Thailand’s dual pricing still gets everyone posting

webfact

I tend to now avoid the casual/impulse visits to such establishments but will not let it stop me (cut off my nose to spite my face) on occasions when I’m visiting with a group of Thais. They would ,given my overall spend when at such a venue earn more from me by not discriminating. However taking a balanced view incorporating the huge difference in other aspects (fuel prices,domestic energy costs,council tax = local tax on housing,eating out etc. I and suspect most of us are well ahead overall vs in our Home Counties . AND none of this woke ???? pervading everything! ???? 

On 6/30/2022 at 7:23 AM, Callmeishmael said:

Before the coup I could just show my Thai Drivers License and usually get the Thai price.  One of the first acts of the Generals was to put a stop to that!

Yes. That was the only reason of the coup. To <deleted> tourists.

23 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Racist

Slow learners may have something to do with slow teachers.  Of course I am racist; Thais are slow learners one has only to look at the cream of the crop running the country.  You'll be saying next that Thais are good drivers.  How many have to die before they realise helmets are a good thing?

Edited by mikebell
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Slow learners may have something to do with slow teachers.  Of course I am racist; Thais are slow learners one has only to look at the cream of the crop running the country.  You'll be saying next that Thais are good drivers.

Wow, do you say this to your Thai friends?

Oh, you have none. 

I hope you don't have any Thai relatives. 

Hope you are not a Yank.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Wow, do you say this to your Thai friends?

Oh, you have none. 

I hope you don't have any Thai relatives. 

Hope you are not a Yank.

I've been here 20 years; had a wife; put two stepdaughters through teacher training; have a farang son in Bangkok who runs a successful business. I do not have any close Thai friends because of the language problems. (my Thai is better than their English.) I am not a Yank but English.  Coming here was the best single decision of my life.  I love the weather; the girls; the food; cost of living.  In this time I have learned Thais are infinitely more racist and xenophobic than I.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I've been here 20 years; had a wife; put two stepdaughters through teacher training

How long did it take for them to graduate, being slow learners?

Did your wife leave you because of your racist views?

Generalizations like you said, "This are slow learners" are simply wrong. 

I do not have any close Thai friends because of the language problems. (my Thai is better than their English.)

20 years in Thailand and you can't communicate in Thai. One could assume Englishmen are slow learners :cheesy:

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:30 AM, ThailandRyan said:

????...You just can not let that one go now can you...????

Well is it OK for Aussies in Thailand to complain about Thais getting into a temple for 80 baht less but not OK for Thais to complain about Aussies getting into a golf club for 5,000 baht less?

The Thai bashers have to be neutralized.

3 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I don't wear glasses but I did have another coffee.

I know I'm not the most popular member here, I've probably got more sad and confused reactions than most, I speak the truth and some of you don't like the truth.

Thailand has been my home for over 20 years, I have nothing negative to say, no complaints. It just confuses me, I don't understand why so many foreigners choose to make Thailand their home then complain about every little thing, how bloody childish.

I reckon some of you have made the wrong decision moving to Thailand and are angry with yourself for your poor choices, please stay angry with yourself but keep your anger to yourself.

Reading some of these comments I have teenager children that are more mature than some of you members. 

Imagine living back in your home country, now that would be something to moan about. 

Some of you need to look at where you are and where you could be.

One thing to bear in mind as you see this forum bombarded by Thai bashers is that the majority of posters are in their 70s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thailand has been my home for over 20 years, I have nothing negative to say, no complaints. 

Reckon I will catch you out on that one.

BTW, Some forum members don't like the truth told about some of the things the Thais get up to.

It can truly be an Amazing Thailand some days. :jap:

Reading some of these comments I have teenager children that are more mature than some of you members. 

Does this below remind you of anyone ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2x_DI7tzNQ

Edited by Orinoco

39 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I don't wear glasses but I did have another coffee.

I know I'm not the most popular member here, I've probably got more sad and confused reactions than most, I speak the truth and some of you don't like the truth.

