Victims of acid attacks demand justice; fearful of revenge

geovalin

While there have been few reported cases of acid attacks this year, victims of the crime are crying out for justice. The physical and mental scars of the attacks present extreme challenges for survivors, and the victims also have deep concerns about what perpetrators will do after being released from prison.

A victim of a acid attack from Kampong Cham province Ly Rany, 49, has five daughters, and works in a garment factory in Phnom Penh. Her husband threw concentrated acid over her after she returned home from work in 2020. Rany’s room is littered with many types of scrap because her daughter is a scrap scavenger. She is impoverished and lives in a small rented room in Phnom Penh.

There is nobody to assist her in providing daily necessities. She sits on a chair with a sad look on face and a broken heart because her beauty has been taken from her. “I am so sad when I look at my face in the mirror. I feel so awful about that, and sometimes I have to turn away. Before the attack, I never thought I would feel this way about my life, and the attack has changed me forever. However, I must get on with my life,” said Rany.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501089987/victims-of-acid-attacks-demand-justice-fearful-of-revenge/

39409.jpg.6e846c576cc88b9c882372ecac49d68f.jpg