has filming become more acceptable?

about 15 years ago i was in a internet cafe in pattaya talking on a webcam to a relative back here in Australia.

I recall a farang seated behind me shouting to the owners that i was filming him, etc ,

I recall many my age (over 60) scared of being filmed .

so we fast forward to 2021 and the world has changed,young people everywhere taking selfies etc ,recording every detail of their lives,as theyre walking in the streets etc.

in fact many are walking around with those tripod things,even im being filmed by familes as a hospital orderly ,i dont mind,im not paranoid ,nothing to hide.

I have also been watching these "audit" filmers in england on youtube filming people,amazing how some people have no idea about filming.

im not one who films or even uses a camera,but my question is, are you a photographer or video filmer who does that and do you get problems with paranoid people thinking your filming them ?

nowadays i see many people walking in the streets talking on phone cam ,granted most are young people and not paranoid old farts ,the worlds changing i think for the better .

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 1

Common sense is says if your filming on a beach people will not have many problems with it. However if your filming in an area with bar girls and prostitution people wont like to be filmed.

I mean you should have been able to figure that one out yourself, even in Amsterdam they don't like it when they get filmed in the red light district but in other places of the city its not so much of a problem.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Common sense is says if your filming on a beach people will not have many problems with it. However if your filming in an area with bar girls and prostitution people wont like to be filmed.

I mean you should have been able to figure that one out yourself, even in Amsterdam they don't like it when they get filmed in the red light district but in other places of the city its not so much of a problem.

i wonder if that will change though as you get young people 18-19yo going to party places like Phuket etc who dont care and start filming and taking selfies to put on tiktok etc,these younger people what i seen dont seem to care what /who they film. The world is changing

i have been on city buses/trains on a friday night seeing groups of girls filming themselves on tiktok completely oblivious to others 

Edited by georgegeorgia

I know Americans freaks out when filming in publicity, and often when we shot documentaries it was Americans who complained, but we had our paperwork in order and allowed to film at the sites we where when travellling. 

I would never film close ups of other people who where not involved at beaches or film in Red light districts. 

Common sense takes you far. If someone came up to me and told me not to film them doing an video call in a public place, then I would most likely move on. 

Of course where I comecfrom, we do not do calls at restaurants, busses, or any confined spaces alike. 

• Like 1

Sometimes I see those idiots walking along a street or so. I think it is annoying but life and let life and all that.

If I would see anybody doing that deliberately in my favorite coffee place or so then I would ask them maybe once to stop it. And if they would continue then it could happen that accidentally a hot coffee is spilled over them. Things happen. ???? 

• Like 1

On rare occasion I do make a vid, try my best not to have other folks in it, as I don't want them in, and for their privacy.  I'll usually turn away, if I notice someone making vid, not sure why, as I'm not wanted anywhere .... that I know of.

Also have to admit, to photo/vid bombing people on occasion.  

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

on YouTube you'll find multiple daily videos of trips up Pattaya beach road and all the sois around town, some cameras are hidden, when they're not i see girls turning away from the camera on beach road 

The thing is if you are in public, on the beach, just walking or window shopping, everybody has a camera in their phone and can inadvertently get you in a shot. Most will only be for personal use so its of no consequence, but you could end up on you tube!

If you are in  a public place you could be photographed, especially as it seems there are more CCTV cameras everywhere.

• Confused 1

More so unavoidable which, over time translates to "acceptable"....

Cumbersome cameras are gone.... They've been replaced with Dick Tracy phones / cameras coupled to instantaneous world wide social media.....

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

The thing is if you are in public, on the beach, just walking or window shopping, everybody has a camera in their phone and can inadvertently get you in a shot. Most will only be for personal use so its of no consequence, but you could end up on you tube!

If you are in  a public place you could be photographed, especially as it seems there are more CCTV cameras everywhere.

I think for most of us it is obvious what people do.

If someone makes pictures of themselves and/or friends and family, fine.

But some people run around with several cameras and sometimes talking into another camera. Their intention seems to be to film and to publish whatever they think brings them clicks and subscribers.

01-vlogging-cameras-and-tools.jpg