78 years ago today

1 minute ago, kingstonkid said:

There hae  been many movies about it I just wish that there ws one made that was not biased to any one participant.

Maybe so. However, D-Day could not have happened without American participation.

9 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Can you please tell me if  you are over or under 40 years of age.

You say that you have nor freedom.

Answer me this then.  If Japan had not attacked Pearl Harbour and <deleted> off the Americans. Then in al likelihood Australia would be a colony of the Emperor of Japan.

What kid of freedoms do you think you would have had under the military rule of the Imperial Japanese army.

Please do not tell me that it would not have happened.

I highly doubt that. The Aussies were winning in PNG. Japanese resources were stretched. The US shorterned the war but the Japanese were struggling big time in PNG.

Germany started losing in Russian winter.

All battles over the years show expanding too wide makes it hard to deliver food and weapons.

40 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Maybe so. However, D-Day could not have happened without American participation.

Fully agree. Anyone that studies or reads about WW2 knows how happy Winston was when the Japs bombed Pearl Harbour.

The war would have ended in the defeat of Germany eventually I think but it would have been a long and deadly war.

Getting the military equipment and industrial power of the U.S. was crucial to victory.  Add in the shear numbers of soldiers and it got even more disastrous for the Germans.

54 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

I highly doubt that. The Aussies were winning in PNG. Japanese resources were stretched. The US shorterned the war but the Japanese were struggling big time in PNG.

Germany started losing in Russian winter.

All battles over the years show expanding too wide makes it hard to deliver food and weapons.

The Aussies were only winning because Japan attacked Pearl.

Here is part of a timeline fo r you to condier t his is real life

• 2 January: Japanese occupy Manila
  • 3 January: 488 (NZ) Sqn RAF in action at Singapore
  • 10 January: More New Zealand reinforcements to Fiji
  • 30 January: Japanese within 25 km of Singapore
  • 8 February: Japanese invade Burma
  • 10 February: US naval vanguard arrives in Wellington
  • 15 February: Fall of Singapore
  • 19 February: Japanese attack Indonesia; Darwin, Australia, raided for the first time
  • March: Japanese air raids over Australia
  • 8 March: Japanese submarine I-25 sends reconnaissance plane over Wellington
  • 13 March: Reconnaissance flight from I-25 over Auckland

2 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

The Aussies were only winning because Japan attacked Pearl.

Here is part of a timeline fo r you to condier t his is real life

• 2 January: Japanese occupy Manila
  • 3 January: 488 (NZ) Sqn RAF in action at Singapore
  • 10 January: More New Zealand reinforcements to Fiji
  • 30 January: Japanese within 25 km of Singapore
  • 8 February: Japanese invade Burma
  • 10 February: US naval vanguard arrives in Wellington
  • 15 February: Fall of Singapore
  • 19 February: Japanese attack Indonesia; Darwin, Australia, raided for the first time
  • March: Japanese air raids over Australia
  • 8 March: Japanese submarine I-25 sends reconnaissance plane over Wellington
  • 13 March: Reconnaissance flight from I-25 over Auckland

Kokoda was the turning point. 10,000 Japanese killed to 600 Aussies. They got belted.

After that their campaign went pear shaped.

Stretched too thin and their soldiers were inferior. 

I was there for the celebrations and ceremonies about 17/20 years ago.  It's interesting to see the French  waving British,  Canadian and American  flags. The locals  have loads of old military  kit  motorcycles, jeeps, ambulances etc. As well as going to  the military  graveyards we went to the village  featured in the film where the  paratrooper gets entangled in the church  spiral.

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Russians killed 75% of Germans in ww2.

Hitler's strategies were terrible. The guy was crazy.

To end the war would need to end Hitler. So, why had it taken so long to finish Hitler?  Where was Hitler residing with his main people? Wasn't it in Germany, Europe? (Not on the other side of the world...)

4 minutes ago, Saanim said:

To end the war would need to end Hitler. So, why had it taken so long to finish Hitler?  Where was Hitler residing with his main people? Wasn't it in Germany, Europe? (Not on the other side of the world...)

German army was strong.

7 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Free speech

Compulsory vaccines or lose job

Thats freedom for me... 

Freedom from having to work with idiots...  freedom from being forced to share space with unvaccinated in the muddle of a global pandemic......  

These freedoms helped protect me and my family.... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Ask Victorians, locked up for 9 months.

