Renting: No-fault evictions would be banned in England under proposal

onthedarkside

7 hours ago, 2009 said:

Anything to stop me putting the rent up so much she leaves?

Why shouldn't landlords do what they want with their property?

She can go stay in a council house if she wants to be treated like a baby 

I can't see a maximum in official UK Gov advice https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/rent-increases#:~:text=For a periodic tenancy (rolling,the rent if you agree. so any constraint would be in the rental contract. 

My contract states 

Rent review
It is agreed that the rent as defined in this Agreement will be reviewed on the anniversary of this Tenancy and upon each subsequent anniversary in line with the change in the Retail Prices Index (RPI) for the previous 12 months and the rent varied accordingly either by way of an upward or downward adjustment.

But my agent said that I could increase the rent by a maximum 10% (I don't know if this is because I hadn't increased it for the 4 years the tenants have been there or if it's a policy of the agent but if we had have increased the rent inline with the contract each year it would be >5% higher than it is with the new increase).

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

These proposals would not be made if there was not widespread abuse by landlords.

If you decide to invest in a business in which your ‘get out clauses’ dump problems on the State then don’t r surprised when the Government respond to widespread abuse by other investors with increased regulation.

I always felt the government should provide basic low cost housing to any British citizen that asks for it. Same for education. health care and food.

A government that expects private organisations and people to take up the slack shouldn't be in power IMHO.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I always felt the government should provide basic low cost housing to any British citizen that asks for it. Same for education. health care and food.

A government that expects private organisations and people to take up the slack shouldn't be in power IMHO.

Well you have some good points there which are social ideals, something the likes of the Tories find to be sickening to them. Now let's think which ex UK PM who deliberately engineered the demise of the British engineering industries, stopped free school milk for young children and was also the socially irresponsible person that allowed the sale of council houses  in 1980 ?

As an example of you excellent post I'll paste this snippet from wiki.

"One third of ex-council homes owned by wealthy landlords[edit]

Tony Belton, a Labour councillor in South West London claimed that, "Speculators have made millions out of exploiting public assets."[9] In March 2013 the Daily Mirror reported that Charles Gow, the son of Mrs. Thatcher’s housing minister, Ian Gow, bought 40 of the 120 former council flats in one housing project in Roehampton, in South West London"

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s attitudes like this that make this change in the law necessary.

Why should private landlords like myself have to become a charity?

You have a contract and that's it; you don't owe them the right to squat in your property indefinitely.

They should rent from the council if they want such benefits

31 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Why should private landlords like myself have to become a charity?

You have a contract and that's it; you don't owe them the right to squat in your property indefinitely.

They should rent from the council if they want such benefits

Nobody is proposing tenants are allowed to ‘squat’.

The proposal is to end ‘no fault evictions’, if a tenant breaks the terms of a contract that is ‘a fault’ for which eviction might be the remedy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's the restrictions in planning permission causing the housing shortages. If you could build anywhere, there would be plenty of housing and prices would fall. 

It’s also the ‘grip’ house prices have on voter sentiment.

Research by Prof. Glen Bramley (Herriot Watt University) concludes there is a backlog of 3.9 million households seeking accommodation, most living with parents and grandparents.

To address the backlog the UK needs to build 340,000 homes a year.

Such a building plan would put at risk UK house price inflation (The inflation homeowners obsess over). It would also undermine the private rental market.

Building the homes the UK needs would undoubtedly cost the Government support at the ballot box.

https://pure.hw.ac.uk/ws/files/24741931/HousingSupplyMay2019.pdf

Edited by Chomper Higgot