Marriage Visa Requirements

I'm doing this for a computer "illiterate" mate, so bear with me, please, only post "help," critics please do NOT post.

I know this has been asked so many times, but trying to find the info, from thousands of posts is almost impossible, so, here I go.
The main question is this requirement for Baht 400,000, after it being in the bank account for 2 months, or after the visa is granted, does the money, all, or part of, need to remain in the bank, or is it possible to use it, if so, when does it need to be topped up, if indeed it needs to be. Mine mate is now retiring, on an Australian pension, so, Aussies, please help a fellow Aussie out, any info on living, in Thailand, on the pension, would also be welcomed, he has free accommodation, both in Bangkok, and Sisaket.

Thnx guys

Is he asking about applying for a non-o visa at immigration or a one year extension of stay based upon marriage or both?

For the non-o visa the 400k baht has to be in the bank on the day the application is done.

For the one year extension the 400k baht has to be in the bank for 2 months on the date of application. He should plan on keeping the 400k baht for 30 days after apply when the extension will be issued after a under consideration period.

After getting the extension stay he can do what he wants to with the 400k baht.

Here is my list of general requirements the extension.Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Is he asking about applying for a non-o visa at immigration or a one year extension of stay based upon marriage or both?

For the non-o visa the 400k baht has to be in the bank on the day the application is done.

For the one year extension the 400k baht has to be in the bank for 2 months on the date of application. He should plan on keeping the 400k baht for 30 days after apply when the extension will be issued after a under consideration period.

After getting the extension stay he can do what he wants to with the 400k baht.

Here is my list of general requirements the extension.Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

Hi Udonjoe, thanks for the very quick reply.
He will be going to Thailand, in a few months, first on a holiday, but I suspect he will either get married, or make plans to, he has been with the lady for 3 years, so I'm guessing he will apply for a non-o visa. So, if I read it correctly, after getting a non-o visa the 400k stays in the bank, after 3 months he then applies for the extension of stay, then, when granted, he should wait 30 days, then he can use the 400k. When the extension of stay expires, does he need the 400k in the bank, to apply for another extension?

Edited by Aussie999

26 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

Mine mate is now retiring, on an Australian pension, so, Aussies, please help a fellow Aussie out, any info on living, in Thailand, on the pension, would also be welcomed, he has free accommodation, both in Bangkok, and Sisaket.

OP, ubonjoe answer has covered your questions 

You mention OP being on pension and possibly staying in 2 different locations.

If possible it would be best to choose immigration office where he intends to obtain his extension each year.

Having stated that he can change his immigration office with a change of address.

Personally I would go for the money in bank option.

It basically ties up 400k baht for two months + under consideration period each year.

So total 3 months. Then can be used. 

It's not clear if your friend already has a non O marriage.

Is he currently in Thailand. 

5 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

So, if I read it correctly, after getting a non-o visa the 400k stays in the bank, after 3 months he then applies for the extension of stay, then, when granted, he should wait 30 days, then he can use the 400k.

I did my previous post at same time as your post.

He will obtain non O in Thailand having entered on tourist visa.

Visa exempt is also possible but he is not even married at this time.

To obtain the non O marriage he requires 400k on day of application.

The non O grants a 90 day permission of stay.

With fund having been in the bank for 2 months he would obtain 12 month extension.

Note the non O requires 15+ days remaining on permit.

I suggest he enter on tourist visa and obtain 30 day extension to provide time. 

Apart from all that he should check what he needs for marriage.

For example "right to marry"

Might be best to obtain in Oz prior to travel.

There is marriage and divorce forum and lots of info there. 

Edited by DrJack54

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I did my previous post at same time as your post.

He will obtain non O in Thailand having entered on tourist visa.

Visa exempt is also possible but he is not even married at this time.

To obtain the non O marriage he requires 400k on day of application.

The non O grants a 90 day permission of stay.

With fund having been in the bank for 2 months he would obtain 12 month extension.

Note the non O requires 15+ days remaining on permit.

I suggest he enter on tourist visa and obtain 30 day extension to provide time. 

Apart from all that he should check what he needs for marriage.

For example "right to marry"

Might be best to obtain in Oz prior to travel.

There is marriage and divorce forum and lots of info there. 

thnx mate

He will be coming to my place, soon, so I will pass this info onto him, I think he will be happy. Besides his divorce certificate, is there any other proof for a right to marry... I have told him to get it translated to Thai.

Edited by Aussie999

30 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

Besides his divorce certificate, is there any other proof for a right to marry.

One of the married guys will advise. 

Recently I have had chats with guy that did a rush marriage here with same pathway that your friend is planning to non O.

Was amazed how quickly it was all possible.

Edit: just checked my pm,s...

"So, married on the 19th May and marriage extension approved on 7th June making 19 days from start to finish"

Edited by DrJack54

44 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

Besides his divorce certificate, is there any other proof for a right to marry... I have told him to get it translated to Thai.

He will need to do a affirmation of permit to marry at the Australian Embassy here.

He can have the divorce certificate translated to Thai here if needed at a Amphoe to register his marriage.

2 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

Besides his divorce certificate, is there any other proof for a right to marry... I have told him to get it translated to Thai.

hi,

i think he needs to get a status paper form his embassy. To do that, her future wife must get her birth certificate and her status papers which can be obtained from her hometown amphue. Some amphues also give the documents but some asks to go and get from her hometown. After she got them, you guys need to translate them into english and certified from the minister of foreign affairs. Then take them to your embassy. After you submit those papers of hers, you can ask for your status paper which says you are not married in your country or here in thailand or anywhere else and you can marry with her. Now with all these documents again you need to translate them into thai and certified from the minister of foreign affairs. Now you can take these papers and go to any amphue you want and get marry. It will take probably 15min.

The steps i told you are for almost all countries dont know if your friend embassy want or not. probably want.

If he is getting the pension from Australia he can get a letter from Centrelink stating that how much he gets ever month which is above the 40k baht required and 12 months bank statement to back it up I did it took a bit of running around but worth it. Don't forget every immigration is different so ask what they want locally then you know

• Confused 1