10 vaccine, I need $180 monthly premium ... ????

Not sure that covers the Doctor's visit cost at 100 %

Been on SS retirement for 18 months, would have paid $3240,

so about ฿110k for 18 months of coverage, and this is the first time, I think,

that I've need, voluntary at that, to see a doc since.

Medicare would cost ฿73,440 a year for decent coverage.

Probably the cheapest medical insurance in the USA, and 

very limited for your choice of places that accept it.  Not your top

docs or hospitals.  NO THANKS

Been here 22 yrs, do the math, I can't get that sick.  Of course if you or

family history has health issues, then good to carry insurance ... MAYBE.

Have only read the topic title not previous replies (will go back & read now) but for me (as a Brit) Hawaii was simply not an option as I cannot get a Visa to live there (I probably could by investing a shed load of money or marrying an American but I'm not going to do either of those things). 

As a Brit my choice was probably more like "Why Thailand & Not Spain/Portugal" & the simple answer is after spending 12 years working in Singapore, I got to love the SEA (South East Asia) lifestyle, so when I retired I moved to Thailand. 

Only regret I have is not establishing EU residency before BREXIT as that would have meant any future move (Portugal is my "Plan B") would have been much easier. 

2 hours ago, mania said:

You probably bought from the Dole Pineapple shack which would be the most touristy price you could pay.

If instead like Thailand you went to a farmers market it would of course be very low

Or heck even a Target dept store like this

https://www.target.com/p/pineapple-each/-/A-15013634#lnk=sametab

Would have TODAY gotten you a fresh whole pineapple for 76 baht/$2.19 USD

It was probably early 1980s and from a farmer in his field... a stand not a store.. 

9 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Have only read the topic title not previous replies (will go back & read now) but for me (as a Brit) Hawaii was simply not an option as I cannot get a Visa to live there (I probably could by investing a shed load of money or marrying an American but I'm not going to do either of those things). 

As a Brit my choice was probably more like "Why Thailand & Not Spain/Portugal" & the simple answer is after spending 12 years working in Singapore, I got to love the SEA (South East Asia) lifestyle, so when I retired I moved to Thailand. 

Only regret I have is not establishing EU residency before BREXIT as that would have meant any future move (Portugal is my "Plan B") would have been much easier. 

I had Portuguese residency, it's not at all easy to retain it if you're based elsewhere. I lost mine before Brexit, as I didn't reside there, and they also changed it from a certificate to an ID card, and that had an expiring grace period to switch to as well. 

Edited by chalawaan

20 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

I'm going out on a limb here, are you referring to the UK, by any chance?? If so totally agree!

At least UK still pay pensions overseas, good luck with that if one decamps from  Australia. Yes it's possible, but not always so, and there are expensive hoops to jump even if you squeeze it out of them. As the social security pots dry up with declining populations, it will only get harder everywhere for everyone.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

I had Portuguese residency, it's not at all easy to retain it if you're based elsewhere. I lost mine before Brexit, as I didn't reside there, and they also changed it from a certificate to an ID card, and that had an expiring grace period to switch to as well. 

I thought I read that you only needed to spend 2 weeks in-country to retain your residency so I figured a 2 week holiday in the Algarve wasn't too hard to do ???? 

Beautiful country, awesome golf, steaks & wine and I'm sure that's where I would have retired to if I hadn't ended up working in Asia. 

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Is that insurance (HMO ? ) supplied by your employer ?

No I am retired

Here in the USA you have all kinds of benefits based solely on your income

If just SS like me for example you get free part B&D Medicare

They do not count your residence which I own outright just your income

Kinda nice actually

When I first moved back from Thailand I tried to buy Health Insurance thinking I needed it

They told me sorry your income is too low its free...I said well ok ????

Also since I moved back my property tax dropped when I was 60 & will drop again when I'm 70

crazy cheap now considering where live...I pay less in fact than my yearly home insurance

What can I say except god bless America I guess hahah

At first I felt odd about it then I realized they give countries like Israel billions per year in cash so if They want to pay my part B & D go for it ????

