Unauthorised Transactions out of my Credit Card last night

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in hell right now as my offshore I O M Standard Bank account is stuffed with fraudulent charges - the fraud staff are pretty useless, froze my debit card leaving me without any way to access everyday funds , now want only three months' worth of fraud details- they only sent me two statements over some years so I couldn't check in a continuing manner.

Their support staff mean well but won't accept what I'm telling them - now they're only interested in the past three months' scams but this has been going on for some years, totalling around 1,000 pound sterling in losses.  I'm thinking of taking the entire mess to the financial ombudsman, after which I'll close my Standard Bank account and transfer my remaining funds to Kasikorn Bank here in CM.

Update to my post above -- just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, they did. Now my Standard Bank account and its debit card are blocked for the second time - no reason given except the usual <deleted> about security. As of now, placing of my life savings in a 'secure' account has only resulted in my being denied all access to them when I choose to close the account and transfer the cash to Kasikorn .

Interestingly, the reason I decided to close the darn account was that the bank refused to even consider investigating the large number of unauthorised transactions - scams - or to refund me some of the money I'd lost as a result.  It's their 'policy' to only check three such - but I've seen no refunds and the investigation is now closed.

I've some cash and some in a small account with Kasikorn - enough to keep me going for a month or so - God only knows what I'll do when that runs out. Got another call from Standard this morning - the guy cut off when I started crying. Hasn't called back. If you were duped into placing your life savings in Standard Bank - do be very, very careful when you decide to transfer it elsewhere.

I'm a 78 year-old widow with an existing health condition who's lived some 16 years in CM - apart from the LMIM scandal years ago I've never heard of a bank known for providing services for expats behaving in this manner before. Take care and remember this tale of woe when you place your hard-earned cash and pensions.

Capital One has a really cool feature called virtual cards

I have like 17 of them now

You just go online to your account & generate one against a card you have

It gives a new 16 digit acct number & exp date as well as secure code

Then you use it for say a company you use often like electric or cable or a shopping place you frequent

That card # can only be used at the place you first use it at

If anything goes wrong (unlikely since can only be used at that one merchant)  just cancel that virtual card & it does not affect your actual card + the fact it can only be used at the originating merchant/charge

I just keep a memo with the numbers so I don't need to go back online to get them each time

Been using about year & So far has been flawless

PS: Capital One has no Foreign transaction fees

Edited by mania