Dashcam advice

4 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

They tend not to work that long, after my 3rd broke I bought a proper camera and had it installed by the dealer where I bought my car. Never had a problem since...

Anyone thinking they can get a quality camera in the 1000 baht range, does know cameras.  Also, buy from authorized manufacture site or auth. resellers.   Lots of knock offs out there.

Good with those 1000 baht purchases.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, mudcat said:

A question I have gone back and forth on is whether to 'speed stamp' the video.  I have it turned off at present as I do want a video of the miscreant but I don't want to give my insurance company information about the speed we were traveling at - should there be a largish claim against us, let the other party prove how fast we were going.

steve.  

I guess that could be a tick for one not wired in. In the event of something like that simply unplug it and get your wife to put it in her bag

12 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Our family company in the UK is a long-established (101 years) car sales and servicing business with a good reputation to uphold.  We install only NextBase dashcams. NextBase are a UK company with around 80% of the UK dashcam market and about 67% in Europe. Also available in Thailand I believe. They are good quality at a reasonable price and we've had very few problems. They perform well at low levels, with good resolution to read plate numbers.

You really need to install front and rear cameras. Use a good quality genuine U3 Class 10 SD card (we use NextBase branded cards - never a problem).

Using a cigar-lighter adapter looks messy and you end up with wire trailing across the dash.

Hard-wiring is very easy. A NextBase hardwire kit should be less than ฿1000 and include fuse spurs in the three common automotive fuse styles. Connecting into the fuse box takes a matter of minutes. Route the cable behind trim using a set of plastic trim tools (฿50 from Mr DIY).

Mine uses the cigarette lighter and there are no wires trailing across the dash. The wire goes up behind the glove compartment, tucked in behind the A pillar then tucked under the head lining. All installed in 5 minutes without removing anything. Mine is an Anytek that is 6 years old, battery never really worked for more than a few minutes but camera works fine with the ignition on. Gave up on suction cups and got a little adaptor that attaches to the stem of the rear view mirror.

2 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

Mine uses the cigarette lighter and there are no wires trailing across the dash. The wire goes up behind the glove compartment, tucked in behind the A pillar then tucked under the head lining. All installed in 5 minutes without removing anything. Mine is an Anytek that is 6 years old, battery never really worked for more than a few minutes but camera works fine with the ignition on. Gave up on suction cups and got a little adaptor that attaches to the stem of the rear view mirror.

Yeah I saw a video on how to do that....under the headlining down the left hand A pillar and into the glove box. That's how I will do it I think. I know a lot of people say you get what you pay for etc but I have had some mind blowingly cheap good stuff from Lazada over the last 5 years and a lot of it maybe at a glance not as smooth and refined looking as the expensive things but certainly works a treat and for a long time with all the features. In parallel have had some bad experiences with top dollar / brand name stuff. I look for stuff with 100's / 1000's of positive reviews on Lazada and usually don't go wrong. The Thais LURV social media and word gets around about particular products and they just LURV value for money. 

19 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Is there any benefit to hardwiring?

Yes as it frees up the cigarette lighter for charges etc.  and your windscreen is free of cables. This is a 'piggy back' fuse can be fitted to ignition fuse in fuse box.

cdc33f736dd2320f83e1fed17e26eae8.jpg.9cc12512cbb8d26b81879136d44ec4f8.jpg

If you look at reviews and examples you will find that cheap cameras are not good enough to capture the details you need. 

Good cameras start at about 4,000. The cheapest of the good ones are the Viofo A129 Pro Duo Ultra 4k Front + Full Hd 1080p Rear Dual Channel Wi-Fi Gps Dash Cameras. 

I can't comment about the Xiaomii as I haven't seen reviews of them in comparison to others, they certainly cold be good. The Blackvue are excellent but are very expensive in comparison to others at over 2.5 X the price of the Viofo, for me I can't see the value.

As to wiring in or using a cigarette lighter plug, wiring in is neat and simple for any accessory shop it takes about 30 minutes and is invisible  using the 12v plug is a pain as I need it to charge devices. If you want the cameras to be on standby when the ignition is off you really want a battery pack designed for the job. I haven't bothered with ours.

2 hours ago, alanrchase said:

As I said, our business supplies and fits dashcams. Very few customers would accept an install using a cigar lighter adapter. They often want to use the cigar lighter socket for other accessories (mobile phone charging), running the wire from the lighter socket to where it runs behind the dash looks untidy, and of course on many vehicles (e.g. most VW/Audi, many Fords) the lighter socket stays live when ignition is switched off - potentially leading to a flat battery if the car is left parked for a long time. Most customers expect an 'invisible' install. 

