Could Thailand now be the place to book a holiday?

webfact

I used to pay around 600-700 Baht for a meal for two at the restaurants we usually go to.
I concur that the price is now about the same or even lower, but that's only because we take away the food to eat at home, and handle the rice and drinks ourselves...

If one wishes to travel to Thailand there are now no major obstacles , I am now planning a month in January with 3 friends.

Had to laugh at certain aspects of the article though , hard to believe that anybody takes the booking site ' rack ' rates at face value.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

Well good for you! Some on here like to paint Samui as a tropical version of Chernobyl.

Samui is in better shape now in terms of tourist numbers, but still far from the pre covid times. A couple of days ago most restaurants in Chaweng had 2-3 tables during peak times, Surf Up ( the current Ark Bar reincarnation) had zero customers 7:45pm.

Still the trend is slowly up, yesterday I flew out with Bangkok airways, there was a sizable check-in queue.

Quite a few Indian tourists around, mostly couples and families.

Could Thailand be the place to book a Holiday ?

Yes it is ! Along with Hundreds, if not thousands, of other attractive destinations.

To win an actual Booking, the Holiday destination has to offer more, and better for the Tourist to part with their Money.

Does Thailand offer these things, - its debatable

9 hours ago, webfact said:

This week, Kasikorn Bank’s financial pundits have said the Thai baht is likely to remain weak for the next few months, which bodes well for overseas vacationers’ wallets.

OK as we know the price of a seat on a flight from Europe or the States has jumped due to fuel costs and longer routes to avoid flying near Russia.

Who is this Michael Bridge muppet who penned this <deleted>? Must be sponsored by the TAT dream team. I'm guessing that he is American, as they are the tourists that will benefit the most from the current exchange rate. Flights are up at least 50% from a few months ago so this will be a major deterrent for a long haul flight to Thailand. 

A lot saying the tourists will not return so soon, but many will. My friend is going for a month from next week and will probably be there in the winter aswell. Unfortunately I will not be able to join him this time. I think the numbers will go up quickly for solo travelers but no where near pre pandemic levels. The air fares a quite steep and no doubt the hotels will hike their prices too soon and that will put off many especially with the cost of living squeeze. I think the Thai authorities will be disappointed, it will be the pensioners with money to burn arriving first, but in numbers not until the winter time in Europe and the USA. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

For this year ? Not a chance, the idiots have left it all to late.

How so? It's only June, the year has 6 months left to run. I'm looking at coming back this year...December through to April 2023.

Remember @RichardColeman the days of everyone taking "holidays" in June and July are long gone.

5 hours ago, jvs said:

Some of you are talking about people not going to come because of the economic

situation.

I think just because of that a lot of (older) foreigners are wanting to spend the coming

winter over here.

Prices of fuel and energy(heating costs) but also electricity are soaring!

If people can rent a cheap house over here for 3 or 5 months they can be warm all winter

for the same amount of money as staying there.

Yes flight costs are also increasing but for the sake of quality of life i know what i would do.

Of course Covid is also a concern and in a few countries ,including Thailand new cases are

on the rise again but there are no indications yet the new variations are really dangerous.

Got it in one! Even allowing for the increased flight prices, I reckon next winter will be cheaper in Thailand than UK (and more fun!)

As for Covid, I'm triple-vaxxed, likely to get another booster soon so why would that worry me?

Regardless of legal requirements, my travel insurance WILL cover any treatment as it always has.

I'm 67 - not that many years left to behave like an adolescent - Carpe Diem!  ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forza2002 said:

Who is this Michael Bridge muppet who penned this <deleted>? Must be sponsored by the TAT dream team. I'm guessing that he is American,

Per Linkd In:

Education
Bryanston School Dorset UK Graphic
Bryanston School Dorset UK
-

"The price of eating out is generally lower than in pre-pandemic days,..............."

I have to disagree with that one!

Where I live, the (Typical Thai) logic seems to be similar to that of the bars -"We have no/few customers so we have to put up our prices to compensate."

A local restaurant that we used to frequent regularly because of its quality and low price has lost our custom because the price of a steak has gone in 2 years from a very reasonable 320 baht to 340 baht to 390 to 500 baht!

And the quantity/quality of their other dishes has also deteriorated, so they have lost not only us as customers,but a few other expats that use to frequent the place have stopped going.

