Psychiatric Association of Thailand suggests government to provide information and limit access to cannabis plantations

webfact

image.jpeg

By Nop Meechukhun

Bangkok – The Psychiatric Association of Thailand suggested the government limit access to cannabis plantations and usage among the vulnerable groups before the liberalization of cannabis.

The group said the government should provide information on the benefits and harms before planting and using cannabis, including implementing measures to limit access from the vulnerable groups as the plant can be more addictive for them than the general population and can affect their brain development.

The Association, therefore, has prepared recommendations on the permission to use, plant, and produce cannabis in Thailand for relevant parties to consider and improve their regulations in order to make the cannabis liberalization effective. 

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/06/07/psychiatric-association-of-thailand-suggests-government-to-provide-information-and-limit-access-to-cannabis-plantations/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-06-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Bangkok – The Psychiatric Association of Thailand suggested the government limit access to cannabis plantations and usage among the vulnerable groups before the liberalization of cannabis.

Reading recent news reports these groups should include the police & Government workers .........................LOL

2 hours ago, Denim said:

You mean Reefer Madness.

I'm surprised they dont trot out some propaganda videos showing smokers going mad after a spliff.

If you search on youtube you can find some of the old black and white propaganda movies made by the American government.

Laughable.

• Like 2

Is it not the case that the approved cannabis plants will have almost zero THC, the psychoactive ingredient found in cannabis plants?

This sounds like the equivalent of banning alcohol free beer because of the trace amounts of alcohol

According to what I've read about the situation nobody will be getting 'high' from anything legal at all.

It will no longer be a crime to grow and trade marijuana and hemp products, a move aimed at bolstering the country’s crucial agriculture and tourism sectors. However, prospects for the Thai cannabis trade will be limited by the country’s ban on recreational use and the production of anything with more than 0.2% tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive compound that gives users a “high” sensation.

Source, a Bloomberg article from yesterday : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-07/what-you-can-and-cannot-do-now-thailand-s-eased-cannabis-laws

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

Is it not the case that the approved cannabis plants will have almost zero THC, the psychoactive ingredient found in cannabis plants?

This sounds like the equivalent of banning alcohol free beer because of the trace amounts of alcohol

According to what I've read about the situation nobody will be getting 'high' from anything legal at all.

Source, a Bloomberg article from yesterday : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-07/what-you-can-and-cannot-do-now-thailand-s-eased-cannabis-laws

Many news articles seem to have gotten the wrong end of the stick. The THC limit is on extracts. Not a limit on what types of plant you can own. Bloomberg falling for the same trap as a couple of other outlets.  Siam Legal clarified this:

This implies that all parts of cannabis including root, stem, stalk, leaf, flower bud, inflorescence, and seeds will no longer be listed as narcotic substances. Only cannabis extract with THC over 0.2% will remain on the list. In addition, the process to request a license to grow the plant will be simplified which will benefit farmers or community enterprises who are interested in this business to generate more income. As for the next step, the Health Ministry will officially announce the new list of controlled narcotics and other related regulations. As a result, products made of cannabis oil or extracts, such as soap, cosmetics, and supplements with THC lower than 0.2% can be used at will.

Dispensaries are opening up in Bangkok tomorrow, plenty of info out there on them and a few have already gone public saying they are open for business tomorrow.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Denim said:

You mean Reefer Madness.

I'm surprised they dont trot out some propaganda videos showing smokers going mad after a spliff.

If you search on youtube you can find some of the old black and white propaganda movies made by the American government.

Laughable.

ßloody hell....that's convinced me......no way am I growing cannabis now

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Denim said:

You mean Reefer Madness.

Laughable.

Saying that . 

From my teenage days , my friends that smoked marijuana regularly , they seemed to suffer from mental problems more so than the kids who didn't smoke marijuana 

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Saying that . 

From my teenage days , my friends that smoked marijuana regularly , they seemed to suffer from mental problems more so than the kids who didn't smoke marijuana 

Yes its strange. One of my heavy dope smoking and acid dropping friends ( best man at his wedding ) went on to become an inspector in the police force. Others went on to do boring stuff like getting degrees , marrying and starting families. The drinkers on the other hand , either got their act together and became regular Joes or eventually became alcoholics. 

Doesn't seem to be any scientific consistency. IMO , it seems to depend on the individual , but who knows.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Denim said:

Yes its strange. One of my heavy dope smoking and acid dropping friends ( best man at his wedding ) went on to become an inspector in the police force. Others went on to do boring stuff like getting degrees , marrying and starting families. The drinkers on the other hand , either got their act together and became regular Joes or eventually became alcoholics. 

Doesn't seem to be any scientific consistency. IMO , it seems to depend on the individual , but who knows.

Was that back when marijuana wasn't very strong ?

I am talking about when potent strains of marijuana were used , skunk and other stronger stuff , rather than the weak Thai grass 

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Was that back when marijuana wasn't very strong ?

I am talking about when potent strains of marijuana were used , skunk and other stronger stuff , rather than the weak Thai grass 

Both.

I smoked skunk with buddies whenever we could ....no problem.

Some  peoples weak mental condition could be tipped over he edge by many things. IMO its not a narcotics issue but dependent on the individual. Just look at the mass shootings currently making the headlines. Drugs not involved but had they been , they would have got the blame.

Same with alcohol. Where do you draw the line ? People who drink beer are probably okay but watch out for the Lao Khao drinkers ???

You just cant generalize .  

1 hour ago, lmxcredt said:

Many news articles seem to have gotten the wrong end of the stick. The THC limit is on extracts. Not a limit on what types of plant you can own. Bloomberg falling for the same trap as a couple of other outlets.  Siam Legal clarified this:

Dispensaries are opening up in Bangkok tomorrow, plenty of info out there on them and a few have already gone public saying they are open for business tomorrow.

I'm still confused by all of this. my question is, will I be able to go down the Khao San Road and legally by a big spliff that I can smoke whilst listening to Bob Marley. or even some of those edible thingies?

this is a serious question (except for the Bob Marley part, I prefer dub ????)

On 6/8/2022 at 7:17 AM, Denim said:

You mean Reefer Madness.

Laughable.

Over the years I have had several close friends and a family member over do it and it has resulted in mental health problems, while having the occassional chuff doesnt really do much when you do it constantly it is a different story, severe memory loss, innability to remember what you were going to say mid sentence, severe paranoia, unable to function properly, its not imaginary, it is fact. When I was much younger I was into the drug culture, weed, lsd, hash/oil etc but weened myself out of it, I have seen exactly what over indulging with weed can do to people, anyone that tries to  deny this fact is full of sh*t and in total denial, its usually the ones that are  users themselves because they cant/refuse admit the truth about it.

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 4:31 AM, webfact said:

The group said the government should provide information on the benefits and harms before planting and using cannabis, including implementing measures to limit access from the vulnerable groups as the plant can be more addictive for them than the general population and can affect their brain development.

But Anutin has promised it to be a cash crop for the millions of impoverished Thais.

• Haha 1