In a state of emergency under threat of a global pandemic which killed millions... 

People have been sacked over free speech.

No people have been sacked for recklessly spouting off...  its different, free speech comes with responsibility of being accurate and inoffensive. 

9 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

German army was strong.

So, why having them being more stronger by building their fortification in Europe for years peacefully while their real strong forces had been fighting somewhere else?  

On 6/6/2022 at 8:26 PM, kingstonkid said:

Karen have you ever served in the military.

If not then I am sorry for your lack of education.

When a soldier enlists in the military they make a promise  to put their lives on the line.   During WW! and WW2 these people knew that there wre ch ances that t hey would not make it.  Yes they went wher they were ordered but I can tell you from experience in the military that they all knew their chances and yes while many of them died a violent death it was still doing something that they wanted to do. For their country.

Please do not diminish the acts of heroism and what they did because you do not like the choice of words.  Every man that stormed those beaches or dropped into Europe did so so that they could fight Nazism and assist those being t reated poorly.

I stand by my post.

On 6/7/2022 at 1:51 AM, KhunLA said:

Wars simply end up replacing one tyrant with another.  Nothing really changes.

No. Look at Japan and Germany post war. Peace to the whole region. 
Don’t want to get too serious but I find the more right wing supporters on this site, not saying you, tend to have the attitude that all powers are bad, as an excuse for going with a clearly flawed malevolent authoritarian type, on the basis that they are all bad. They all do lie a bit and are political but there are big differences between a few lies and those that work against democracy. 
Some things are worth fighting for. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

9 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

No. Look at Japan and Germany post war. Peace to the whole region. 
Don’t want to get too serious but I find the more right wing supporters on this site, not saying you, tend to have the attitude that all powers are bad, as an excuse for going with a clearly flawed malevolent authoritarian type, on the basis that they are all bad. They all do lie a bit and are political but there are big differences between a few lies and those that work against democracy. 
Some things are worth fighting for. 

I consider all present govts a bit tyrannical, and overly nanny with their policies.  Covid proved that these past 2 yrs.  IMHO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Perhaps if you were old enough and saw you friend/family or relative on the deck of a landing craft or on the beach with internal organs hanging out, or as in my case lost members of my family, you may have a different opinion of the heroism and debt that many of us still believe we owe to those gallant folk and if it were not for those fallen, and very many others since, you and I and others would not have the opportunity to voice our opinions on here freely.

You seem to have a reading comprehension problem.

I agree with everything you say.

My problem is with the euphemisms. The words "sacrifice" and "gave their lives" imply dying was a choice. These people had their lives TAKEN against their will. Just RIPPED away.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

You seem to have a reading comprehension problem.

I agree with everything you say.

My problem is with the euphemisms. The words "sacrifice" and others imply dying was a choice. These people had their lives TAKEN against their will. Just RIPPED away.

Well in that case you have the problem understanding as "sacrifice" was very appropriate in many cases but perhaps you do not realise how many volunteered to join the forces so yes they had a choice and knew full well that not coming back was a real possibility, but it really was their choice.

Edited by Excel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Excel said:

Perhaps if you were old enough and saw you friend/family or relative on the deck of a landing craft or on the beach with internal organs hanging out, or as in my case lost members of my family, you may have a different opinion of the heroism and debt that many of us still believe we owe to those gallant folk and if it were not for those fallen, and very many others since, you and I and others would not have the opportunity to voice our opinions on here freely.

My dad served in Montgomery's eighth Army in Libya (Alamein) then was part of the force which landed in Italy and proceeded northwards, however I never did get to find out all of his exploits/service, which now saddens me tremendously (although I did get to see his war medals).

He didn't say anything about the war or his role in it and really spoke nothing about it whatsoever, and come to that he really didn't speak to me throughout my childhood and youth, and I wonder now if that was because of his experiences during WW2?

It's only now that I have gotten older that I regret not trying to communicate better with him, or to encourage him to do likewise with me.

Sadly, when he died, I wanted to have his war medals so that I would have something to remember him by, however they were "disappeared" when I went to search for them.

So I have no experience of real wartime, although I did have a loaded pistol put to my head in Libya, by an irate Libyan soldier and thought that was my last minute on earth, and now when I think back to the war that our folks had to fight for our freedom, I feel saddened indeed, but grateful that they made the sacrifice for us/our future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1