Concerns voiced over health effects of cannabis on youth

webfact

image.jpeg

Thailand’s Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has expressed concern over the potential short and long term effects of cannabis on Thai youth, now that controlled use of the plant in various forms has been legalised.

670,065 people have registered with the Thai Food and Drug Administration (TFDA) to grow cannabis or hemp and 649,408 had been certified by 7am today (Sunday), according to the TFDA.  More than 33 million users have logged into the TFDA’s registration system.

To address the concerns, TFDA Secretary-General Dr. Paisarn Dunkum said today (Sunday) that they have imposed strict measures on the production of food, drinks or other products which contain cannabis or its extracts, to ensure the safety of consumers.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/concerns-voiced-over-health-effects-of-cannabis-on-youth/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-06-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has expressed concern over the potential short and long term effects of cannabis on Thai youth, now that controlled use of the plant in various forms has been legalised.

Cart before the horse again... but wait...

Anutin is the health minister [I think I got that right] surely he consulted the medical institutions about possible effects of cannabis use before his personal mission to railroad this through??

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

But, but, shouldn't you have mentioned this BEFORE legalising it ? 

Well not really because self interest, cronies new business streams increasing their income takes precedent over any heath concerns in this country as we all witnessed with the COVID debacle.

• Like 2

IMO if one smokes more than a very small amount every day for any length of time, they will change, and not for the better. I assume this is obvious, and the common knowledge of everyone--all the same, I have multiple friends in California who would argue this point with me, if I were an arguing man. For Thailand, there's going to be a learning curve, for the society as a whole, for while it's always been available, this new regime is a game changer for everyone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Enzian said:

IMO if one smokes more than a very small amount every day for any length of time, they will change, and not for the better. I assume this is obvious, and the common knowledge of everyone--all the same, I have multiple friends in California who would argue this point with me, if I were an arguing man. For Thailand, there's going to be a learning curve, for the society as a whole, for while it's always been available, this new regime is a game changer for everyone.

Like everything, best done in moderation. 

• Thanks 1

The data on early childhood usage (not necessarily chronic, habitual usage either) and susceptibility to onset of serious mental illness is clear and pretty shocking - in Western countries.

The links between tetrahydrocannibinol (THC) ingestion and serious mental disorders e.g schizophrenia, serious depressive disorders seems to be connected to the strength (THC levels) of the dope smoked i.e. cannabis or derivative's such as cannabis oil, hashish and hydroponically grown cannabis usually have high concentrations of the psychoactive component of dope i.e. (THC).

Home, outdoor grown weed seems to not be as linked to such disorders developing as frequently, this is hypothesised as being due to much lower concentrations of THC per gram is naturally less/non-engineered weed strains.

I've counselled folks who had trouble speaking because of the frontal lobe damage from smoking since early teens or even earlier. And I'm talking serious developmental impairment!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1