Dangerous and selfish trucks

17 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

What is the benefit to the truck driver/owner? - Genuine question.

I thought these rubber flaps were designed to reduce the amount of water being sprayed from the truck wheels onto other vehicles.

They are not designed, simply a Thai addition without any scientific proof. Sheets of rubber extending so much just ensure that the surface water is thrown out to the side of the vehicle due to the negative pressure wave being created. You have probably noticed on some decent Shell/PTT tankers here that they have a spray reduction mudflap  and also around the wheel arches that has what looks like a tough plastic comb. These actually are designed and are common in Europe and elsewhere and actually do work.  I suspect they are either too expensive or else the Thai truckers/owners think they know better.

12 hours ago, bluemoon58 said:

Not a complaint, just an observation as I chose to live here but, in my 10 years here I've found Thais to be a very selfish nation of people on the whole. There are exceptions but very few and far between.

I find most rivers here are courteous. People will generally let you into a gap in heavy traffic. Try pusing your way into a gap into most western countries. You will see how selfish they can be.....cos I HAVE RIGHT OF WAY !!!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Road congestion or not you keep your distant rule of thumb enough that you can see the vehicle in front their rear wheels.

As a commercial trained driver these trucks are normally used to haul dirt but the rear mat attached taking a guess if the truck bed loaded dirt can fall below the bed and kick back up to the rear vehicles if you are following close enough?  But usually your standard mug flaps would take care of that problem unless you follow too close reason back off unless you want your windshield cracked?

Like logic here it escape me with things at times but shouldn't be of any surprise there are double deckers buses modified right out of the factory that they aren't balances when going around corners as noted no enforcement so in time people do what they want many times we just say to our self?

Thailand 49 - "Rule of thumb". I haven't heard the expression for a long time. A very good comment.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 11:32 PM, PJ71 said:

There was recently a push to clamp down on the pick ups with the wheels that stick out past the wheel arches

This is nothing new. 

The cops are always on the lookout for modified vehicles (cars or bikes) any modifications. 

You'll get a ticket if you drive a non standard vehicles on public roads 

On 6/26/2022 at 9:22 PM, AustinRacing said:

I see  trucks with those extra wide rubber flaps

These can be useful if the truck has been off road, a muddy area. 

They often throw up stones and mud, these large flaps stop the debris flying up at vehicles traveling behind. 

20 hours ago, Kwasaki said:
On 6/27/2022 at 5:18 AM, NanLaew said:

The road was decribed as 'congested and narrow' so we can assume narrow lanes.

The picture in the OP indicates that a Toyota pickup wing mirror is higher than the obstruction. How about the mirrors on a Yaris or an Accord or an Attrage?

See a lot of things on Thai roads that frankly wouldn't bother me it's an exaggeration and I was referring to and answering about a motorbike wing mirror.

Yes, the motorbike mirror that nobody else including the OP, was talking about.

PS: It's OK, I saw your subsequent 'old habits die hard' comment.

Edited by NanLaew

21 hours ago, Ralf001 said:
21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Like in most countries, rear view or wing mirrors are probably a legal requirement whereas a 1 m by 4 m heavy vulcanized rubber 'mudlflap' is...

I doubt that truck is 4m wide.

Correct. It isn't.

I'm talking about the 'mudflap' though.

19 hours ago, rwill said:

I think they see it as doing it for your benefit.  To help keep rocks and such from hitting the cars behind them.

That's the third member talking about all these rocks on the road.

Where do you guys live?

14 hours ago, superal said:

The exception being if you are involved in a rta and the other party is a Thai , the odds are against you . Only yesterday my lady was hit in her car by a motor bike . The police came along with her insurance company  Motor rider clearly at fault . He did not have a crash helmet , no licence , no tax , no insurance . Police fined him 400 baht but he said he had no money . Police told him to go and be more careful in the future . Our insurance will pay for the car repairs but come next ins; renewal , I have no doubt that there will be a hike on the premiums , because of the claim .

