Could Thailand now be the place to book a holiday?

webfact

Certainly, because a Boutique Hotel on South Jomtien that cost 800 Baht about 2 months ago for our family of three, now cost about 1,800 Baht and we have to pay 700 Baht for an extra bed for our Daughter. We thanked them and said no thanks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Way too little, way too late in the game. The near retarded delay has cost Thailand dearly. While other countries were opening and demonstrating courage, Thailand continued with extreme timidity. Thailand is now the land of the forgotten. 

You cannot shut down the entire tourism industry for nearly 2 years, decimate the nightlife, hotels, restaurants and countless related businesses, engage in a very poorly planned vaccination program, create a climate of fear and panic, and then just expect because you open your doors again, millions will flood in. The world does not work like that. 

Thailand is NOT the center of the known universe. It is becoming less relevant by the minute. Tourists are forgetting Thailand. Thailand needs foreigners 100x more than they need Thailand. 

Just becoming comfortable with little or none around. 

The only real damage to be seen are within the Farang/Tourist Ghettos.

the rest of the country functions nicely, as it always has, without the myth of the tourist economy. 

Some of you are talking about people not going to come because of the economic

situation.

I think just because of that a lot of (older) foreigners are wanting to spend the coming

winter over here.

Prices of fuel and energy(heating costs) but also electricity are soaring!

If people can rent a cheap house over here for 3 or 5 months they can be warm all winter

for the same amount of money as staying there.

Yes flight costs are also increasing but for the sake of quality of life i know what i would do.

Of course Covid is also a concern and in a few countries ,including Thailand new cases are

on the rise again but there are no indications yet the new variations are really dangerous.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No foreigners where I live and everyone appears extremely short of money.

Something is definitely wrong with the Thai economy.

The usual suspects are easily fooled and seduced.

The same folks who really know little of the society/country.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Why does Asia Now have more 'nay sayers" who clearly are totally uninformed than one would expect on a normal forum.  We have our own little resort on Samui and the activity of the booking platforms is absolutely buzzing!  I suggest some of them would do well to take a more informed and balanced view before leaping on to their key boards!

• Like 2

With the prices of airline tickets and just overall prices in europe skyrocketing, then Thailand has big time missed out on european tourists by opening up so late.. Most people simply do not have the spending power that they had 6 months ago, so it ended up as so many said, that Thailand would be the big looser of the countries around that region with the holding back strategy for so long...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

Could Thailand now be the place to book a holiday?

Nope .................

Unlikely from the UK.   With all the all the problems at airports and on the trains difficult for people to  go anywhere, although long haul is a big less of a risk than short haul.

About a month ago I had my flight from  Gatwick to Belfast cancelled at 36 hours notice. I made an error on the claim  and had to resubmit, in the space of 24 hours over 10,000 claims had been submitted. Still waiting on the outcome.

The board would be on fire if people actually had something concrete to whinge about.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

Why does Asia Now have more 'nay sayers" who clearly are totally uninformed than one would expect on a normal forum.  We have our own little resort on Samui and the activity of the booking platforms is absolutely buzzing!  I suggest some of them would do well to take a more informed and balanced view before leaping on to their key boards!

Well good for you! Some on here like to paint Samui as a tropical version of Chernobyl.

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Just becoming comfortable with little or none around. 

Yer--I wish I had traveled Thailand more the last 2 years, done about 6 trips around , and the Thai pass was good-- Goverment paid for 40% of our meals in Phuket and 30% of the hotel. The only thing stopping people coming to Thailand, I think will be the horrific price of the air fares---

• Like 1