Unauthorised Transactions out of my Credit Card last night

Yes, although mine were stopped by the two-factor authentication.

Lot's of middle of the night SMS's asking for authentication, followed by a similar number from Citi Thailand asking for me to call Fraud Prevention (the phone sleeps on the lounge table, I don't answer at night).

Oddly enough one transaction actually got through, no idea how, Citi cancelled it no problem although I did have to wait for the $40 someone had spent in the US.

New card in the post job done.

• Like 2

I got hit last year, I am 90%+ certain the card details were taken when paying for a bill at a restaurant, as that was the only time I had used the card in the preceding few weeks, the card was out of sight for a few minutes and the fraudulent transactions started the day after.  It's about time Thailand started using those roaming card readers, like you see in Europe, so payment can be made at the table. 

Some transactions got blocked but it appears the scammers knew some websites that didn't use 2F authentication and targeted those.

All transactions were ultimately reversed/cancelled by Citi and no loss for me. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not happened on Lazada and i use my credit card a lot. Do you save your card details on there? I don't 

Yes,  but I won't now.  It's my 2nd time,  first time bank stopped the transactions, but not this time,  small amounts went through. 

39 minutes ago, realfunster said:

I got hit last year, I am 90%+ certain the card details were taken when paying for a bill at a restaurant, as that was the only time I had used the card in the preceding few weeks, the card was out of sight for a few minutes and the fraudulent transactions started the day after.  It's about time Thailand started using those roaming card readers, like you see in Europe, so payment can be made at the table. 

Some transactions got blocked but it appears the scammers knew some websites that didn't use 2F authentication and targeted those.

All transactions were ultimately reversed/cancelled by Citi and no loss for me. 

Mine were small amounts that actually were approved,  woke me up with all the sms messages,  stopped transactions when hit 40,000 B.  Reported to Kasikorn Bank,  so hopefully they too reverse the transactions.

47 minutes ago, Richard 2020 said:

Yes, I've had it 3 times!
But no problem, the Bangkok Bank credited all payments back to my account!

For me, no reason not to shop online anymore, especially now that the certification on mobile has been added!

Was it credit card or debit card ?  Mine were all small amounts from my credit card,  I would of thought the banks can add OTP as a secruity even for small transactions. 

I found an unknown charge for 23,000 THB from Facebook on my Krungsri card on 17 June. Raised the issue with Krungsri same day, they cancelled card. Submitted an Investigation Request Form on 20 June. Debit refunded 27 June.

1 hour ago, davemax49 said:

I ordered items from Lazada yesterday,  this time I received an sms from Thailand post.  www.ethailandpost.top. to complete credit card payment for the postage.  

I think this is the key to what happened.  Perhaps an unfortunate coincidence that you got what sound like a scam SMS right after ordering something.  Was there anything specific in the SMS such as item description/order number or your name?

• Like 1

Just now, JaiMaai said:

I think this is the key to what happened.  Perhaps an unfortunate coincidence that you got what sound like a scam SMS right after ordering something.  Was there anything specific in the SMS such as item description/order number or your name?

SMS message from Thailandpost to pay for postage right after ordering the item on Lazada,  I checked my item on Lazada and it wasn't shipped.  So  I thought need to pay for the postage on Thailand post to get it shipped. 

That seems like a very dodgy and non official website and the IP being hosted in Marocco. In this case the setup could be that they either hacked lazada seller accounts or also pretend to be official sellers while then abusing it doing phising. 

You should contact the payment provider or processor they used to get them stopped I guess, then there is a chance you still see money back too.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Can you tell, what did you buy exactly? Maybe you can notice something special, like that lazada shop just being new or very big etc.

Two small items.  Electronic items and a wallet.  I think it was the sms message later that did it from Thailandpost.  

3 hours ago, davemax49 said:

Was it credit card or debit card ?  Mine were all small amounts from my credit card,  I would of thought the banks can add OTP as a secruity even for small transactions. 

Perhaps  the amounts are equal  to 'touch and  go' transactions and don't require  verification.

As said above this does not appear to have anything to do with Lazada - just a spam message getting card details that happened to arrive after an actual order making you less cautious.  There has been a lot of such recently.  As for Lazada have my CC on file with them and have never had an issue.  As also said most problems come when unknown people take card out of view and copy data - always remove 3 digit code if you use card in such a way (remember/write it down so you have it first).  As for portable card readers they are available everywhere in Thailand - all your delivery services use them as well as hospitals/merchants.  

• Like 2

This week I got  a call on my UK sim card about fraud and was asked  to contact  my bank with a number but I ignored the request and used a different  phone and different  bank number who told me there was no blocks on my account so they had not called.

I researched  the number online. Some people said  it was a fraud number others that  it was  valid.

The number began with 0808 which is a common scam number.

A month ago a Thai number with a 0808 prefix  contacted me.

I ignored  both

+6680866⁰3124

+448082800767 and blocked them

Had a problem a while back, several 50 GBP charges to my UK credit card from a games company. Odd as i have never bought anything from them.  My UK bank cancelled the card and refunded me the charges.

I never use a credit card to buy anything in Thailand (except air fares and hotels) and would never have my credit card details recorded on their files.

On 6/29/2022 at 3:09 PM, ianguygil said:

Thx.

Question please.

Can you freeze/disable the card when you don't need it and unfreeze/enable it again afterwards when you want to use it again? Or alternatively set the limit to 0?

Yes you can. It's clearly stated on the webpage ????

Edited by MJCM