Thailand has been my home for over 20 years, I have nothing negative to say, no complaints. It just confuses me, I don't understand why so many foreigners choose to make Thailand their home then complain about every little thing, how bloody childish.

I reckon some of you have made the wrong decision moving to Thailand and are angry with yourself for your poor choices, please stay angry with yourself but keep your anger to yourself.

Imagine living back in your home country, now that would be something to moan about. 

Some of you need to look at where you are and where you could be.

The irony is that most of the serial whingers who bitch and moan about anything and everything here are the same type of people who, when back in their home country, whinge and moan about foreigners not assimilating etc.  Imagine how angry they would be with foreigners in their country not respecting the rules or the culture, complaining that the native Brits are slow learners, racists, lazy, stupid etc.

Like you I don't understand why you would want to go through life being that angry and bitter about where you have chosen to live.  I don't have any of the problems with the Thais that these people have, maybe because I make an effort to understand them and to - shock horror - make friends with them.

16 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Not only in Thailand, and it doesn't bother me. Small money after all.

I think for the majority of people the problem is not the Small money but more the discrimination/ segregation / racism / antagonism

Edited by Mavideol

15 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

When I’m in the US, I’m in Delaware, and there’s dual pricing here for state parks -- out-of-state visitors pay more than in-state residents. The logic is, Delawareans are already paying something for the upkeep of the parks via state taxes. However, the price differential is reasonable. Seems that the difference in Thailand is ten times more, which is not reasonable.

Any Thai person can go to Delaware to live on a short term basis even and get a local discount. Marriage visa, student visa, get a state ID card next they have all the benefits Ocean View, DE born and bred. So go take Thai nationality! 555 A pipe dream for most expats. Dual pricing is pure racism in Thailand, the differential as you said unreasonable and even Thia courts have ruled it correct and beneficial. 

• Like 2

I just don't bother going to places that charge dual pricing.  yes, it means I may miss out on seeing certain attractions in Thailand, but I won't lose sleep over it.  We all have different attitudes and principles when it comes to how foreigners are treated.  I just don't like being ripped off and it irks me enough to not go.  Others will take it in their stride and pay the extra.  Whatever you want doesn't bother me and vice versa.  But the national parks and other attractions are the ones to lose out if there are enough foreigners avoiding the places.  However, I suppose the thousands of tourists who get herded in and out of those diesel fume spilling coaches just pay whatever is asked.  

Hospitals on the other hand really annoy me as they are an essential service and our hand is forced in circumstances where we may be injured or fall ill and our insurance does not cover all aspects.  The triple tiered pricing is terribly unfair.  Our bodies are anatomically the same as other Thais.  There is no need to charge us more.  It is a greed based system.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

How long did it take for them to graduate, being slow learners?

Did your wife leave you because of your racist views?

Generalizations like you said, "This are slow learners" are simply wrong. 

20 years in Thailand and you can't communicate in Thai. One could assume Englishmen are slow learners :cheesy:

Please get someone to read this for you slowly.  My stepdaughters took the usual four year teacher training course and came out knowing as much as the average 13 year old English student.

I divorced my Thai wife because of her greed.

'Generalizations like you said, "This are slow learners" are simply wrong.' as is your expression.

'My Thai is better than their English' should have suggested I am a competent Thai speaker far more than my Thai acquaintances are in English.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Well is it OK for Aussies in Thailand to complain about Thais getting into a temple for 80 baht less but not OK for Thais to complain about Aussies getting into a golf club for 5,000 baht less?

The Thai bashers have to be neutralized.

by neutralised you mean "terminated with extreme prejudice", right? ????

• Haha 1

@webfactyou qoute an  Aussie moaner who says it wouldn't happen in Straya. did you ask the dropkick if 1) NSW Dine and Discover vouchers were available to Thai tourists and 2) do Thai over-65s get automatically provided with a NSW Seniors card on arrival at SYD so they can get crazy discounts like me dear old mum?

oh, and don't get me started about whether or not Thai tourists get cheap meds under the Federal Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme. stupid, lazy, slow-learning Strayan gubbers! ????????????

• Like 1

C'mon man!

You know the thing!

