X-Box Series S (or X?)

SooKee

Used to have a PS3 and Xbox 360 years ago but did not bring them to Thailand.  Doubt I'll play as much as I used to but at times I do miss games like Halo and the Tom Clancy GHOST series.  I always actually liked the PS more than the Xbox (found I liked the controller more, at least at first) but always seemed to play Halo more.  For that reason I'm pondering an Xbox Series S.  

As ever it seems that there are Thailand issues.  X-Box not officially supported, PS is but I don't really want to talk myself into a PS4/5 just because of that.  That said I'll read up on game titles etc and see if any would tempt me to forgo Halo, can't see it though as I was not so enamoured with the platform specific games on the PS.  

Of the two X-box types I could go for the X but it's a bit big!!  The 4K is nice I suppose but again, I don't want to talk myself into something I don't need, especially to play maybe 1-2 times per month.  The blue-ray drive doesn't interest me at all nor the need for physical game media.  I dumped over 300 DVDs when I came here, not about to start filling shelves with DVDs again!  Not into PC / laptop gaming at all either so that's not an option.  The footprint of the  S appeals, the price is half that of an X too!  The only thing that concerns me is the digital only nature of the games.  While I actually prefer that idea it's just getting them that bothers me.  From what I've read though you only have to register an account at something like the Brazil store using a duff Brazil address and then just top up for purchases using a Thai card, no VPN required from what I've read, so it's not like it's a major headache, or so it seems.  I've also read briefly where some folks do it themselves and others set up an account, pay an online store 1-2K baht and the store then works its magic to credit your account.  I'm not sure though if that's for game purchases or if it's for the online Game Network / X-Box Live access?

The only other question is around regions for the machine.  I might go an look at MBK in a while but I've seen a couple of online sellers at Lazada / Shopee (Classic Game Officials and Monster Game) that sell the machines and there will often a be a selection of regions (Aus, Japan, Eur, Asia).  With games not being region locked any more now is there any reason to be concerned about the region?  That said, most other than Asia or Europe seem to be out of stock though I've seen Japan versions listed at Central online.  Obviously I'm trying to avoid a 'Doh!!' moment by buying the wrong one.

Any clanger avoiding comments appreciated ????

Well as you can't buy an Xbox X or PS5 it's an easy choice. I have the Xbox Series S and it's great, more than enough unless you are a hard core gamer. You can pay the $10 a month for game pass and play any game you want, or buy and download your favourite games.

32 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Well as you can't buy an Xbox X or PS5 it's an easy choice. I have the Xbox Series S and it's great, more than enough unless you are a hard core gamer. You can pay the $10 a month for game pass and play any game you want, or buy and download your favourite games.

There are sellers with the Xbox X available.  Central World for one as a proper store and the two online places above.  Only issue is they are at scalper prices of around 28,000!  Even if I did decide on the X I wouldn't pay those prices, hopefully at some stage availability will improve.  Main thing is though I think the S may well do all I need, is available and the price mark up is not too bad either.

21 hours ago, SooKee said:

There are sellers with the Xbox X available.  Central World for one as a proper store and the two online places above.  Only issue is they are at scalper prices of around 28,000!  Even if I did decide on the X I wouldn't pay those prices, hopefully at some stage availability will improve.  Main thing is though I think the S may well do all I need, is available and the price mark up is not too bad either.

That's what i meant about the X not being available. No way would i pay above RRP and feed the scalpers. I only paid 12,700 for the S. I see it's on Lazada now for 11,990.

Edited by Henryford

41 minutes ago, Henryford said:

That's what i meant about the X not being available. No way would i pay above RRP and feed the scalpers. I only paid 12,700 for the S. I see it's on Lazada now for 11,990.

Yeah, crazy crazy prices.  S will suit me fine I think.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 10:09 AM, Henryford said:

Just a note, if you don't have xbox live gold yet you can buy up to 3 years of it ($5/mo) and then upgrade to game pass ultimate (normally $15/mo) for $1 and it will be applied to the whole 3 years just for that $1. There are plenty of guides about it online but it'll save you money if you intend to use game pass.

As for which console to pick, Series S is a better deal even at msrp unless you're frame chasing and trying to play highest settings. If you're casual gamer and okay with 1080p or 4K FSR you should be golden with an S.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedBackman said:

Just a note, if you don't have xbox live gold yet you can buy up to 3 years of it ($5/mo) and then upgrade to game pass ultimate (normally $15/mo) for $1 and it will be applied to the whole 3 years just for that $1. There are plenty of guides about it online but it'll save you money if you intend to use game pass.

As for which console to pick, Series S is a better deal even at msrp unless you're frame chasing and trying to play highest settings. If you're casual gamer and okay with 1080p or 4K FSR you should be golden with an S.

Thanks.  I picked up an S in the end, 12,000 from a shop on Lazada.  Very impressed with it and does all I need.  Bought a few games that aren't on Live (AFAIK) and have a Live 14 day voucher that I've yet to activate.  Haven't yet got into the shenanigans of getting Brazilian vouchers to buy from the Brazil store etc or the options to activate3 years of Live with an Ultimate upgrade, I'll do some digging over the weekend.

I got one of the X series.

We've had it a few months and the kids prefer their phones.

I think its been used four or five times.

If you're a big gamer Series X.

Flight Simulator is really cool! 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 9:32 AM, MrJ2U said:

I got one of the X series.

We've had it a few months and the kids prefer their phones.

I think its been used four or five times.

If you're a big gamer Series X.

Flight Simulator is really cool! 

I don't plan to use it often, I didn't use the PS3 or 360 much when I had them either, just an occasional dabble.  I see Flight Simulator recommended a lot but not sure I get the appeal.  Just depends what folks are into I guess.

On 6/26/2022 at 10:43 AM, SooKee said:

I don't plan to use it often, I didn't use the PS3 or 360 much when I had them either, just an occasional dabble.  I see Flight Simulator recommended a lot but not sure I get the appeal.  Just depends what folks are into I guess.

Get the Ultimate game pass.

Hundreds of games.  Great games in fact.  Games that'll appeal to the whole family.