Not if you don't claim. What's your deductible (if any)?

My bro-in-law clipped his gatepost in his brand new, financed to the hilt Revo. Mostly paint gouges that would buff out, minor metal deformation and a partly torn plastic mud flap. He was dead set on getting it repaired and claiming on insurance. My rule of thumb is if a fender bender repair is under 10,000 baht, just pay for it yourself. Too many Thai owners use their insurance to get all the annual dings, dents and scrapes all sorted "for free".

50 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:
On 6/26/2022 at 9:22 PM, AustinRacing said:

I see  trucks with those extra wide rubber flaps

These can be useful if the truck has been off road, a muddy area. 

They often throw up stones and mud, these large flaps stop the debris flying up at vehicles traveling behind. 

Another rock fan?

These mudflaps are an aberration based on a nonsense.

The only Thai truckies add-on I see that works here is the small bundle of tire inner tube strips hanging from the outer edge of a truck wheel arch that flail in the slipstream and brush the tires outer sidewalls so they always look shiny and clean (without legal tread depth).

There's a lot of posts about the technicalities of mudflaps which is all good but my take on it is that it's a fashion statement to make the trucks look "different".

Same as putting a 10" tin can on the exhaust pipe or twenty mirrors on each side of the windscreen etc.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, the motorbike mirror that nobody else including the OP, was talking about.

PS: It's OK, I saw your subsequent 'old habits die hard' comment.

Thanks stalker. ????

3 hours ago, actonion said:

i lived in  Manly many years

that's in the nice part of town. maybe they're all courteous drivers that don't speed or aren't glued to their phones. 

go to Western Sydney brother, it's a different story out there. those drivers have PhD's in selfishness and could teach the Thais a thing or two.

19 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

that's in the nice part of town. maybe they're all courteous drivers that don't speed or aren't glued to their phones. 

go to Western Sydney brother, it's a different story out there. those drivers have PhD's in selfishness and could teach the Thais a thing or two.

Parramatta?

19 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

no need to go that far, C*nterbury-Bankstown is closer. just pray you don't get caught up in a gang feud. and definitely don't flip the bird to anyone ????

Bankstown and neighboring towns used to be  nice  places  in early 70's, but i have heard of these sad  stories from friends,  even Redfern area is a bit dodgy  is that right?  

2 hours ago, actonion said:

Bankstown and neighboring towns used to be  nice  places  in early 70's, but i have heard of these sad  stories from friends,  even Redfern area is a bit dodgy  is that right?  

strangely enough the Bankstown area is highly sought after these days. ex-housing commission fibro shacks are going for $1m plus. that's just for the land; they usually get turned into a duplex so more cars, more traffic, more pollution. lots of people in my old area used to burn wood for heat in the winter so you'd have all these chimneys spewing out PM2.5 etc. it gives Bangkok a run for its money in the AQI stakes ????

that's why I'm not really fazed by what the Thais get up to here because they're not that much different to what I'm used to back home. the main difference is that Australia has better law enforcement. if they were as lax as the BiB I reckon the outcome would be much the same. probably worse, they'd put even bigger mudflaps on their trucks to make them look "fully sick" ????

ps. I dunno about Redfern now but years ago it was well dodgy. Sydney city and Kings Cross at night were also very dangerous for a while, there was a big spate of 'coward punch' attacks that left a few people dead including one 18 yo kid who had just stepped out of a taxi on his first trip to the Cross. Thailand has its flaws but I don't know that I've ever read of stuff like that happening here. usually you have to provoke someone to get a kicking here.

Kwasaki said:

I will do that to my truck in 2 years time when it's due for 7 year inspection if they are bothering still about it. 

I think mine are just a bit out from the wheel arch if you look closely.

I don't think you'll have any problem.

8 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

Kwasaki said:

I don't think you'll have any problem.

Thanks I looked more closely and the actual tread is on the edge of the wheel arch only the side wall of the tyre bulging out further.

• Like 1