Advice needed for OA renewal/extension

Hello All

Hoping that one of the experienced expats can help me. Its my first year in Thailand on an OA visa issued in the UK (UK passport holder), and will come up for renewal/extension in ~3 months.

I'm living in Asoke, Bangkok and asking do any of you have agents you can recommend to assist in the process? I have read the Immigration/Ministry of Foreign affairs websites with docs needed but also would like to avoid as many surprises as possible! 

Thanks in advance

Mark

If your Non-OA visa is still valid you can leave and re-enter the country to get a new one year entry up to the day it expires. That could be done by doing a border hop.

You would need a full year of insurance to get a one year stay from it.

No need to apply for a extension of stay for about a year that requires financial proof.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mwardy said:

I'm living in Asoke, Bangkok and asking do any of you have agents you can recommend to assist in the process?

You don't need an agent.

All you need to do is exit and reenter prior to expiry of your non O-A visa. 

You will be stamped in for another 12 months.

Be aware that if you wish to exit and return in that 12 months you will need to buy a reentry permit either multiple or single.

Now do some research on what insurance you need to obtain for that period. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 6:03 PM, ubonjoe said:

If your Non-OA visa is still valid you can leave and re-enter the country to get a new one year entry up to the day it expires. That could be done by doing a border hop.

You would need a full year of insurance to get a one year stay from it.

No need to apply for a extension of stay for about a year that requires financial proof.

UJ is correct, I did exactly what he said last week. The only thing to be aware of its that while you get stamped in for one more year from the day you re-enter, if you exit without a re-entry stamp neither your visa nor one year entry stamp will be valid. A multiple re-entry permit is 3,800 baht and keeps that from happening. If you are going to stay in Thailand for the whole year the entry stamp is good for then no need to buy a re-entry permit.

On 6/24/2022 at 6:12 AM, DrJack54 said:

You don't need an agent.

All you need to do is exit and reenter prior to expiry of your non O-A visa. 

You will be stamped in for another 12 months.

Be aware that if you wish to exit and return in that 12 months you will need to buy a reentry permit either multiple or single.

Now do some research on what insurance you need to obtain for that period. 

I am on a Non-OA visa and have left the country twice since I renewed it last September at Chonburi Immigration in Jomtien, Pattaya. Each time I have been stamped in only until the current expiration date. I did not get an additional 12 months as reported here. Curious.

1 minute ago, sghanchey said:

I am on a Non-OA visa and have left the country twice since I renewed it last September at Chonburi Immigration in Jomtien, Pattaya. Each time I have been stamped in only until the current expiration date. I did not get an additional 12 months as reported here. Curious.

Not curious at all.

A Non Imm O-A Visa has multiple entries.

Meaning you get 12 months entry every time you enter while the Visa is still valied.

You had an extension of stay.

Not the same thing.

4 minutes ago, sghanchey said:

Your visa had expired. You were on an extension of stay for 1 year. 

8 minutes ago, sghanchey said:

Each time I have been stamped in only until the current expiration date. I did not get an additional 12 months as reported here. Curious

To exit and reenter prior to expiry of visa and be stamped in for 12 months you would require insurance for that period.

Do you have a valid non O-A or have extension to a non O-A. 

Edit: just read that you "renewed" your visa.

What you mean is that you obtained an extension.

The visa is not extended but rather your permission of stay is extended. 

Edited by DrJack54

2 hours ago, sghanchey said:

you only get stamped in for the validity of your insurance policy

3 minutes ago, flexomike said:

you only get stamped in for the validity of your insurance policy

That is only if a person is entering with a valid Non-OA visa. He is on a a extension of stay based upon retirement not a OA visa.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is only if a person is entering with a valid Non-OA visa. He is on a a extension of stay based upon retirement not a OA visa.

Joe, I understand that, but when you are on an extension of an OA visa with a reentry permit as far as I understand you would never get an additional 12 months only stamped in until the expiration date of your extension. Am I missing something, I have been on an extension of an OA for six years and except for my original entry with the OA visa I have always just got stamped in until extension expiration date. 

40 minutes ago, flexomike said:

Am I missing something, I have been on an extension of an OA for six years and except for my original entry with the OA visa I have always just got stamped in until extension expiration date. 

You mentioned insurance in your post. The expiration date of the insurance is not relevant when using a re-entry permit for a extension of stay.

The extension would of been issued to when the insurance ends or to the day the current one ends if the insurance's validity was equal to to that day or longer.

• 4 weeks later...

Somewhere here the issue of generating a year's worth of bank statements on the Bangkok Bank website was discussed, with someone- perhaps Ubon Joe- showing how a 12-month statement could be requested there. When I tried the "Request Statement" option, the only accounts available were my credit cards- not my savings account- the one I have to show with the 65,000 baht/month record. Anything I am missing?

10 minutes ago, sghanchey said:

Somewhere here the issue of generating a year's worth of bank statements on the Bangkok Bank website was discussed, with someone- perhaps Ubon Joe- showing how a 12-month statement could be requested there. When I tried the "Request Statement" option, the only accounts available were my credit cards- not my savings account- the one I have to show with the 65,000 baht/month record. Anything I am missing?

The statements can only be requested on their mobile app. It cannot be done on the online site.

To do it on the mobile app you select accounts and then the account you want it for. Then you click the 3 dots at the top of the page to select statements.