U.S. Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, ending 50 years of federal abortion rights

onthedarkside

10 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

That's been the law for 50 years in the US and is the law in most countries in the world.

How about the right wing doing more to help living people live longer?  The argument about abortion being murder is pure religion.

It really is nothing to do with Left Wing /Right Wing or Religion . 

Not sure why some people need to divide everything up to be either Left or Right .

This subject is about whether you agree with  abortion or not 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It really is nothing to do with Left Wing /Right Wing or Religion . 

Not sure why some people need to divide everything up to be either Left or Right .

This subject is about whether you agree with  abortion or not 

Your basis for objecting to abortion is because it's killing a foetus which may or may not become a child. You appear to have no regard for the mother's choice, desire or ability to raise a child, physical or mental health. Nothing other than it's "murder". You justify that by claiming that the mother should make better choices. Most people would draw the conclusion that kind of objection is based in religion.

Edited by ozimoron

20 minutes ago, Mark Nothing said:

I applaud the Supreme Court decision.  My common sense says life begins at conception.  Doctors snuffing out life is one more reason, on top of many others, that I no longer use their services.

Some people's common sense is difficult to differentiate from uncommon nonsense.

23 minutes ago, Mark Nothing said:

I applaud the Supreme Court decision.  My common sense says life begins at conception.  Doctors snuffing out life is one more reason, on top of many others, that I no longer use their services.

If you get cancer or have a stroke, or some other curable ailment like a hernia or sexually transmitted disease you won't seek medical treatment? Really? I don't believe that for a moment.

Edited by ozimoron

53 minutes ago, Mark Nothing said:

Wow someone who is confident they’ll never have an accident requiring medical care.

41 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Your basis for objecting to abortion is because it's killing a foetus which may or may not become a child. You appear to have no regard for the mother's choice, desire or ability to raise a child, physical or mental health. Nothing other than it's "murder". You justify that by claiming that the mother should make better choices. Most people would draw the conclusion that kind of objection is based in religion.

You alone  came to that conclusion that it must be "Religion" , "most" people didn't come to that conclusion .

Its a person choice as to whether she gets pregnant or not , that is her choice to make  , once she's decided to get pregnant she needs follow through and give birth . 

If She doesn't want to get have  a child and be pregnant , then don't get pregnant and have a child   .

Getting pregnant and then not having a Child shouldn't be an option .

Its the woman's choice as to whether she gets pregnant or not 

32 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You alone  came to that conclusion that it must be "Religion" , "most" people didn't come to that conclusion .

Its a person choice as to whether she gets pregnant or not , that is her choice to make  , once she's decided to get pregnant she needs follow through and give birth . 

If She doesn't want to get have  a child and be pregnant , then don't get pregnant and have a child   .

Getting pregnant and then not having a Child shouldn't be an option .

Its the woman's choice as to whether she gets pregnant or not 

The bottom line is that is has been an option for decades in every developed country in the world. It's a woman's right. Your comment that getting pregnant is her choice is frankly quite offensive. Pure misogyny. Sorry if you find that offensive but I'm sure vanishingly few people agree with you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

The bottom line is that is has been an option for decades in every developed country in the world. It's a woman's right. Your comment that getting pregnant is her choice is frankly quite offensive. Pure misogyny. Sorry if you find that offensive but I'm sure vanishingly few people agree with you.

Why is it "offensive" ?

Unless there is a rape , why wouldn't it be her choice as to whether she gets pregnant or not ?

If She doesn't want to get pregnant, then all she has to do is avoid measures that may result in her getting pregnant 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Why is it "offensive" ?

Unless there is a rape , why wouldn't it be her choice as to whether she gets pregnant or not ?

If She doesn't want to get pregnant, then all she has to do is avoid measures that may result in her getting pregnant 

Because it display's sheer ignorance of the issues surrounding pregnancy and is a totally un-nuanced view of a complex subject. Furthermore it is at odds with what every social scientist in the country will tell you.

The fact is that it's impossible for women to always avoid pregnancy on the basis that they don't want to get pregnant. The reasons have been repeatedly pointed out to you and you haven't budged or acknowledged any of the arguments put to you. You stick to an extreme woman hating agenda, deeply rooted in extremist misogyny when compared to the mainstream view.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

You stick to an extreme woman hating agenda.