8 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

As I said, our business supplies and fits dashcams. Very few customers would accept an install using a cigar lighter adapter. They often want to use the cigar lighter socket for other accessories (mobile phone charging), running the wire from the lighter socket to where it runs behind the dash looks untidy, and of course on many vehicles (e.g. most VW/Audi, many Fords) the lighter socket stays live when ignition is switched off - potentially leading to a flat battery if the car is left parked for a long time. Most customers expect an 'invisible' install. 

I have two sockets in my car and two USB outlets so no problem if other accessories are used. The sockets are pretty much out of sight below the gear lever so no wires to be seen unless you put your head between your knees. Of course, if I was paying someone to do an installation I would expect a professional job.

Edited by alanrchase
Add text

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you look at reviews and examples you will find that cheap cameras are not good enough to capture the details you need. 

Good cameras start at about 4,000. The cheapest of the good ones are the Viofo A129 Pro Duo Ultra 4k Front + Full Hd 1080p Rear Dual Channel Wi-Fi Gps Dash Cameras. 

We have the Viofo A129 Pro Duo and I may highly recommend it. Bought it over a Lazada dealer.

It is professionally installed with all wires hidden (exept directly at the camera, which is impossible anyway). And here is where they can do this with high quality: Rocket Sound, +66-2825-9999. They are in Bangkok, Radchadapisek Road 222/2. They will do it in one day but it is better to call before and make an appointment for they can be busy. If you are based in Pattaya, forget to find something similar in the vicinity and drive to BKK instead for it is worth it.

Edited by moogradod

On 6/22/2022 at 11:14 PM, HauptmannUK said:

Our family company in the UK is a long-established (101 years) car sales and servicing business with a good reputation to uphold.  We install only NextBase dashcams. NextBase are a UK company with around 80% of the UK dashcam market and about 67% in Europe. Also available in Thailand I believe. They are good quality at a reasonable price and we've had very few problems. They perform well at low levels, with good resolution to read plate numbers.

You really need to install front and rear cameras. Use a good quality genuine U3 Class 10 SD card (we use NextBase branded cards - never a problem).

Using a cigar-lighter adapter looks messy and you end up with wire trailing across the dash.

Hard-wiring is very easy. A NextBase hardwire kit should be less than ฿1000 and include fuse spurs in the three common automotive fuse styles. Connecting into the fuse box takes a matter of minutes. Route the cable behind trim using a set of plastic trim tools (฿50 from Mr DIY).

Have a Nextbase Duo I brought from U.K.  ( a single unit on windscreen but with a rear facing camera built in) so easy installation ,especially as 'cigarette lighter' power supply in my glovebox so could run the wires to the unit without ugly trailing. 
The heat though kills the battery very quickly (nextbase even replaced the original  which then lasted 2 months!) but it’s not necessary for normal running anyway. I’ve not seen them available in Thailand but think they’re relatively expensive anyway,but as you say ,good .

16 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

The lighter socket generally only works when accessory mode is on via the car’s ignition switch ,so ideal.

I ended up getting the one that clips on your rear view mirror. Not the ultimate thing to use / set up but pretty sure it should do the job. Tested some footage before and quite useable. One thing I didn't count on was I have a strip of very dark tinting about 6" from the top of the windscreen and even with the nozzle of the lens pointed down as far as it goes the screen / movie is still showing about 1/3rd black strip. No problems as it doesn't block out the traffic view only some of the sky but I have a feeling it is confusing the lens having daylight and a dark strip.....like maybe the camera is compensating for the dark patch by overexposing the rest of the view. The only adjustment I can see that may help a bit is White balance which can be set to Auto, cloudy or sunlight. I am guessing set to sunlight to maybe dim it down a bit or should it be the opposite? There is no contrast control etc and nothing I can think to do to aim the camera down a bit from the black tint strip. If I do that it will mess up my rear view mirror view. I am surprised the lens gimble doesn't have more adjustment, only about 5 degrees in either direction.

Anyone have any ideas?

On 6/23/2022 at 11:57 AM, alanrchase said:

Similar here…

Self install front & rear cams (Xiaomi 70 Mai) - plugged unto 12v socket, all wired under the dash, tucked inside up pillars & roof upholstery.

Fitting to windscreen with a robust double sided sticky pad,

Suction cups & clip-ons can come off too easily over bumps & extreme breaking & may not capture and accident.

