U.S. Supreme Court sides with public high school football coach who lost his job for praying after games

onthedarkside

42 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The opinion that matters is that of the voting public.

See how that system works.  So far, so good.

Elected officials, selected and approved appointments, who did the right thing with their rulings, and now people are crying about 'their' voting choices.

hmm ... go figure

Next time they may want to pay attention and vote differently.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

See how that system works.  So far, so good.

Elected officials, selected and approved appointments, who did the right thing with their rulings, and now people are crying about 'their' voting choices.

hmm ... go figure

Next time they may want to pay attention and vote differently.

Yes electing Trump.was a fatal error.

8 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Wonder if gorsuch would be happy for me to stand at the opposite end of the pitch with a hailer chanting “there is no god,!there is no god, there is no god” over and over.  

If so, then fair enough…

Of course Gorsuch, or any one else for that matter, is happy for you to express any opinion you have on whatever topic.  But that doesn't mean anyone has to listen or even care.

The US Constitution specifically defines limitations on the government, not citizens.  It is the government or government agencies that can not restrict your voice on whatever topic.  The ruling is correct.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, 86Tiger said:

Of course Gorsuch, or any one else for that matter, is happy for you to express any opinion you have on whatever topic.  But that doesn't mean anyone has to listen or even care.

The US Constitution specifically defines limitations on the government, not citizens.  It is the government or government agencies that can not restrict your voice on whatever topic.  The ruling is correct.

''The ruling is correct.''

There we disagree

''Of course Gorsuch, or any one else for that matter, is happy for you to express any opinion you have on whatever topic.''

LOL, I'm sure he is...

Edited by Bluespunk

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure how his praying 'after' the game has any relevance at all to anything, or could possibly violate any school rules.  If reading it correctly.  If before, or during the game, maybe.  But after the game, his time is his to do as he pleases.

His choice to do it on the 50 yard line is a bit (look at me) silly.  

SCOTUS got that ruling correct IMHO

Did his state funded salary end at the final whistle?

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Yes electing Trump.was a fatal error.

Had nothing to do with that, as I haven't voted in a presidential election since 1980.  So I didn't elect any of the idiots.  Thankfully the one I voted for lost.

Edited by KhunLA

16 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Did his state funded salary end at the final whistle?

Haven't a clue, but the SCOTUS sided with him...so there's that.

Anything else, the hows and whys are irrelevant.

• Like 1

Just now, KhunLA said:

Haven't a clue, but the SCOTUS sided with him...so there's that.

Anything else, the hows and whys are irrelevant.

When the supreme court trashes the separation of church and state, it shows they have an agenda to establish a christian theocracy in the US.

"In just a few years, the court has upended constitutional doctrine, shifting from a rule that permits states to decline to fund religious organisations to one that requires states in many circumstances to subsidise religious indoctrination with taxpayer dollars.”

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2022/jun/21/sonia-sotomayor-supreme-court-separation-church-state

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Had nothing to do with that, as I haven't voted in a presidential election since 1980.  So I didn't elect any of the idiots.  Thankfully the one I voted for lost.

I wasn"t talking about you.

1 hour ago, 86Tiger said:

Your argument, such as it is, is extremely simplistic. The teacher in question is, by way of being an employee of a public school, an agent of the government. As such, in the past, it has been held that because their authority is ultimately governmental, they don't have the right to use their authority or position promote religious beliefs. In the past it has been held that such activity is inevitably an abuse of authority since it puts  pressure on those who do not share such beliefs  to either conform or not conform to a position held by an figure of authority. One whose decision can affect their school career. It was held previously that no student should be put in such a position. Now, apparently, it's okay. 

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

And you claimed that a Muslim coach who behaved in such a way would never be hired in the first place, correct? So is it in accordance with the Constitution not to hire someone because they would exercise what the Supreme Court calls their constitutional right but wrong to fire someone for the same practice?

If you read my first response correctly, I said "never fire", I never mentioned "hire", you did.  Trying to change the content to suit your argument I'm sure is not allowed on this forum.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, howlee101 said:

If you read my first response correctly, I said "never fire", I never mentioned "hire", you did.  Trying to change the content to suit your argument I'm sure is not allowed on this forum.

You're absolutley right. My mistake. I misread "fire" as hire.

• Like 1

The whole thing hinges on the matter that private prayer is just that, a matter between yourself and Almighty God. If this gentleman felt the need to pray, there was no need to do so publicly. Or involve anyone else, let alone the football team he was coaching.

Obviously, Mass or any other church service is different. That is a public act of worship, and what is more unbelievers would not be attending. 

By making it public he caused all his own problems.

Wasted as it happens, everyone knows surely that Rugby is the Almighty's game!

Edited by herfiehandbag

7 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’ve heard it said she is.

There may be something in that - when Ian Paisley died and arrived in heaven he demanded an immediate audience with God. He was most insistent and would not wait. After ten minutes of him bellowing, Saint Peter shut him up by telling him that God would see him as soon as she got back from Mass!