How to grow cannabis in Coco Coir (hydroponic)

this linked by you 0-54-32 fertiliser is 300b per kg (including p+p).

How easy and safe is to store 25kg bag, which is 2600b for 25kg so just over 100b/kg?

How many months flowering season lasts?

Say with 10 plants and 2 litres per plant means up to 50g daily so around 1.5kg per month.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/0-52-34-25-i251755470.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.22.4d224de72tCf6x

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

BritManTooSmall 2.5x2.5x5 tent indoors  Mars Hydro 1000  watt led. (autos)

I've been struggling for about 1.5 yrs to get thru a grow without any issues.

I tried many of the 420 soil mixes locally and always have issues near the end.(autos) I suspected root issues.I'm keen to try your coco mix idea.I'm familiar with the Wesco brand as I've used for veggies before. BTW..I have a small fortune in organic nutes (Gaia Green) etc. Would there be any issues using those for top dressing for example? I need to do a little more research in using organic in coco medium. TNX ..you're a great source of info... 

• Haha 1

BMT: Thanks so much for the reply. I now realize that top feeding won't work.I can make a tea from the organic nutes on hand.I'm quite familiar with PH pen use. Next Q ..about what PPM should I shoot for? under 2000 PPM?

Yes there is a lot of controversy around coco use but I'm at my wits end as to why my plants never finish well.I always suspected root issues but don't know how to remedy.I'm now using 3 gal fabric pots, should I go to 5 g in my small tent? I'm giving your method a go and see what happens, its cheap enough to try... PS:I'll probably go with Wesco nutes to start for simplicity sake...

• Like 2

Very nice thread Britman. We have similar systems I also like to play with internodal length so I generally throw some giberrellic acid in the mix as well. ????

Now that we can actually talk about this. I think this thread should be pinned for everyone to enjoy.

Edited by starky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/16/2022 at 7:33 PM, BritManToo said:

I'd go with 3 for autos, the plants never get that big, and you're pouring nutrients through every day, I find the 5s a bit heavy to move around).

I just use the mix levels suggested on the back of the WESCO packet and forget about PPM/T.D.S. I did use a T.D.S. pen a few times, think it was 300-500.

I chucked in 1/2 cap of cal-mag once a week as well, but not convinced it did anything worthwhile (the WESCO 30-20-10 contains trace elements).

I did a couple of autos, but didn't find the crops worthwhile.

IMG_20200414_092044.jpg

The Wesco do not contain all the macro nutrients, such as Sulphur and Calcium. It appears that magnesium is provided but i have not done the calculations to determine the amount.

I can only presume that ypur water has sufficient Calcium  and Sulphur to provide for the plants needs.

Edited by cleopatra2

28 minutes ago, Smithson said:

Great info. How difficult is it to grow indoors here with the heat and humidity? Is it just a matter of air con 24/7? Do the LEDs perform well compared to HID?

Really easy, I never bothered with air-con, just left the tent open in the day.

Don't know anything about HID, always used HLG 240 + Quantum boards (x2).

Avoid the scam 'burple' lights, they're worthless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I have 1/2 dozen 12cm computer case fans dotted around the tent (run from a 12v phone charger). This grow was 32-35c most days, sometimes up to 40c.

The LED driver sits on top of the tent (not inside), and on most days I just leave the tent open, I only close it at night when flowering.

IMG_20200414_095046.jpg

A bit later, the 2 autos in the middle (front Amnesia, rear White Widow) got moved outside the tent, and the 2 plants either side (Critical Orange Punch) became a 'Screen of Green'. It all got a bit too big ...........

IMG_20200512_091205.jpg

Hand watered once every day with nutrient solution adjusted to PH6 (ish).

About 20-30 minutes off work, once a day.

But you need to be there daily. I've known ppl who've had houses burn down, but if the set up is small it's safe enough

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I have 1/2 dozen 12cm computer case fans dotted around the tent (run from a 12v phone charger). This grow was 32-35c most days, sometimes up to 40c.

The LED driver sits on top of the tent (not inside), and on most days I just leave the tent open, I only close it at night when flowering.

IMG_20200414_095046.jpg

A bit later, the 2 autos in the middle (front Amnesia, rear White Widow) got moved outside the tent, and the 2 plants either side (Critical Orange Punch) became a 'Screen of Green'. It all got a bit too big ...........

IMG_20200512_091205.jpg

Hand watered once every day with nutrient solution adjusted to PH6 (ish).

About 20-30 minutes off work, once a day.

Nice looking garden!

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

I now have 3 seedlings potted into peat. (Peat and Coco are both hydro mediums, no nutrients in them, you have to add in the water every day)

I'm putting them out in the early morning sun every day until 10am, when they get moved out of the direct sunlight. I already managed to burn the tips of Wiang Ping's first leaves when I left them out until 11am, no serious damage.

I'm using WESCO 30-20-10 +TE, 5ml mixed in with 2l of tap water, stir well, measure the PH (mine is 6.5) then reduce the PH to 6 by stirring in a small amount of Citric acid crystals. Water around the plant (never on it) until water drips through the bottom of the pot. That 2l will probably last me 3 days on plants this small. 

IMG_20220625_072310.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

Hi BMT,

I've decided to give your style of growing a try.. I've seen where some folks have rinsed any residual salts away and charged it with some Cal-Mag > 300 PPM to help.

Do you agree with this. I realize some coir sources have more salt contamination than others.

I'm using the same Lazada vendor as you. Have you had any salt issues with is supply?

I'll be using your info as a guide. I'll have to get used to feeding every day though.

Will be starting an autoflower soon. Will keep you up to date.

Tnx

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

I'm using the same Lazada vendor as you. Have you had any salt issues with is supply?

If you're using the same supplier as me then it's Greenterra Peat. So no salt problems. If you're using the Coco blocks they've been washed, it's only the loose Coco that's sometimes salty and needs to be washed. Nothing wrong with adding a cap of Calmag to any of the hydro mediums. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jaideedave said:

Hi BMT,

I've decided to give your style of growing a try.. I've seen where some folks have rinsed any residual salts away and charged it with some Cal-Mag > 300 PPM to help.

Do you agree with this. I realize some coir sources have more salt contamination than others.

I'll be using your info as a guide. I'll have to get used to feeding every day though.

Will be starting an autoflower soon. Will keep you up to date.

Tnx

Coco coir has an high cation exchange . Which means that it holds onto the salts from the nutrient mixture. If not treated this will lead to a build up of nutrients in the coir and a change in the root zone ph.

Adfitionally because the coco coir is using some of the nutrients this leads to a nutrient imbalance and some nutrient lockout.

The purpose of the buffering / charging of the coir is to ensure all the nutrients in the feed is going to the plant and not partially being taken by thr coir.

Edited by cleopatra2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Already given up on outside, put my tent up yesterday afternoon and shifted everything inside. Tent open, settings 16hrs led, 24hrs fan. 

IMG_20220626_105310.jpg

BritManToo, I'm seeing about 5 small white gauges. What are you measuring or keeping track of? Light, Temperature, Humidity, CO2? I can't read the numbers. Thanks

• Like 1

BritManToo, now that you've brought the seedlings back inside the tent under grow lights, what is the best distance that you would want the light to the babies? Is there such a thing as too close? You said that the sun was burning them after 10am when you had them outside, can you actually burn them under the lights inside?

Thanks for all this great information, it gives me a lot of confidence to start up a grow of my own.

• Haha 1