Pink Pineapple Is Illegal In Thailand – Smugglers Face Heavy Penalty

webfact

image.jpeg

by TNR Staff

THE AGRICULTURE and Cooperatives Ministry issued a warning today (June 8th) that the import and sale of pink pineapple cultivated by the food company Fresh Del Monte on trial basis in Costa Rica is illegal in Thailand because this is a genetically modified (GMO) crop and the country has a GMO free-policy in place, Amarin TV said.

The issue arose after the Digital Economy and Society Ministry’s Anti-Fake News Centre confirmed news of pink pineapple being illegally sold in the country is true and not fake after conducting a fact-finding investigation.

Deputy Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Mananya Thaiset said the ministry is not staying still and is in fact more vigilantly monitoring illegal activity but with limited manpower the public is urged to be its eyes and ears in watching out for illegal online trade of GMO crops.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2022/06/08/pink-pineapple-is-illegal-in-thailand-smugglers-face-heavy-penalty/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2022-06-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

I'm shocked at how homophobic this country is becoming.

What next, a blanket ban on Burger King's Pride Burgers? ????????????

P.S., smileys added for those who cannot take a joke.

What on earth has Homophobia got to do with pineapples, pink or otherwise?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:
17 minutes ago, connda said:

I am glad to see Thailand pushing back on GMO.

18 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

With the amount of insecticides some farmers here have been known to use, GMOs is the least of your worries.

''People sometimes imagine that GMOs use more insecticides, but the reverse is true with GMO crops that are bred with a natural form of insect-resistance, thus minimizing or eliminating the need to spray pesticides for crop protection. Overall, scientists say GMOs have reduced the use of chemical pesticides—both herbicides and insecticides—by 37%. (Qaim et al. 2014)''.

https://allianceforscience.cornell.edu/10-myths-about-gmos/

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

''People sometimes imagine that GMOs use more insecticides, but the reverse is true with GMO crops that are bred with a natural form of insect-resistance, thus minimizing or eliminating the need to spray pesticides for crop protection. Overall, scientists say GMOs have reduced the use of chemical pesticides—both herbicides and insecticides—by 37%. (Qaim et al. 2014)''.

https://allianceforscience.cornell.edu/10-myths-about-gmos/

Also mentioned in link (YT) I provided.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

Seriously? Thailand has a GMO free policy? Well done Thailand!! I can add another reason why I love living here!

It may be a policy but like most things here  is it strictly followed ?

I seriously doubt there are fresh pineapple from the US or Costa Rica available in Thailand. 

The cases found here were more likely some idiot who used pink food colouring to trick people

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, starky said:

Because to people of a certain age from certain countries pink has always been considered the colour of horses hoofs.... strange but true. 

Haven't heard 'horses hoof' for years. ????

I assume it's Cockney?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Oh Lord, do you really not understand how humour works???

I even included smileys in my post (for those who cannot take a joke).

It was a light hearted post, I wasn't announcing the end of the world.

If my humour offends you (even after I have clearly indicated that was a joke),

Note to self: 'Do not feed the troll'.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

Seriously? Thailand has a GMO free policy? Well done Thailand!! I can add another reason why I love living here!

Maybe they're anti GM cos America wants to grow GM jasmine rice which would adversely affect Thailand's rice exports.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Haven't heard 'horses hoof' for years. ????

I assume it's Cockney?

Its from a few places mate but i would imagine probably cockney in origin

8 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

The problem is that you seem to go off without properly reading or understanding threads.

I pointed this out to you yesterday and you had to 'half' apologize to the poster that you had wrongfully ripped into and made accusations against.

I have also explained my post in this thread, a point that everyone else seems to understand, so if anyone is a troll here then it is you.

Now, jog on and don't cross my path again.

Gotta love a jog on son. ????????????????

• Haha 1