What is and isn’t allowed as Thailand legalizes pot

webfact

On 6/9/2022 at 9:07 AM, SunnyinBangrak said:

Starting to get very annoying that no official spells out in capital letters exactly what is an extract. Makes a complete mockery of what should be a monumental day for Thailand.

Maybe they’re hoping that people have a basic reading comprehension level.  

The law itself is very clear.  

All parts of the cannabis plant are no longer considered a Category 5 narcotic.  

The only thing that was left as a Category 5 narcotic is cannabis extracts with a THC content of greater than 0.2%.  

Everyone is looking for a gotcha and there is none.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2022 at 11:52 AM, CraigInBangkok said:

Well two of the leading Thai pot activists are selling high THC flower from their shops from today. Pretty sure they are clear on the law

Again I refer to the Thai PM's comment from June 8th where he says flowers are still considered a narcotic. 

So the PM is not clear on the law? 

On 6/9/2022 at 11:01 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

It's a week old.

What are you confused about? The law is perfectly clear. 

Less than 0.2% THC content; stems, leaves, etc. used for medicinal and other purposes = legal.

More than 0.2% THC content including buds, flowers and products thereof used to get high are classified as narcotics = illegal.

I've no real interest in this from the point of view of use so I've not looked closely at the rilke but are the rules regarding THC content for businesses only or individuals as well? Businesses can test for THC content levels but is that possible for individuals?

On 6/9/2022 at 1:09 PM, Lacessit said:

Clear as mud to me, how the hell does anyone growing pot for personal use tell whether they are growing <0.2% or >0.2%? Will everyone have to buy a gas chromatograph as well?

I was wondering that

11 hours ago, chalawaan said:

I see the law in this specific case, as a conservative face-saving tactic. 

Actually, it’s because Thailand, the US, and most other countries are parties to UN anti-drug treaties.  

Even in the US, they won’t legalize at the federal level because they would have to ignore those treaties and the second they do that, any country that is an exporter of drugs calls them out for being a hypocrite and just starts shipping heroin, meth, cocaine, etc and tells the US to pound sand if they complain.

BTW, if you’re asking how the US gets away with it, the individual states didn’t sign those agreements.  The federal government did.  

So, if California quits enforcing cannabis laws, and the federal government keeps it illegal but looks the other way, they’re still, technically, in compliance.   

Back when Thailand first said they were legalizing cannabis in 2018, they explicitly said they will not violate those agreements.  

They don’t want meth from Myanmar flooding the local market because they’re seen as violating these agreements.  

So they say they’re legalizing “medicinal use” but they let everyone self-diagnose.  

That technically complies with those agreements while effectively legalizing recreational use.  

It should also be noted that when Thailand first announced legalizing cannabis, they also declared that they refuse to recognize patents on strains of cannabis for 5 years.  

That’s because Thailand feels slighted that they did what the US pressured them to do under Nixon and now the US is making huge advancements in growing and medical research while Thailand is treating cannabis as a Category 5 narcotic.  

Thailand feels like it should be the leader because cannabis has been a part of Thai culture for several hundred years until Nixon’s war on drugs forced Thailand to crack down on drugs.  

Yes, there are ultra-conservative elements in Thailand that would like to see everything from tobacco to cannabis made illegal but they’re an insignificant minority.  

if you look at everything Thailand has said and done, it’s 100% clear that they are trying to adhere to their international agreements while also making it clear that they won’t be cheated out of becoming a major player in this huge market.   

• Like 2

On 6/9/2022 at 9:31 AM, connda said:

So I can finally use the plant for insomnia.  It's too much of a pain in the butt to attempt to buy the oil, plus the oil is extremely expensive compared to other cannabis oil sold globally.
So back to the good old fashion way of using the herb.
Anyway, I'm glad it will be decriminalized and can now actually be used for medical purposes.

Wish you much luck on your afflictions.  

Edited by digibum

On 6/9/2022 at 2:41 PM, jvs said:

You need to start with a plant that has naturally high CBD and low THC.

Deleted 

Edited by digibum
Compassion

10 hours ago, digibum said:

That’s because Thailand feels slighted that they did what the US pressured them to do under Nixon and now the US is making huge advancements in growing and medical research while Thailand is treating cannabis as a Category 5 narcotic.  

Marijuana was made illegal in the 1930's as part of Pibuls New Thailand programs. Nixons pressure was on exporting it,  but mainly concerned opiates coming out of the golden triangle. Why Thailand would feel slighted is a mystery, as is the 'huge advancements' the US made. They did a good business tolerating somewhat while at the same time using it to shakedown/extort money from clueless tourists for forty years now. A win win scenario for them.