How can I live in Philippines with 10000 Peso a month

Jan0

I was told that a lot of people living in the Philippines dont even have the right to live like a very basic westerner

If I have my own unit and don't have problems paying for unit fees and make a budget of 10000 peso a month for food

Then what sort of food should I need to be buying or making??? Would I be struggling???

I am not a good cook and wont spend soo much money

Should I use 10000 peso a month for the maid to get the ingredients and make food and for her to keep the left over money which is a couple of k???

Edited by Jan0
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why don't you check what the local poor people eat? 

That answers your question.

I would suggest the cheapest fish at the market and a 50kg bag of the lowest grade rice...eat for 3 meals a day.  That shouldn't cost more than 10k peso per month.  He may have enough to buy a tomato or two to add to his cuisine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, howlee101 said:

I would suggest the cheapest fish at the market and a 50kg bag of the lowest grade rice...eat for 3 meals a day.  That shouldn't cost more than 10k peso per month.  He may have enough to buy a tomato or two to add to his cuisine.

How much are tomatoes?

Free coconuts, have a lot of nutrition and needed calories and can be consumed every day in smaller portions, rice, chicken legs, little bit fresh and dry fish, fruit and a lot of vegetable you are there. No problem good luck

Edited by Hummin

before we give you advice on your budget for food, please tell us how much you pay the 'maid'....

7 hours ago, Jan0 said:

Should I use 10000 peso a month for the maid to get the ingredients and make food and for her to keep the left over money which is a couple of k???

Well, among a certain subcategory of locals, it is of course it is common knowledge here that you can live quite easily on 10k pesos per month, that is if you "supplement" that with a much larger income from a foreign sponsor.  Even better is to have two or three sponsors who don't know about each other. ????????????

Among another subcategory of locals (and this is more common) another option is to cohabitate with many family members who share expenses.

For yet another subcategory of locals, the long game is to educate your children so that they are qualified to work abroad and send money and balikbayan boxes back home to supplement your  income.

But of course, since in all fairness you don't fall into any of these subcategories, none of these are options for you, as you lack the experiential and family/cultural background to make any of these work for you.   So, assuming that your unit also includes electricity and water, your 10k budget for food can work if you eat a lot of rice and are creative about where you source your protein.  Think about things that you can catch if you are hungry and not at all picky.  Watch the local cats to see what they catch and eat for inspiration.   And when protein still runs short, maybe think of the cats again.  Hmmm.  Cats......

But if you can afford a maid then certainly the 10k must be just your food budget.  I suppose that with a rice base, cheap veggies and the cheapest proteins that you can find or forage, it might be possible.  More so maybe if you live on the coast where you can do some subsistence fishing.