Dangerous and selfish trucks

7 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

There was recently a push to clamp down on the pick ups with the wheels that stick out past the wheel arches, doubt anything will change.

These tend to be the same pick ups that pump out the nasty black smoke.

Never heard of such a clamp down.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

In other countries you are not allowed to have anything protuding beyond the body of the vehicle

Rear view mirrors would have to surely otherwise how could one see rearwards???

Trucks, busses, all have them. Even in the same Op photo, the truck on the left, it is clearly shown.

Looks actually about the same distance out from the truck as the "offending mudflaps" of the one in front right.

I think the Op just needs to learn to drive to the conditions.

What happens when a float with a dozer onboard comes the other way, still claim rights to one side of the road..??

I think not.....

Edited by bluejets
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluejets said:

Trucks, busses, all have them. Even in the same Op photo, the truck on the left, it is clearly shown.

Looks actually about the same distance out from the truck as the "offending mudflaps" of the one in front right.

What happens when a float with a dozer onboard comes the other way, still claim rights to one side of the road..??

I think not.....

Like in most countries, rear view or wing mirrors are probably a legal requirement whereas a 1 m by 4 m heavy vulcanized rubber 'mudlflap' is...

8 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

What is the benefit to the truck driver/owner? - Genuine question.

I thought these rubber flaps were designed to reduce the amount of water being sprayed from the truck wheels onto other vehicles.

They are in fact nothing more than a fashion accessory. They will not make any difference to water spray and actually will make it worse. Unless they are fitted with anti spray mud guards, as required in the EU, they will never work! But like everything else out here, things will never change much like the HGV test, or lack of training!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluejets said:

I think not.....

They are factory fitted ! I shoukd have qualified it with "accesories" for you.

10 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Nearly lost a wing mirror to one of those coming the other way just the other day.

The road was congested and narrow and he obviously had forgotten or didnt care that the rear rubber guard was a good 15 inches beyond his vehicle. A-hole ! 

In other countries you are not allowed to have anything protuding beyond the body of the vehicle

dont know what the law states here, but it wouldnt matter as clearly its rarely enforced anyway, and thats the problem with many issue, no enforcement.

Gee if you cant see that small extension on the sides you may not want to drive here. It's better to have this type of full flap that reaches down to the road rather than rocks and debris flying into your grill or windshield, in my opinion 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Gee if you cant see that small extension on the sides you may not want to drive here. It's better to have this type of full flap that reaches down to the road rather than rocks and debris flying into your grill or windshield, in my opinion 

So if the truck is coming toward you in a narrow street and you are stopped, whaf coes it matter what you can see ? You cant move and he's driving toward you ! And that "small extention" was around 12 inches !beyond the vehicle.

You call this a "small extension" ????

SmartSelect_20220627-084532_Firefox.jpg

Same issue as any driving here.

3 cars and 4 scooters abreast on a 2 lane road with a car double parked to go into a shop.

Much better than the 1/2 rubber deflectors used in most countries.

That pic is also not on all trucks, I've been behind at least 12 to 15 in the last week alone due to construction in my area of NST. 

To each his own, I opt for the e tea protection rather than damage from mud and debris 

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

That's Thailand, man. Indeed they are selfish.

And those Truck drivers are really rolling time bombs because stoned driving, imminent brake failsure, missing tail Lights, speeding....????

pretty hard not to be selfish in a country where you don't get handouts like in the nanny state. life is hard scrabble for most people here.

• Like 1