Google Says Thai Tourism Shows Clear Signs of Recovery

webfact

35 minutes ago, webfact said:

Google’s chief of Travel Vertical Search for Asia-Pacific, Laura Marie Arens, said Thailand’s tourism industry is seeing clear signs of recovery following the suspension of the Test & Go scheme on May 1, with the number of searches for Thailand steadily increasing since the beginning of May.

That, or you could actually switch off the computer and take a look outside.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Didn't look like it yesterday.... bit of vehicular traffic on the Klang but Buakhao seemed quiet. Not sure if the forecast rain kept them out, but in reality it was clear and sunny, and oppressively hot. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Didn't look like it yesterday.... bit of vehicular traffic on the Klang but Buakhao seemed quiet. Not sure if the forecast rain kept them out, but in reality it was clear and sunny, and oppressively hot. 

Cha Am was the same, fairly quiet which was very nice.  This mornings beach walk is devoid of anyone else.....wonderful.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

There are definitely lots of tourists in BKK at the moment. Particularly at Icon a few days ago. Plenty of non mainland Chinese too.

Your equating a weekend which is always busy and the malls are filled, during the week it is miniscule.  That is when we drop by Icon Siam to sit outside in the Garden Area with a coffee and enjoy the view.....pretty much alone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Travis179 said:

I just grabbed a $1,500 R/T fare from SFO on China Air. Leaving next month. 

Bargain basement deal, looks like they are trying to stay Afloat.......pun intended

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your equating a weekend which is always busy and the malls are filled, during the week it is miniscule.  That is when we drop by Icon Siam to sit outside in the Garden Area with a coffee and enjoy the view.....pretty much alone.

I wasn’t only at Icon at the weekend, in fact I’m there 2 or 3 times a week. I was talking in general terms and not only about shopping malls.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

trends are currently leaning towards workation activities

In that case, there is no trends.

Workation is the new name for digital nomadism.

So essentially what that complete m0r0n at Google is saying is that tourism in Thailand is picking up because digital nomads are back in Chiang Mai.

You must be f*cking kidding me ????

• Haha 1

If you care to go out, there are indeed lots of tourists. Here in CM you see since months a definite increase in young western tourists, yes with mask. Second but obvious, a good number of Singaporeans and Malays. And when I was transiting at Suvarnabhumi a few days ago, impressive (to be kind) numbers of Indians on flights to Phuket. Also, my flight from Europe was 100% booked and many were mixed western-thai couples, I don't know if you want to count them as tourists but they are indeed arrivals.

We are of course far from the crazy pre-covid numbers, good for me, and it will stay so until the Chinese resume travelling.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

During this year’s Google Hotelier Summit, held on June 16 at the Athenee Hotel in Bangkok, Google’s chief of Travel Vertical Search for Asia-Pacific, Laura Marie Arens, said Thailand’s tourism industry is seeing clear signs of recovery following the suspension of the Test & Go scheme on May 1, with the number of searches for Thailand steadily increasing since the beginning of May.

Hardly surprising, since the General decided it was time to drop the one thing that's been holding back tourists.

Google?.....   All that means is it's no longer pointing down towards the toilet. You've been flushed away and now you're looking up from the bottom of the drain hole.

Climbing back up is going to be a real tough job.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is likely people are inquiring about Thailand. Are the restrictions still in place? Are masks still required? Is nightlife re-opened? How has the nation fared due to the shutdowns? How are hotel prices now? 

Does that mean they will visit, once they find out the nation is still masked up? After closing your doors for over 2 years, it is not an easy thing to restart anything. They waited far too long to ease the restrictions. Only time will tell to what extent tourism will rebound. 

There's almost no masks in sight on soi moo cow, LK, walking street or soi 6. Either in the bars or on the streets. The only people wearing masks are the occasional vendors and motorbike taxi riders.

• Like 1