Renew retirement non o combination method

I note a question on the Huahin forum asking if Huahin Immigration is accepting the combined method for renewal of non O retirement visas. There was no response to that specific question. I too am considering using this method. Should there be any reader of this wider forum who has recently renewed a visa in this way at Huahin confirmation that it was acceptable would be appreciated. 

I used the combination method 2 years ago in Hua Hin and have since changed to doing  monthly transfers as I needed the money in the bank for a surgery I needed.  If I remember correctly I needed to have 400k in the bank with the balance coming from monthly transfers so it was not possible for instance to have 200k in the bank and monthly transfers totally 600k.  It would be best to go and talk to someone at immigration to see what is currently required. 

11 hours ago, Scott424 said:

If I remember correctly I needed to have 400k in the bank with the balance coming from monthly transfers so it was not possible for instance to have 200k in the bank and monthly transfers totally 600k. 

I believe that is a misunderstanding on the immigration office/officers part of how the rule is really written. ????

There is NOTHING in the rule in thai or english that says for the combination method that you must bank 400K baht. ???? What it says is the seasoning requirements are in effect for the banked portion <- That means what you're banking has to be in the account for 2 months before you apply, must remain in the account for 3 months after and then the balance can't go below 50% of that amount the rest of the year (no matter how much you're banking) ????

I know of a couple immigration offices that told people that, one person I spoke with filed an appeal and had their initial denial of extension overturned (he was using 200K baht banked to make up the short fall of his monthly transfers). Another person wasn't bold enough to tell the officer he disagreed and wanted to file an appeal and I don't know what happened in his case.

As Scott424 correctly suggested, GO talk to the immigration office in person, BUT make it clear you know that there is no "must bank 400K baht" in the combination method and push it as far up the flag pole as you feel comfortable with if you're getting a different answer

Thank you those who responded to my query. Previous experience of contacting this office by phone did not lead to success. The language barrier came between us. The round trip by car from my house to Immigration is over two hundred kilometers and I was hoping to avoid this. Oh well! Seat belt and amulet(s) time.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, john smith said:

The round trip by car from my house to Immigration is over two hundred kilometers and I was hoping to avoid this

Exactly. 

Very easy for some (including me) to suggest vist immigration office when it is not handy.

Having a Thai assistant with you would help with the language issue if you decide to visit immigration.

I'm not familiar with HH attitude re combination method.

What is clear from some reports at various offices is that they refuse combo method.

Clearly not following the "rules".

But as we know they can make up their own.

Personally I wouldn't make waves and just comply with the 400k baht thing which you have at least some evidence your office requires. Combo method is more complicated. Local office enforcement  rules are what matters most if they accept combos at all.

On 6/16/2022 at 6:16 AM, Tod Daniels said:

I believe that is a misunderstanding on the immigration office/officers part of how the rule is really written. ????

There is NOTHING in the rule in thai or english that says for the combination method that you must bank 400K baht. ???? What it says is the seasoning requirements are in effect for the banked portion <- That means what you're banking has to be in the account for 2 months before you apply, must remain in the account for 3 months after and then the balance can't go below 50% of that amount the rest of the year (no matter how much you're banking) ????

I know of a couple immigration offices that told people that, one person I spoke with filed an appeal and had their initial denial of extension overturned (he was using 200K baht banked to make up the short fall of his monthly transfers). Another person wasn't bold enough to tell the officer he disagreed and wanted to file an appeal and I don't know what happened in his case.

As Scott424 correctly suggested, GO talk to the immigration office in person, BUT make it clear you know that there is no "must bank 400K baht" in the combination method and push it as far up the flag pole as you feel comfortable with if you're getting a different answer

I tried to apply for combination method last year as I was a couple of 00 short one month out of 12 (but well over 1 million on average over 12 month period, but irrelevant), and the IO refused to accept the combination method. He said either minimum 65k a month (no exceptions) OR 800k. This was at Chiang Mai.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, roath said:

I tried to apply for combination method last year as I was a couple of 00 short one month out of 12 (but well over 1 million on average over 12 month period, but irrelevant), and the IO refused to accept the combination method. He said either minimum 65k a month (no exceptions) OR 800k. This was at Chiang Mai.

Right.

Some offices won't accept combos at all.

Not fair?

So what else is new?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/16/2022 at 2:39 PM, Jingthing said:

Combo method is more complicated.

65k x 12 = 780k.   320k in bank plus 40 x 12 = 800k 

Takes two more clicks on the calculator. And another letter from your bank.

Edited by KannikaP

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

65k x 12 = 780k.   320k in bank plus 40 x 12 = 800k 

Takes two more clicks on the calculator. And another letter from your bank.

You're wrong.

The officers need to confirm compliance with annual balance rules potentially much more completed with combo 

Also I recall some offices require 400k minimum bank with combo.

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're wrong.

The officers need to confirm compliance with annual balance rules potentially much more completed with combo 

Also I recall some offices require 400k minimum bank with combo.

Which offices please? As for the IO confirming compliance, doesn't take that much detective work.

But as you say, it all depends on the office, the officer and the time of the month!

Luckily for me, my IO in Phitsanulok has said that in December I can go to 12 x 40k plus 320k in the bank, subject to the same 3+7+2 months seasoning.

Just now, KannikaP said:

Which offices please? As for the IO confirming compliance, doesn't take that much detective work.

But as you say, it all depends on the office, the officer and the time of the month!

Luckily for me, my IO in Phitsanulok has said that in December I can go to 12 x 40k plus 320k in the bank, subject to the same 3+7+2 months seasoning.

Do you imagine I have a database of all the offices?

Happy this works for you at your office.

Others need to inquire at their office.