U.S. Supreme Court sides with public high school football coach who lost his job for praying after games

onthedarkside

Screenshot_6.jpg.a56dc85fc841ee0ae6b7034d11ea9ab3.jpg

Washington — The Supreme Court on Monday ruled in favor of a former football coach for a high school in western Washington who lost his job after praying on the 50-yard-line after games.

The court ruled 6-3 along ideological lines that the free exercise and free speech clauses of the First Amendment protect an individual engaging in religious expression. Justice Neil Gorsuch delivered the opinion for the majority in the case, known as Kennedy v. Bremerton School District.

"The Constitution and the best of our traditions counsel mutual respect and tolerance, not censorship and suppression, for religious and nonreligious views alike," Gorsuch wrote.

The dispute involving Joseph Kennedy, the former Bremerton High School assistant football coach, stood at the intersection of the First Amendment's establishment clause and the free speech and free exercise clauses, as lawyers for Kennedy argued the school district's punishment for his religious expression violated his constitutional rights.

(more)

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/supreme-court-joe-kennedy-high-school-football-coach-school-prayer-case/

CBS-News.jpg.fae2470b882826d101211351c0888c30.jpg

5 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

The Constitution and the best of our traditions counsel mutual respect and tolerance, not censorship and suppression, for religious and nonreligious views alike," Gorsuch wrote.

Wonder if gorsuch would be happy for me to stand at the opposite end of the pitch with a hailer chanting “there is no god,!there is no god, there is no god” over and over.  

If so, then fair enough…

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

One of my high school coaches was affectionately called Jesus Jack. ahahaa

This is an example of how we focus on the wrong things. Instead of focusing on the education, we instead make a big deal over a coach praying. Instead of being worried about our kids falling behind scholastically, we concentrate on pronouns. 

Bill Maher did a show on how China is passing us by as world leader because of our silly sense of wokeness. This nonsense with the coach is a prime example of losing focus on what's important. 

I'm sure Bill Maher is for separation of church and state.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

What I’d like to know is if the Satanists who asked for the right to pray on the field were allowed to do so?

Of course they weren't but they realized if they continued to allow Jesus freak coach to lead his flock of impressionable boys then they would have a hard time denying the Satanists.

Edited by Jingthing

34 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm sure Bill Maher is for separation of church and state.

Look at the big picture instead of focusing on a shiny object. As liberal as Maher is he sees the insanity of wokeness dragging America down the drain.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Look at the big picture instead of focusing on a shiny object. As liberal as Maher is he sees the insanity of wokeness dragging America down the drain.

I don't think Bill Maher would approve. It's not woke to suggest a man should not influence kids or put pressue on them to pray to Lord Jesus at a school football game. 

Okay relax and assume the position
Go into doggie submission

Devo Praying Hands - YouTube

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

So for a governmental organization it's constitutionally sanctioned to discriminate on the basis of religion?

No but this coach was fired by the school for praying but the SCOTUS righted a wrong.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, howlee101 said:

No but this coach was fired by the school for praying but the SCOTUS righted a wrong.  

And you claimed that a Muslim coach who behaved in such a way would never be hired in the first place, correct? So is it in accordance with the Constitution not to hire someone because they would exercise what the Supreme Court calls their constitutional right but wrong to fire someone for the same practice?

4 minutes ago, howlee101 said:

No.

Fired for using his official position to intimidate/groom young boys to participate in a religious activity in a public school. Separation of church and state being crushed by this American Christian Taliban illegitimate court.

• Sad 1

If the guy was praying in his own time and not involving any students or staff in his prayers then the ruling is correct.

If he was on the clock or involving students or staff in his prayers then he was in clear breach of separation of Church and State.

There are other religions that require followers to break all activities for prayer several times a day, I’ve personally witnessed followers of one such faith praying halfway through business meetings.

Let’s see if these folk are extended the same ‘Constitutional Rights’.

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Apparently the ruling doesn't agree with you opinion.

SCOTUS' opinion, is the only one that matters.  They're batting 1000 in my book.

They are a purely POLITICAL court now.

They are illegitimate.

Two of their recent far right wing radical seats filled by dirty political trickery.

Yes they have massive power but is not power by consent of the people.

The founders never intended the high court to be another purely partisan political body.

American democracy is being flushed down the toilet.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Apparently the ruling doesn't agree with you opinion.

SCOTUS' opinion, is the only one that matters.  They're batting 1000 in my book.

FREEDOM to own

FREEDOM to choose (according to state)

FREEDOM to express

The opinion that matters is that of the voting public.

• Thanks 1