I do resent that remark and completely disagree with it and I will not continue the discussion, unless you retract that false allegation .

You made that false allegation , then I am either left to ignore and and could be seen as condoning  it  or left to deny the allegation and somehow prove that I don't "hate woman" .

So, ether retract  that allegation or the discussion ends 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I do resent that remark and completely disagree with it and I will not continue the discussion, unless you retract that false allegation .

You made that false allegation , then I am either left to ignore and and could be seen as condoning  it  or left to deny the allegation and somehow prove that I don't "hate woman" .

So, ether retract  that allegation or the discussion ends 

I don't care, I stand by my assertion that your views are extreme by most people's yardstick. And I'm sure most would find those views offensive.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

Just now, ozimoron said:

I don't care, I stand by my assertion that your views are extreme by most people's yardstick.

Once again, that it just YOUR opinion and you don't speak for "most people".

I have a view that if Woman doesn't want to get pregnant, they shouldn't let sperm enter their womb .

You may find that to be an extreme woman hating point of view , but to me its lost logic and nature 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I have a view that if Woman doesn't want to get pregnant, they shouldn't let sperm enter their womb .

You may find that to be an extreme woman hating point of view , but to me its lost logic and nature 

I'm saying that I believe that most people will align with my opinion and reject yours. It's not just MY opinion although I'm perfectly willing to be proved wrong.

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well yes , if you want to be argumentative , there are always exceptions to the rule .

Everyone knows that miscarriages can and do happen , was it really necessary for me to state the obvious ?

Yes it was, and not just because you yourself often require others to state ‘the obvious’.

However, there are a couple of far more serious points to be made.

Firstly, if abortion is outlawed then women who miscarry are at risk of being prosecuted on the basis of mere suspicion. This Inevitably gives rise to an increased likelihood of women who do miscarry failing to seek the medical attention they need.

Secondly, there are multiple ‘non viable’ pregnancies for which abortion is the only means of avoiding death or serious injury to the pregnant woman.

Not stating the obvious negates consideration of these very real risks.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I agree, it’s an extreme view, or at the very least grossly myopic.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

So, do you support a women's right to use contraceptives in order not to get pregnant? That's now Thomas' target. And apparently McConnell as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

But you are still denying a future person their life .

Even in the Bible a fetus is not considered a person until it is born and takes its first breathe.   The future is very bleak for any animal that is not wanted by the mother, including people.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I agree, it’s an extreme view, or at the very least grossly myopic.

Oh really ?

If my views are extreme , what is the moderate view for ways females can avoid getting pregnant and thus wanting abortions ?

Taking the pill to avoid pregnancies is extreme and myopic ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

So, do you support a women's right to use contraceptives in order not to get pregnant? That's now Thomas' target. And apparently McConnell as well.

As you haven't retracted you allegation that I have an "extreme woman hating agenda", I will not continue with the discussion with you .  

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Oh really ?

If my views are extreme , what is the moderate view for ways females can avoid getting pregnant and thus wanting abortions ?

Many women don't take the pill because they don't intend to have sex but are raped or coerced anyway. Abortions are ALWAYS a reaction to an unplanned pregnancy and NEVER a means of contraception.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

As you haven't retracted you allegation that I have an "extreme woman hating agenda", I will not continue with the discussion with you .  

It's not a personal flame, it's an observation about your views.

• Like 2

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well show some self respect and stop replying to people with an "extreme woman hating agenda " and my "extreme misogyny" .

I'll call out bigotry as I see it and make no apology for doing so. I'll also live with the consequences.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Secondly, there are multiple ‘non viable’ pregnancies for which abortion is the only means of avoiding death or serious injury to the pregnant woman.

Yes, those are anomalies , once again using the extreme cases for general occurrences . 

We aren't  talking about abortions on medical grounds where the woman could be harmed if she went ahead with the pregnancy 

We are talking about general normal pregnancies where there is no risk to the woman or unborn baby 

40 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Oh really ?

A moderate view might, by example, encompass how people actually live their lives, the mistakes people make and the fact that nobody or no thing is perfect.

• Like 1