Could Thailand now be the place to book a holiday?

webfact

7 hours ago, ericisking said:

"The Thai baht is likely to remain weak for the next few months"

Eh ?  It's stronger than it was last year, 5 years ago and 10 years ago !

Currently the Thai baht has been on an upward trend ranging from 35.17 to 35.4308 to the US dollar.

Would not take much to dis lodge Thailand in SE Asia. 

I expect it wont't be long before other countries in that area start catering to expats and long stay tourists. Then Thailand will be history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, garyk said:

Would not take much to dis lodge Thailand in SE Asia. 

I expect it wont't be long before other countries in that area start catering to expats and long stay tourists. Then Thailand will be history.

It seems that the neighbouring countries do not want Thailand's expats , Vietnam briefly courted E-x-pats , then quickly changed their minds and pulled the barriers up again 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It seems that the neighbouring countries do not want Thailand's expats , Vietnam briefly courted E-x-pats , then quickly changed their minds and pulled the barriers up again 

I never have understood why the other countries over there do not go after tourists and expats more aggressively?

41 minutes ago, garyk said:

I never have understood why the other countries over there do not go after tourists and expats more aggressively?

The retired felang who I knew that made the move from Thailand to Vietnam , he was living in a Thai village supporting his GF and her kid and living on 1000 Baht a day , 500 to his GF and 500 on alcohol ,he got fed up with that life , left her and the village and moved to Vietnam and got himself a cheap condom and spent his time Vietnamese bars chasing hookers .

I did notice when I went to Vietnam that there seemed to be a bar in every town with a bunch of old dishevelled Westerners all hanging around in dive bars and eating takeaway food on the streets .

Vietnam then stopped their visas .

Last thing I heard, he had moved to Cambodia

• Like 1

For better or worse, I'm coming back for September and October.  Wifey will stay a few months longer.  Round trip economy airfare on Qatar from east coast USA is $1,300 -$1,400 USD.  So be it.  I left in 1980 and went back in 2001 and 2006, so this will be 16 years since the last trip.  We have a house in Loei that I've never stayed in.  Need to get back and visit relatives there and in Vietnam before I get too damn old.

Hey, at least someone recently built a little watering hole an 8 minute walk from our house. 

new restaurant - watering hole.jpg

Edited by Damrongsak

9 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Currently the Thai baht has been on an upward trend ranging from 35.17 to 35.4308 to the US dollar.

It just took a bit of a dive back in the short term. Happened Tuesday morning GMT and at 35.0 now,

17 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Think you answered your own question. YOU are a returnee and coming NOT for a holiday I would say but an extended period of near 5 months - that is not a holiday in my books.

Family Holidays are mostly 2-3 weeks,  people looking to travel to Thailand as a family rarely book on impulse - especially as Thailand is really only opening as the european schools finish for summer. It's just too late for most - sure some will come, but  not the idiotic numbers they think.

It could pick up towards the end of the year, but I seriously think the nest 4-5 months will be dire and December better

On that you're probably correct - my reply was basically to your suggestion that there'll be no holidaymakers THIS YEAR. Possibly a little too pedantic?

On 6/27/2022 at 10:38 PM, arithai12 said:

In your dreams. Does the writer actually live/eat out in Thailand?

Not sure what he's trying to say. But if we live here, maybe we don't need this?

this guy is talking out of his Harris...prices in shops.. markets.. restaurants and bars are Up  what planet is this guy on 

On 6/28/2022 at 3:37 AM, steven100 said:

Could Thailand now be the place to book a holiday?

Nope .................

If people want to come to Thailand they'll come, if they want to holiday somewhere else they'll book elsewhere

On 6/28/2022 at 6:46 AM, notrub said:

Especially attractive now the mask mandate is gone.  Great! Invite people from all over the world and breathe in their breaths.  I am keeping my mask handy and will wear it in any public place.  Here in Isaan we still wear them in shops. 

You still don’t understand that the wearing of a mask function is primarily to protect OTHERS from the wearer . Here’s a rather revealing but revolting test - get someone to f a rt next to you in a confined space and then wonder why you can smell it despite the mask ????. The virus particle is way smaller than what the mask filters !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

If people want to come to Thailand they'll come, if they want to holiday somewhere else they'll book elsewhere

You do understand that people may have a number of countries on their short list and will decide based on a number of factors,including the easiness of booking/travel and prevailing conditions on arrival? 

2 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

You do understand that people may have a number of countries on their short list and will decide based on a number of factors,including the easiness of booking/travel and prevailing conditions on arrival? 

Which is why I said if they want to come here they will, if they have a better option they won't.

On 6/30/2022 at 7:51 AM, nchuckle said:

You still don’t understand that the wearing of a mask function is primarily to protect OTHERS from the wearer . Here’s a rather revealing but revolting test - get someone to f a rt next to you in a confined space and then wonder why you can smell it despite the mask ????. The virus particle is way smaller than what the mask filters !

The teeny tiny virus hitchhikes a ride on water vapour and snot coughed up by that person sat next to you.  It does not exist as an entity floating 'naked' in the air.  It is you who does not understand Mr Chuckles.  I have found that a tumbler of bleach works very well and I drink one every night b4 bed.  Plays hell on my golden tan, however.

1 hour ago, notrub said:

The teeny tiny virus hitchhikes a ride on water vapour and snot coughed up by that person sat next to you.  It does not exist as an entity floating 'naked' in the air.  It is you who does not understand Mr Chuckles.  I have found that a tumbler of bleach works very well and I drink one every night b4 bed.  Plays hell on my golden tan, however.

Which is exactly my point-the person wearing the mask has those expulsions  inhibited /reduced by the mask thus to the benefit of those around him. The tiny remnants that remain will hardly  be filtered out by the typical mask you are wearing. Suggest you do a bit more reading to avoid further embarrassment.l

10 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Which is exactly my point-the person wearing the mask has those expulsions  inhibited /reduced by the mask thus to the benefit of those around him. The tiny remnants that remain will hardly  be filtered out by the typical mask you are wearing. Suggest you do a bit more reading to avoid further embarrassment.l

So you are more concerned about the extremely small percentage of 'remnants' that do escape, but fail to see the benefit of holding back the major  'expulsions'......

Sorry, but that is just dim.

I suggest that masks prevent them being breathed in too!

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

So you are more concerned about the extremely small percentage of 'remnants' that do escape, but fail to see the benefit of holding back the major  'expulsions'......

Sorry, but that is just dim.

I suggest that masks prevent them being breathed in too!

The kindest thing I can say about that post is that it represents reading and comprehension difficulties… Try again?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nchuckle said:

The kindest thing I can say about that post is that it represents reading and comprehension difficulties… Try again?

Why would I, I would still interpret it as rubbish.....

• Sad 1