Edited by mania

34 minutes ago, mania said:

No I am retired

Here in the USA you have all kinds of benefits based solely on your income

If just SS like me for example you get free part B&D Medicare

They do not count your residence which I own outright just your income

Kinda nice actually

When I first moved back from Thailand I tried to buy Health Insurance thinking I needed it

They told me sorry your income is too low its free...I said well ok ????

Also since I moved back my property tax dropped when I was 60 & will drop again when I'm 70

crazy cheap now considering where live...I pay less in fact than my yearly home insurance

What can I say except god bless America I guess hahah

At first I felt odd about it then I realized they give countries like Israel billions per year in cash so if They want to pay my part B & D go for it ????

What state do you live in ?

On 6/8/2022 at 12:32 PM, Jingthing said:

As an expat being American is unusually burdensome.

Must still file U.S. taxes (I think the only other country that does that is Eritrea). 

Must file treasury forms for certain bank account levels with ruinous fines for non compliance. 

Must deal with hostile to expats financial institutions because of xenophobic "security" based laws.

As has always been the case in past years, you remain well-informed about things that matter in 2022.

This is true.

But, I just wonder...

How much longer can you keep on keeping on.

Many more years, is my dearest wish.

Take care, and remember to exercise, at least once every other day.

10 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Because Hawaii is part of the USA.

What sane person would want to live there during these times?

Possibly

folks who love perfect weather & temperatures

Folks who love clean air & water

Folks who love beauty of nature unspoiled by sewage dumping into the ocean etc

Folks who love to swim in clear oceans & hike thru beautiful tropical rain forests that have no snakes or any other deadly creatures

As for the USA part

Yes but do not forget many of us were also in Hawaii for generations before the USA/Falangs overthrew the Hawaiian Monarchy to steal a strategic  port

called Pearl Harbor & then give Hawaiians the choice<sic> of either becoming a State with all the benefits or becoming a territory

But even now Hawaiians & Falangs coexist in Hawaii/USA peacefully knowing they do have a supportive government especially as shown in recent times

of crisis..The same government that also sent Thailand millions of real vaccines

Lastly many prefer living in Hawaii & not  living in a Junta ruled dictatorship for now with all the loss of benefits that came with that for both Thai's & Falangs alike

8 minutes ago, mania said:

Possibly

Folks who love to swim in clear oceans & hike thru beautiful tropical rain forests that have no snakes or any other deadly creatures

As for the USA part

Yes but do not forget many of us were also in Hawaii for generations before the USA/Falangs overthrew the Hawaiian Monarchy to steal a strategic  port

called Pearl Harbor & then give Hawaiians the choice<sic> of either becoming a State with all the benefits or becoming a territory

But even now Hawaiians & Falangs coexist in Hawaii/USA peacefully knowing they do have a supportive government especially as shown in recent times

of crisis..The same government that also sent Thailand millions of real vaccines

Lastly many prefer living in Hawaii & not  living in a Junta ruled dictatorship for now with all the loss of benefits that came with that for both Thai's & Falangs alike

Please keep in mind that there is no L in Farang. 

Just as there is no L in the word guava. 

Thank you. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Please keep in mind that there is no L in Farang. 

Thank you. 

Actually all R's & L's are reversed when spoken 555

Warren becomes Wallen

Farang becomes Falang

Truthfully it is kon Dtaang Chaat

คนต่างชาติ

Edited by mania

29 minutes ago, mania said:

Actually all R's & L's are reversed when spoken 555

Warren becomes Wallen

Farang becomes Falang

Truthfully it is kon Dtaang Chaat

คนต่างชาติ

Oh.... 

You are referring to Lobbut Kennedy? 

Malilyn Monloe & Lobbut Kennedy in Hawaii....?

image.jpeg.5891289f9ebd186200d4c496c9ada8d5.jpeg

The trilled R in Thai is NOT an L.

But Malilyn looks scrumptious in her tight fitting gown, nonetheless.

(Also, Lobbut seems, in this photo...to be....Nothing But a Hound dog....)

Edited by GammaGlobulin

2 hours ago, mania said:

Possibly

As for the USA part

Well, good for you.

I've lived in Thailand under army control and under democratic control. For the person in the street, there is no noticeable difference.

If everyone wanted to live in Hawaii more than where they live now....imagine the hell-hole Hawaii would become.

• Agree 1