I know the post said "generally" cheaper", but not from my experience as the above example is not in isolation.

9 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Where I am is cold and wet.

A week and a bit ago I was in a top resort with my girlfriend that had been quarter of the cost of a similar Australian hotel on a nice clean beach. 

I think some of the full costs quoted in the article  were never going to be charged in low season but there are definitely good deals to be had.

Good dining options half or less the cost of Australia. 

Keep in mind most people don't have the mindset of the naysayers who have followed the to and fro of the pandemic in Thailand, Thailand Pass, TAT policies etc. They are cold and bored after 2 years without a holiday.  They see a nice hotels and beach at a good price. I think many will be back.

Agree. If passport is current. In Oz renewals are taking many weeks.

I’ve booked Phuket/Krabi for October via BKK and Penang. Cold and bored and off to Bali in 3 weeks.????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

"The price of eating out is generally lower than in pre-pandemic days,..............."

Where I live, the (Typical Thai) logic seems to be similar to that of the bars -"We have no/few customers so we have to put up our prices to compensate."

A local restaurant that we used to frequent regularly because of its quality and low price has lost our custom because the price of a steak has gone in 2 years from a very reasonable 320 baht to 340 baht to 390 to 500 baht!

And the quantity/quality of their other dishes has also deteriorated, so they have lost not only us as customers,but a few other expats that use to frequent the place have stopped going.

I know the post said "generally" cheaper", but not from my experience as the above example is not in isolation.

It is incumbent upon us to boycott idiots and imbeciles. Whether or not it is "the Thai way", it is the opposite of good business sense, defies a competitive market, and they simply do not deserve your patronage. I show my disapproval with my feet and my wallet. And many of them end up going out of business. When a good, hard working Thai, who runs a fairly priced operation goes under, I feel for them. When an out of touch nutter goes under, it means nothing to me. See ya! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

I could understand [hardly though] someone from Europe considering Thailand as a winter destination, but during summer?? OMG!

There is a reason why the winter is referred to as High Season.

Summer months have always been the lowest of the low season, even the rubbish British weather is preferable.

2 hours ago, sambum said:

Food prices have risen in the last two years , prices at source and so the menu prices increase , restaurants need to turn a profit and with fewer customers , they need to compensate by raising prices even further .

Its not greed , the alternative would be to close the business down 

11 hours ago, notrub said:

Especially attractive now the mask mandate is gone.  Great! Invite people from all over the world and breathe in their breaths.  I am keeping my mask handy and will wear it in any public place.  Here in Isaan we still wear them in shops. 

I've been to Thailand a few times,never to Isaan.Wife is from the Bangkok area, i've since learned Isaan is mostly poor farmers hence no real attraction from a tourist point of view.Point is i don't think you have to be concerned with breathing their breaths.

6 hours ago, VBF said:

How so? It's only June, the year has 6 months left to run. I'm looking at coming back this year...December through to April 2023.

Remember @RichardColeman the days of everyone taking "holidays" in June and July are long gone.

Think you answered your own question. YOU are a returnee and coming NOT for a holiday I would say but an extended period of near 5 months - that is not a holiday in my books.

Family Holidays are mostly 2-3 weeks,  people looking to travel to Thailand as a family rarely book on impulse - especially as Thailand is really only opening as the european schools finish for summer. It's just too late for most - sure some will come, but  not the idiotic numbers they think.

It could pick up towards the end of the year, but I seriously think the nest 4-5 months will be dire and December better

• Like 2

Even people who were dropped on their heads as infants realize that Thailands, nay, the worlds demographic of holiday makers is never going to be the same.  The volume won't be there and people can pretend to be in a high class place with stinky sewers and rats abounding.  

IT's ok though, and I"m not bashing Thailand.  It had its charms.  

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

'Booking a holiday' Dunno. But now is the time to consider visiting Thailand.

I agree if you have the money to do it.  Let's face it, Chinese are not coming back for at least another five years. They still are not renewing passports and when they do (if they do!), the que will take years and years to get them out in a timely manner.  

I think it would be very interesting to see it right now.  

3 minutes ago, Reposed said:

Well, good luck.

Thais, when business is slow, don't lower prices to get customers, they raise them.

Duh-uh....

Have you not been in Thailand the last few years ?

Hotel prices have plummeted and some condos have cut their price rate in half