Thai's efforts to extract every possible Baht out of foreigners is a traditional culture.

You can't change tradition or culture.  

7 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

@webfactyou qoute an  Aussie moaner who says it wouldn't happen in Straya. did you ask the dropkick if 1) NSW Dine and Discover vouchers were available to Thai tourists and 2) do Thai over-65s get automatically provided with a NSW Seniors card on arrival at SYD so they can get crazy discounts like me dear old mum?

oh, and don't get me started about whether or not Thai tourists get cheap meds under the Federal Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme. stupid, lazy, slow-learning Strayan gubbers! ????????????

Also, it is MUCH more expensive for Thai students to study there, yet locals get big discounts. 

Australian students get equal treatment here. 

15 minutes ago, berrec said:

C'mon man!

You know the thing!

Thai's efforts to extract every possible Baht out of foreigners is a traditional culture.

You can't change tradition or culture.  

sounds like they're very fast learners. Banks have been doing this to their Western customers for centuries. as do the respective inland revenue services of said Western countries.

Edited by Lemsta69

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Also, it is MUCH more expensive for Thai students to study there, yet locals get big discounts. 

Australian students get equal treatment here. 

"but that's different because.... reasons" ????

19 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

sounds like they're very fast learners. Banks have been doing this to their Western customers for centuries. as do the respective inland revenue services of said Western countries.

Taxis in London ripping off tourists by taking circuitous routes.  Fake theatre ticket sellers in Leicester Square targeting tourists, the people offering to take pictures of tourists near Big Ben who then run off with your phone.

Extracting every single penny out of tourists with horrendous extortionate prices for entry to the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, London Dungeon, Madame Tussauds etc.  

Oops, sorry, no, scams and tourist rip offs only happen in Thailand, I forgot.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Taxis in London ripping off tourists by taking circuitous routes.  Fake theatre ticket sellers in Leicester Square targeting tourists, the people offering to take pictures of tourists near Big Ben who then run off with your phone.

Extracting every single penny out of tourists with horrendous extortionate prices for entry to the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, London Dungeon, Madame Tussauds etc.  

Oops, sorry, no, scams and tourist rip offs only happen in Thailand, I forgot.

thanks for the "Great" British perspective ????. I refuse to visit there because the £ is grossly overvalued. 1 GBP = 1.7766 AUD. that's racist! ????  

26 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I disagree. 

I am white but get the Thai price. If it were a racial policy, I wouldn't get it.

I get it (your point) . Some don't. Thai Nationality is a pipe dream for most expats as I have said many times. So, in my opinion to admit it is a Nationalistic policy would be a  cop out. Honestly If I had decided to become Thai I could have started 30 years ago and sure I could have succeeded but would have lived a completely different life. I have no problems with a local discount or medical discounts based on paying into a system as opposed to some visitors freeloading but in the case of Thailand the bar to entry is high.

I somehow can understand the dual pricing in national parks and some museums, but not in any thing commercial.

I mean in National parks Thai citizens pay for maintenance of the parks and such with their taxes. While tourists just come and use the park and it's resources. Many also leave rubbish behind. Foreigners working here and pay tax should pay Thai price if they show their work permit but i know many places charge Farang price as soon as you look foreign, mening that many Philippinos and others just pay Thai price.

For Restaurants and Hospitals and such dual pricing is just awful. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 11:25 AM, aussienam said:

I just don't bother going to places that charge dual pricing. 

Dual pricing, especially 5x or 10x the price of a local tells me that I'm not wanted in this place, so I don't bother. If it were, say, 40 baht for tourists and 20 baht for locals, I wouldn't mind, but 10x is clearly a ripp-off.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 3:00 PM, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

Thailand is not only Racist but also Xenophobic as well, the fact that following the Pandemic they have lost nearly 20% GDP, does not seem to faze them. If all the Expats left, Thailand woul;d be so POOR yet they still treat us like criminals from Visas to Entry prices, if that happened in the UK the Government would be hung out to dry !!

If all the expats left noone would notice LOL. Their money comes from tourists, 99.9%.