Currency Exchange

Nathan23

Hello,

I'm travelling to Thailand on Sunday and have been looking around for the best rates to exchange currency (from GBP to BHT). Most places in the UK offer a rate of approx 62 BHT, but Bangkok Bank are currently displaying rates of 67.53 which is far better, but are these rates what they actually offer you and do they take a large commission?

I'll be arriving at Bangkok Airport at approx 18:50 and don't expect any banks to be open this late, is it wise to transfer some currency at home so I'll at least have something when I arrive?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first time to Thailand and I'm really excited about it!

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Nathan

Edited by Nathan23

Hello,

I'm travelling to Thailand on Sunday and have been looking around for the best rates to exchange currency (from GBP to BHT). Most places in the UK offer a rate of approx 62 BHT, but Bangkok Bank are currently displaying rates of 67.53 which is far better, but are these rates what they actually offer you and do they take a large commission?

I'll be arriving at Bangkok Airport at approx 18:50 and don't expect any banks to be open this late, is it wise to transfer some currency at home so I'll at least have something when I arrive?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first time to Thailand and I'm really excited about it!

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Nathan

plenty of forex here and will give you bkk bank rate open all hrs,cash point card will also work here but check with issuing bank for charges.

first time in thailand good luck it' its going to blow your socks off

A little trick I have found is to bring a small amount of Thai baht with that I have saved by exchanging at the exchange at the airport each paycheck.(yes the exchange rate is a pain but also it makes things easier on arrival IMHO) Then when I do travel to Thailand I will have some in my wallet/purse and will not have to worry about changing money the first few days till I am over the jet lag and such.

Also never ever exchange your money at the hotels in Thailand the rate is horrible.

Nathan,

I don't know where you live in the UK, put if you are in Scotland then do bring English banknotes with you as the banks and bureaux de change over here are very funny about changing Scottish (and Irish) ones. They also like fairly clean notes and notes not ripped.

Nathan,

I don't know where you live in the UK, put if you are in Scotland then do bring English banknotes with you as the banks and bureaux de change over here are very funny about changing Scottish (and Irish) ones. They also like fairly clean notes and notes not ripped.

Thanks for the info.

I live in Wales and will be bringing the standard bank notes, fresh from the bank (all new style bank notes).

Edited by Nathan23

Nathan,

Thanks for the info.

I live in Wales and will be bringing the standard bank notes, fresh from the bank (all new style bank notes).

do yourself a favour and bring travellers cheques ,its much safer being your 1st time ,its going to blow your mind :o

You will get a better rate if you change in Thailand for both cash and TC's. The exchange booths will be open at the airport when you arrive and if you are heading to the tourist areas the exchange windows of banks are plentiful and open all night.

You can also get cash using your UK bank card in the ATM's in Thailand but there will be some commission charge but usually fair exchange rates. Provided you hang on to your card and nobody gets to know your pin it's a safe way of getting cash as you need it.

Enjoy Thailand

That's not quite right.

The bank exchange booths in town are not open all night. On the Khaosan Road, they are open until 9pm. There may be one open later, near Patpong Night Market.

Don't exchange any money before you arrive in Thailand. It's a pointless and wasteful action. The bank exchange booths at the airport will be open. The rate at the airport is much the same as in town. The rate on the table that you linked to, should be similar to the rate that you will receive.

The rate for Travellers Cheques is shown under Sight Bill.

If you choose to purchase TCs, purchase American Express Sterling TCs in high denominations. Reject Thomas Cook/Visa TCs.

If you have the time, apply for a Nationwide Building Society Flexaccount and use the Debit Card for cash withdrawals. It's the best and most cost effective method. You don't need to use it as your main account; http://www.nationwide.co.uk/current_account/default.htm

Ok? :o

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Watch it getting Sterling travellers checks in the UK. I got my last bunch of TC's at the good old post office and they issue all other currencies free but charge for Sterling. <deleted>? Go figure that one. It may be a peculiarity to the PO but I brought USD TC's.

As the others have said, the exchange booths at BKK airport will be open when you arive so change a bit up there and then. Leave the rest until you get to your final destination and change them up in smallish amounts.

Another thing, watch it exchanging money at UK high street banks. A few years ago I got ripped off by the RBOS something rotten, I could have got a better exchange rate at Heathrow. We live and learn.

**** IMPORTANT ****

Nathan

Your UK bank debit and credit cards will work in Thailand - there are ATMs everywhere in the main towns and tourist areas - but be sure to let your issuing bank and CC company know that you are coming here, otherwise you may find that your transactions will be refused. They are worried about fraud, and rightly so.

Just phone them a couple of days before you leave UK and let them know the appropriate dates. You will then not have any problem using the cards here. There is usually a phone number printed on the rear side of the debit or credit card and you can use that.

Have a nice time - I'm sure that you will!

DM

That's not quite right.

The bank exchange booths in town are not open all night. On the Khaosan Road, they are open until 9pm. There may be one open later, near Patpong Night Market.

Don't exchange any money before you arrive in Thailand. It's a pointless and wasteful action. The bank exchange booths at the airport will be open. The rate at the airport is much the same as in town. The rate on the table that you linked to, should be similar to the rate that you will receive.

If you choose to purchase TCs, purchase American Express Sterling TCs in high denominations. Reject Thomas Cook/Visa TCs.

If you have the time, apply for a Nationwide Building Society Flexaccount and use the Debit Card for cash withdrawals. It's the best and most cost effective method. You don't need to use it as your main account; http://www.nationwide.co.uk/current_account/default.htm

Interesting one, the nationwide. I am back to NE Issan in October. My wife is thai been in the uk 3 yrs now and her current acct is at nationwide. do we think all the atm transactions using her acct will go thru free or will the bank owning the atm charge £2.50 ? THe whole businmess of ATM withdrawals seems a bit of a lotto...I can never work out which ATMs charge me....you dont even know till you come home....and the rate is a mystery....its just the convenience I suppose.

Where ARE the best rates in town in Thailand right now ?

I like the security of the atm AND the fact that when I am in a remote area (sakhon nakhon), as I will be in October, it can be a pain finding somewhere to exchange travellers cheques. Is the travellers cheque exchange rate usually better or worse than the atm rate ? Does anyone know ?

Also Nathan put a spare 300 baht in a separate pocket you will need it around 11pm the first night !

That's not quite right.

Interesting one, the nationwide. I am back to NE Issan in October. My wife is thai been in the uk 3 yrs now and her current acct is at nationwide. do we think all the atm transactions using her acct will go thru free or will the bank owning the atm charge £2.50 ? THe whole businmess of ATM withdrawals seems a bit of a lotto...I can never work out which ATMs charge me....you dont even know till you come home....and the rate is a mystery....its just the convenience I suppose.

Where ARE the best rates in town in Thailand right now ?

I like the security of the atm AND the fact that when I am in a remote area (sakhon nakhon), as I will be in October, it can be a pain finding somewhere to exchange travellers cheques. Is the travellers cheque exchange rate usually better or worse than the atm rate ? Does anyone know ?

Also Nathan put a spare 300 baht in a separate pocket you will need it around 11pm the first night !

see http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/We...es/FX+Rates.htm

for cash they give 67.76 for TC 68.49 just dont forget the closing time at the bank though !

suppose all things being equal mebbe take most in TQ and a couple of hundred on ATM as backup?

• 2 weeks later...