Dashcam advice

Started driving the kids to school morning rush time. Absolute brainless lunatics on the road so I think a dashcam is required. I don't really want to mess around hard wiring one in and local shops her quoting 2500+ for installation and an extra 1500 for rear camera. I don't believe you always have to spend top dollar to get a decent product either. I got a couple of stand alone IP CCTV cameras have had for over 3 years now cost me 400 baht each. Neve failed. Full remote rotation, movement activation, alarm and auto push warnings. Outside undercover with all the bugs etc too. 

I see a lot of dashcams under 1000 baht on Lazada and many have 100's of positive reviews. Looks like most you can just plug into your cigarette lighter or USB. One in particular looks like a rear view mirror that clips onto your review mirror. Anyone have any insight? Is there any benefit to hardwiring? Like for eg cigarette lighter power wont be active unless ignition on. Any advice appreciated

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Before our present car, which came with dashcam, I used 'action cams'.  

Fan of Xiaomi, ThiEYE. AKASO brands.

Did you wire them in or just plug them in or...

main problem I have had with them  ( 3 so far) it the battery can't take the  heat and   causes failure in about 3 months.

I am looking into models with no battery now ( they use a capicator  for brief shut down power)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pasathai said:

main problem I have had with them  ( 3 so far) it the battery can't take the  heat and   causes failure in about 3 months.

I am looking into models with no battery now ( they use a capicator  for brief shut down power

So they are rechargeable normally? Only plug them in to charge the battery like a phone?

I have wired in in one car , and have a few cheaper units that I plug into accessory power in my other cars. Both work the same way, it just looks neater if properly installed.  

Installed unit - F & R cams, plug ins are F only.

We bought one very much like this through Lazada...The back camera came with it but I didn't want to drop the headliner to route the wiring...It's been flawless for 2+ years = plug & play....This looks like an updated version of the one we have....

Screenshot_2022-06-22-20-59-20-05_39060a31215a48c7aaf1fb3368fa2e89.jpg

Screenshot_2022-06-22-20-52-14-25_39060a31215a48c7aaf1fb3368fa2e89.jpg

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Been happy with Blackvue but expensive.

Xiaomii are good, 

had on in our car for 3 years, no issues. 

Have Blackvue DR900X 2 ch it’s expensive but very good. Have had several cheaper ones. It records your speed… so some may not want that.

The ones that clip on your Mirror are worth considering if you want something cheap and simple.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Been happy with Blackvue but expensive.

Xiaomii are good, 

had on in our car for 3 years, no issues. 

Had one for 3 years but the battery only ever lasted about 4 minutes

10 hours ago, pasathai said:

No problem with the battery in mine.

The sucksion pud drops off when it gets too hot and the camera drops into the shade by the gear shift.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Did you wire them in or just plug them in or...

I've used one plugged into the cigarette lighter for several years never had a problem with it.

Got it on Lazada for about 900 baht.

Sticks to the inside of the windscreen using a suction cup.

Edited by Andycoops

Why would you want a dash cam on if the ignition is off?

I bought a couple at Lazada and they are okay. But you need to fit them yourself or get someone to fit them which costs extra money.

I went to my local Honda dealer for a service last week, and they were selling two different versions for around 2,300 baht each.

It looks fine. And of course they fitted it for free

It's one of these small digital mirrors that hangs underneath the main mirror with the camera pointing forwards, and wired through the car to a camera stuck on the back. I previously bought a cigarette lighter extension lead so that I have three cigarette ports which I put in the glove compartment. So I still have power from that despite plugging the mirror into one of them.

For your information I previously bought one of these wide 10-inch mirrors to strap over my existing mirror. I liked it for a time, but the shiny reflective surface of the display can be difficult to read when you glance up from driving the car. So after using it for over a year I have gone back to using my proper mirror and having this small mirror hanging below it.

Using the proper mirror of course it also means you can talk to your friends sitting on the back seat which you can't see if you're using a full camera!

Edited by Andyfez

4 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

I bought a couple at Lazada and they are okay. But you need to fit them yourself or get someone to fit them which costs extra money.

I went to my local Honda dealer for a service last week, and they were selling two different versions for around 2,300 baht each.

It's one of these small digital mirrors that hangs underneath the main mirror with the camera pointing forwards, and wired through the car to a camera stuck on the back. I previously bought a cigarette lighter extension lead so that I have three cigarette ports which I put in the glove compartment. So I still have power from that despite plugging the mirror into one of them.

For your information I previously bought one of these wide 10-inch mirrors to strap over my existing mirror. I liked it for a time, but the shiny reflective surface of the display can be difficult to read when you glance up from driving the car. So after using it for over a year I have gone back to using my proper mirror and having this small mirror hanging below it.

Using the proper mirror of course it also means you can talk to your friends sitting on the back seat which you can't see if you're using a full camera!

The idea of having it on when ignition off is to record anyone possibly breaking into your car or even to monitor outside the car....say pointing at your house or something else. Whether it is important to me...probably not but that's the general idea. You have probably seen on the news where they actual caught a perp from dashcam footage from a stationary car. 

Seeing you have had one that straps in front of the mirror, I will ask a few questions if I may.....One thing I don't understand is that you strap it across your existing mirror right? Back of the cam against the front of your existing mirror. But the cam has the lens protruding from it so its not going to sit flush against your existing mirror unless it is offset, off to one side? so the lens sits out beside you're existing mirror right?

Looks like these have an inset screen. Does this interfere with your full screen mirror view? Or can you turn this little screen on and off?

I so far have only seen this type and the type with a suction cup or sticky back, both which fall off on a hot day. I will have a look for one sits below the mirror, sounds like a great idea

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Before our present car, which came with dashcam, I used 'action cams'.  

Fan of Xiaomi, ThiEYE. AKASO brands.

Xiaomi dash cams are very good and simple to install.

Lazada or Shoppee.

You can install them yourself or have the local tire shop guys put it for 100 baht. 

15 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

Mine sleep, but power back up when the cams G-Sensor detect movement.

thats why they are hardwired to the vehicles electrical system.

20 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

I had a lady back back into our car while parking.  Luckily I was sitting in the car waiting for wife shopping with AC & cam on.  She gets, doesn't notice me or the car even on.  Looks at the damage and walks into the same shop the wife was.  ????

I call the wife and told her chickie in whatever dress just hit the car, and she denied it of course, until told on vid.   Too funny.   Because her truck was unnaturally jacked up, it wasn't a bumper to bumper tap, and it actually needed some repair work instead of a simple spray.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

To answer your question.
If you get bumped in a carpark, the cam will come on and hopefully capture the  offender.

The OP should think very carefully, a cheap dashcam is as good as no dashcam.

Xiaomi do some decent 4K cameras, that just plug into the lighter socket, but you can hard wire if needed.

We got ours with the car, a Toyota branded 1080P, it was fitted for free as yours, it’s worth about 2500B but it’s not great, it doesn’t capture a number plate moving fast. It will be ok to protect my ass but won’t catch a hit and run.

2500B for fitting a camera (front and back) properly is way too much, it’s usually about 500B, you can buy a xiaomi one fitted, all-in for 2500B. 

Edited by recom273

A question I have gone back and forth on is whether to 'speed stamp' the video.  I have it turned off at present as I do want a video of the miscreant but I don't want to give my insurance company information about the speed we were traveling at - should there be a largish claim against us, let the other party prove how fast we were going.

steve.  

16 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I see a lot of dashcams under 1000 baht on Lazada and many have 100's of positive reviews.

They tend not to work that long, after my 3rd broke I bought a proper camera and had it installed by the dealer where I bought my car. Never had a problem since...