Edited by richard_smith237

Just for information. The battery in a DashCam is to allow the last file to be shut down and saved after the ignition is turned off.

In normal daily use this may not seem relevant, and if there has been no incident it does not matter if the last file is corrupt and not saved.

But if you have an accident where the power is cut to the camera, the last file, the important moments leading up to the accident will not be saved, and the whole point of having the camera is lost.

So be sure when you switch off the ignition the camera is still working, saving the last file before it shuts down.

Just FYI  

• Like 2

dashcam is up to what you want.

there are cams just for recording. you cannot even see the other cars number plates. So these are no good for me. I prefer 4K cams. i can see number plates and many other details. Actually i dont understand why people are buying 1080p. i think you need at least 2K. There are many mirror cams in lazzada. I bought one 2K. it worked well tbh but later it died. 

i strongly suggest you DDpai or 70mai they are really good and very very clean and nice view. you can see everything. Price starts from 3500 baht if i remember correct. maybe looks expensive but trust me great view and recording. 4K dont buy Eklava

Edited by problemfarang
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 11:26 AM, mudcat said:

A question I have gone back and forth on is whether to 'speed stamp' the video.  I have it turned off at present as I do want a video of the miscreant but I don't want to give my insurance company information about the speed we were traveling at - should there be a largish claim against us, let the other party prove how fast we were going.

steve.  

If you keep the speed down and not necessarily within posted speed limits, you don't need to worry about it, no?

Do you have any amulets?

On 6/24/2022 at 6:15 PM, Beachcomber said:

Just for information. The battery in a DashCam is to allow the last file to be shut down and saved after the ignition is turned off.

In normal daily use this may not seem relevant, and if there has been no incident it does not matter if the last file is corrupt and not saved.

But if you have an accident where the power is cut to the camera, the last file, the important moments leading up to the accident will not be saved, and the whole point of having the camera is lost.

So be sure when you switch off the ignition the camera is still working, saving the last file before it shuts down.

Just FYI  

Good point well made. I noticed my 1000 baht dashcam was turning itself off during the normal 5 second shut down (with screen logo and tune abruptly cut off). I check my SD card weekly to make sure that it's recording stuff OK and found that the recordings for some days were completely missing. I also noted that some recordings would jump from the front camera view to the rear camera view on the same file. I opened it up and checked the 3.7v Ni-Mh battery used for g-shock events and found it was no longer charging. I ordered a replacement battery on lazada, replaced the dud one (soldered in on fly leads) and Bob's your uncle. Battery costs between 35 baht and 70 baht so well worth it to resurrect a cheap dashcam.

5 years ago or more the question itself was more valid. 

These days its somewhat of a no-brainer. 

The Xiaomi 70mai a800s dash cam came on the market.....   

- Forward and rear facing (4500 baht)

- Easy purchase from Lazada

- Incredibly easy to self install (plugs straight into a 12v port), wires can easily be self run under the - upholstery (or can self wire with a fuse tap).

- Small enough not to be obtrusive under the rear-view mirror. 

- Front Cam: 4k (140 degree)

- Rear Cam: 1920x1080 (130 degree)

- Clear night vision / recording

The cam handles the heat (no no issues). 

Sticks to the windscreen (with 3M tape) and stays there. 

I know people have different views... but if in the market for a reliable and quality dash-cam there really is no need to get anything else other than than The Xiaomi 70mai a800s unless price is a major concern in which case compromises will have to be made on quality and reliability etc. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 6/28/2022 at 12:27 PM, richard_smith237 said:

5 years ago or more the question itself was more valid. 

These days its somewhat of a no-brainer. 

The Xiaomi 70mai a800s dash cam came on the market.....   

- Forward and rear facing (4500 baht)

- Easy purchase from Lazada

- Incredibly easy to self install (plugs straight into a 12v port), wires can easily be self run under the - upholstery (or can self wire with a fuse tap).

- Small enough not to be obtrusive under the rear-view mirror. 

- Front Cam: 4k (140 degree)

- Rear Cam: 1920x1080 (130 degree)

- Clear night vision / recording

The cam handles the heat (no no issues). 

Sticks to the windscreen (with 3M tape) and stays there. 

I know people have different views... but if in the market for a reliable and quality dash-cam there really is no need to get anything else other than than The Xiaomi 70mai a800s unless price is a major concern in which case compromises will have to be made on quality and reliability etc. 

Moreover, the Xiaomi does not have the annoying and distracting live-screen.
We fixed them behind the mirror to the windscreen, and almost invisible.
Read from mobile phone.

Edited by KKr
spellchecker intervention